TRAINEESHIP PROGRAMME AT THE EUROPEAN UNION DELEGATION TO CAMBODIA "New" ()
1. GENERAL DESCRIPTION
The EU Delegation to the Kingdom of Cambodia offers traineeships for university graduate and post-graduate degree holders. Our intense traineeship programme is designed for highly-motivated young graduates and post-graduates to get direct experience of the EU-Cambodia political and economic relations by taking part in the activities of the EU Delegation.
Traineeships are offered exclusively on a volunteer (unpaid) basis for a period of minimum 4 months and up to 6 months. We welcome applicants of all nationalities and backgrounds. Applications from Cambodian citizens are strongly encouraged.
2. PURPOSE OF TRAINEESHIPS
The purpose of a traineeship within the EU Delegation to Cambodia is to provide the trainees with an opportunity to:
- have a unique, first-hand experience of the day-to-day work of the European Union Delegation to Cambodia, in a multicultural environment,
- deepen their knowledge of the various aspects of EU-Cambodia relations and EU policies in general,
- familiarise with the functioning of the EU Institutions,
- put into practice the knowledge acquired during their studies, particularly in their specific areas of competence.
We offer traineeships in the following Sections of the EU Delegation:
- Political and Trade Section (selection completed - next traineeship period available: from September 2012 onwards)
- Co-operation Section (selection open)
- Press and Information Section (selection open)
Tasks mainly consist of: assisting in research and reporting on various issues, analysing information and documentation,participating in meetings, conferences and other events (on political, economic, diplomatic and development co-operation issues) relevant to the work of the Delegation, assisting the Delegation in organising various events such as seminars, conferences, meetings, etc.
Who can apply?
- Graduate degree holders and post-graduate students.
- Applicants must have completed their studies at a university or equivalent institution. Undergraduates (for instance, students pursuing a Bachelor's degree) are not eligible.
- Excellent command of English (written, spoken and read) and good knowledge of French. Knowledge of Khmer language would be an asset;
- Computer literacy: ability to work with software for word processing, spreadsheets, e-mails, and internet browser.
4. DURATION AND COMPENSATION
Traineeships are offered throughout the year and the selection process takes place, in principle, twice a year.
The duration of the traineeship is at least four months and may not exceed six months.
Candidates should commit on a full time basis, i.e. 37.5 hours per week, Monday through Fridays.
Traineeships are offered exclusively on a volunteer (unpaid) basis.
The Delegation will not be able to support the Trainee in the following matters:
- The European Institutions do not offer grants or remuneration during the traineeship.
- The Trainee is responsible for the organisation of his/her flights to and out of Cambodia, his/her accommodation and the purchase of his/her insurance (illness, accidents).
- Non-Cambodian trainees must apply and obtain their visa before they arrive in Cambodia and register their stay in Cambodia to their respective Consulate on their arrival.
There is no specific application form. If you wish to apply, please send:
- A letter of motivation indicating your motivation for the traineeship with the EU Delegation to Cambodia;
- Your curriculum vitae;
- An essay or an article in English language on subjects relevant to our selected area of choice for the traineeship (political, trade, co-operation or press), possibly related to EU policies/affairs.
- A readable photocopy of your passport (or ID for Cambodian citizens or permanent residents of Cambodia)
The candidate must not have already benefited from previous in-service training or employment (paid or unpaid) with any of the European institutions or bodies for more than six weeks;
The Delegation is not able to recruit a European Commission Blue Book candidate who has already performed his/her internship. However, a European Commission Blue Book candidate who has never carried out a traineeship can apply for an unpaid internship;
Expatriated trainees have to register with their national Consulate or Embassy. The Delegation cannot undertake the responsibility towards the trainee in case it is necessary to evacuate EC Staff from the country.
Please e-mail your application clearly marked with 'Internship Application' in the subject line and clearly indicating the area of choice (political, trade, cooperation, or press and information) by e-mail only to: email@example.com
Only applications received via this mailbox will be taken into consideration.
If selected, the trainee will need to provide the proof that he/she has suitable sickness/accident insurance coverage; for expatriated trainees, it is highly recommended to have a sickness/accident insurance policy specifically covering repatriation.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
You are advised not to make arrangements for your travel to Cambodia to commence the internship until you have obtained a visa/permit/pass.
Please do NOT send the originals of your transcripts, certificates and other official documents as these will not be returned to you.
The traineeship will be terminated immediately should a conflict of interest arises during the trainee's assignment, or if the rules of confidentiality are not respected, or if the trainee misbehaves, or if the level of the trainee’s professional performance or knowledge of the working language is insufficient for the proper execution of his/her duties, or if at any moment it becomes apparent that the trainee knowingly made wrongful declarations, or provided false statements or papers at the moment of application or during the traineeship period.
If a trainee wishes to terminate his/her traineeship earlier than the date specified in the contract, a written request must be submitted by the trainee to the Delegation. This request, stating the relevant reasons, must be submitted at least three weeks in advance of the new termination date foreseen, via the Head of Administration.