The Role of the EU Delegation
The European Union is represented in Mozambique by a Delegation in Maputo established in 1985. The Delegation has full diplomatic privileges and immunities with the Head of Delegation, Mr. Paul Malin.
The Delegation in Maputo is one of over 140 European Union Delegations in the world.
The entry into force of the Lisbon Treaty on the 1st of December 2009 has reinforced the role of the Delegation in the area of political relations with the host country.
The Delegation's mandate include the following:
- Ensuring the representation of the European Union to the Republic of Mozambique ;
- Ensuring the follow-up of bilateral relations in the areas of political, economic, trade and external assistance cooperation (financial and technical);
- Ensuring the follow-up of EU policies in all sectors;
- Promoting and defending the values and interests of the EU;
- Coordinating with Member States embassies, particularly in the fields of Commission competences, notably trade and external assistance;
- Ensuring the long-term programming of aid and the management of programmes and development projects within the framework of the external aid management;
- Promoting the political and economic relations between Mozambique and the EU by maintaining extensive relations with governmental institutions and by increasing the awareness on the EU, its institutions and policies;
- Informing the European Union Headquarters abreast of significant political, economic and other developments in Mozambique and facilitate the operation and development of bilateral cooperation agreements;
- Managing a very substantial aid programme to Mozambique. The main instrument of co-operation is the European Development Fund (EDF) – currently the 10th EDF - under implementation with a budget of 634, 1 Mio € for the period 2008-2013. The EDF is complemented by other budget lines. Some of them are managed locally by the Delegation, for example, the European Instrument for Democracy and Human Rights, Food Security, Non-state Actors and Local Authorities. Others are centrally coordinated, for example, budget lines of Investing in People, Migration and Asylum, Climate Change;
- Informing and promoting knowledge of the EU and its values and policies.