Study in the EU
What is the Erasmus Mundus Programme?
Erasmus Mundus is a cooperation and mobility programme in the field of higher education that aims to enhance the quality of European higher education and to promote dialogue and understanding between people and cultures through cooperation with Third-Countries. In addition, it contributes to the development of human resources and the international cooperation capacity of Higher education institutions in Third Countries by increasing mobility between the European Union and these countries.
Erasmus Mundus 2009-2013 is implemented through of the following actions:
- Action 1: Erasmus Mundus joint programmes of outstanding quality at masters (Action 1 A) and doctoral (Action 1 B) levels including scholarships/fellowships to participate in these programmes;
- Action 2: Erasmus Mundus Partnerships between European and Third Country higher education institutions including scholarships and fellowships for mobility at all academic levels;
- Action 3: Promotion of European higher education through projects to enhance the attractiveness of Europe as an educational destination and a centre of excellence at world level.
The Programme Guide contains all the general information and the conditions on how to apply for funding. In addition, regular Calls for Proposals are published for the specific actions.
[Action 1] Joint Programmes including scholarships
Erasmus Mundus supports European top-quality Courses at Master level in order to promote the EU as a centre of excellence in learning around the world. They are integrated course of one to two years offered by at least three universities from three different European countries. They foresee a study period in at least two of the three universities and lead to the award of a recognised double, multiple or joint diploma.
[Action 2] Partnerships with Third Country higher education institutions and scholarships for mobility
In order to encourage graduate students and scholars from all over the world to obtain qualifications and experience in Europe, a scholarship scheme for highly qualified third country nationals is linked to the Erasmus Mundus Masters Courses. Students receive scholarships to follow the Masters Courses, scholars to teach or do research.
[Action 3] Promotion of European higher education
Action 3 promotes European higher education through measures enhancing the attractiveness of Europe as an educational destination and a centre of excellence at world level.
Action 3 projects should contribute to:
- the promotion and awareness raising of the European higher education sector as well as the relevant cooperation programmes and funding schemes;
- the dissemination of the programme's results and examples of good practice;
- the exploitation of these results at institutional and individual level.
This Action provides support to activities related to the international dimension of all aspects of higher education, such as promotion, accessibility, quality assurance, credit recognition, mutual recognition of qualifications, curriculum development and mobility.
Activities can be implemented by mixed networks of organisations active in the field of higher education composed of at least 3 participating organisations from European countries and 2 from Third Countries.
Link to Erasmus Mundus homepage: