European Union Launches Project to Promote Accountability and Effectiveness of the Judicial System of Ukraine (15/12/2008)
The European Union Programme on ‘Accountability and Effectiveness of Ukrainian Judiciary Functioning: Civil Service Component’ will be launched at a press conference on Tuesday, 16 December 2008, at 14:00 – 15:00 in the premises of the Supreme Court, 4-a, Pylyp Orlyk str., Kyiv.
The Programme on ‘Accountability and Effectiveness of Ukrainian Judiciary Functioning: Civil Service Component’ is aimed at assisting in the reform of the judiciary. The Programme will support the formation of an accessible, effective, transparent and professional judiciary in Ukraine, which will comply with relevant European standards. The Programme is planned to operate for two years, until December 2010.
The Programme includes: the creation of a basis for implementing modern court management; analysis of the legal framework governing court administrative practices and the development of recommendations for improvement, drawing on European ‘best practice’; and improvement of education and training for court personnel.
The Programme will be implemented by a consortium led by WYG International in partnership with the Supreme Court of Ukraine, the Ministry of Justice of Ukraine, the Council of Judges of Ukraine, the State Enforcement Service at the Ministry of Justice of Ukraine, the State Court Administration of Ukraine, the Centre for Professional Development of the Ministry of Justice and Academy of Judges of Ukraine.
This Programme has the following main goals:
- Improved personnel management in the courts;
- Improved court efficiency through the enhanced organisation and training of court personnel;
- Improved education and training of state enforcement officers;
- Compliance of the Ukrainian judicial system with relevant European standards.
The Programme will be introduced at the press conference by:
- Mr Vasyl Onopenko, Head of the Supreme Court of Ukraine/Honoured lawyer of Ukraine/DPhil;
- Mr Dirk Schuebel, Acting Head of the Delegation of the European Commission to Ukraine;
- Ms Edi Fracassini, Programme Team Leader.
For registration and additional information please contact:
Mrs Anna Lebedeva, Programme Expert in Communication and Visibility,
tel.: (+38 067) 5033187, e-mail: email@example.com