Negotiations on an EU-Iraq Partnership and Cooperation Agreement (PCA) began in November 2006. The Partnership and Cooperation Agreement will, once concluded, provide an overall framework for the cooperation and establish contractual relations between EU and Iraq. Through the Partnership and Cooperation Agreement the Commission aims to:
- Facilitate Iraq’s engagement with the international community and with the EU in particular, to the benefit of the internal and regional stabilisation process
- Stimulate and anchor ongoing institutional and socio-economic reforms
- Contribute to the socio-economic development of Iraq and to the improvement of living conditions in the country
- Promote bilateral trade relations in accordance with WTO principles
- Ensure a minimum level of predictability, transparency and legal certainty for economic operators
- Improve the trade arrangements between Iraq and the EU.