Vanuatu coast ©EU
Vanuatu is a member of the African, Caribbean and Pacific grouping.
The EU's political dialogue with Vanuatu focuses on:
- protecting its vulnerable environment, especially in relation to climate change
- defending human rights and gender issues.
The EU and Vanuatu are discussing how to collaborate more closely in multilateral fora on these and other issues.
The Third Enhanced EU – Vanuatu New Guinea political dialogue took place on 30 October 2014 in Port Vila. Important commitments were made notably in the areas of Human rights, good governance and rule of law.
Aid and cooperation
For the 2008-2013 period, the Country Strategy Paper provides a budget of €23.2m, including € 8.6 million for a General Budget Support from the 10thEuropean Development Fund (EDF).
The main focus areas for EU assistance and cooperation are:
economic growth and job creation, especially the private sector
- policy development for agriculture and tourism
- business support services, especially in rural areas
- commodity exports
- long-term secure access to land
- climate change – funded by the Global Climate Change Alliance, including building resilience to climate change (with the University of South Pacific).
For the period 2014-2020, under the 11th EDF, an indicative amount of € 31 m with focus on Rural Development is provided for in the National Indicative Programme signed on 9 December in Brussels.