VACANCY - International Non-Key Expert, JUSTAL
J U S T A L - Technical Assistance to Support the Implementation of the Crosscutting Justice Strategy EU Service Contract, Albania
- Build the management capacities of the units and staff responsible for the management of the CSJS
- Build the capacities of the relevant staff responsible for the statistical data collection, analysis, reporting and dissemination of the data in the judicial field
- Assist in the implementation of the communication plan
Content of the assignment:
- Elaboration of ‘Methodology’ for data collection, data delivery and data analysis in compliance with CEPEJ standards Training of staff in charge of data collection and data analysis needed for monitoring CSJS implementation
- Capacity building related to reporting, analytical and drafting skills, data collection and data analyses
- Contribution to the elaboration of access to the justice map
Expert category: Non-Key Expert (NKE)
Duration of assignment: Planned Max. 90 days in total Place of Performance: Tirana
The Technical Assistance ‘Support to the Implementation of the Crosscutting Justice Strategy’ (JUSTAL) is an EU funded Project, based on a Service Contract, which supports the Ministry of Justice of Albania (MoJ) to manage the Cross Sector Justice Strategy (CSJS) efficiently and effectively. The purpose of the contract is to:
- Strengthen the capacities of the MoJ to effectively implement the CSJS;
- Assist the justice system institutions to coordinate in the framework of the CSJS and respective Action Plan;
- Assist the justice system institutions to collect data and report on the results of the implementation of the CSJS;
- Strengthen the capacities of the justice system institutions to communicate on justice reform and the results of the implementation of the CSJS and its Action Plan.
JUSTAL also covers assistance to enhance the donor coordination capacities of the MoJ as well as the capacities of the General Directorate of Codification and Harmonisation of Legislation.
Assignment Background and Scope of the work
The objective of JUSTAL Component 1 is inter alia to strengthen the capacities of the MoJ to effectively implement the CSJS (result 1).
Under Activity 1.1.1. JUSTAL supports the MoJ in carrying out a Needs Assessment (NA) about the management capacities of the CSJS and in elaborating a Capacity Building Plan. Under Activity 1.1.2 JUSTAL supports the building of the management capacities of the units and staff responsible for the management of the CSJS in accordance with the Capacity Building Plan (elaborated under Activity 1.1.1.).
The objective of JUSTAL Component 2 is to enhance coordination and monitoring among the implementing institutions of the CSJS and to enhance reporting capacities of the judiciary, and particularly of the Ministry of Justice in its role of coordinator of the CSJS.
Under Activity 2.1.1. JUSTAL is supporting the MoJ in carrying out a mapping of the status quo and of the needs regarding the collection, analysis, reporting and dissemination of statistical data in the judicial field and in developing a capacity-building programme. This serves inter alia the achievement of policy goal 4 of the draft CSJS 2021-2025, which includes the preparation of the improved statistics of the sector and of the improved performance management systems, to identify time risks and increase the quality of the reporting.
JUSTAL carried out an analysis of the status quo related to monitoring, evaluation of and reporting about the implementation of the CSJS as well as collection and analysis of the data underlying the evaluation of the implementation of the CSJS and is in process of elaborating a Capacity Building Programme containing capacity building measures. In this context, JUSTAL inter alia found that the MoJ is leading the monitoring and reporting on the implementation of several justice-related strategies. In particular, the monitoring areas of the CSJS and the National Plan for European Integration and other EU integration matters overlap roughly to an extent of more than 80%. Also, the officials who are in charge of reporting to the MoJ on these strategic documents are almost identical. While the monitoring and reporting on these strategic documents have their specificities, the underlying methods are the same. Therefore, the activities of the expert will expand always in both areas.
These activities are foreseen under project Activities 1.1.1 and 2.1.1. and are important preconditions for the next project activities.
The Capacity Building Plan foresees measures, including inter alia the coaching on the elaboration of standardized reporting methodologies and the training of the staff in charge of monitoring and reporting about the CSJS implementation and data collection, data analysis and reporting which shall be implemented under activity 1.1.2. and 2.1.2. This activity is closely related also to Activity 2.2.1. and 2. which foresee the support to the functioning of the Monitoring Mechanism and the elaboration of templates needed for the improvement of the entire process of reporting, including providing reliable statistical data, and analysis of the data collected from the perspective of achievement of strategic goals and specific objectives.
Under Activity 3.1.1. JUSTAL will assist the MoJ in the development and implementation of a communication strategy and communication plan. Although the strategy and the plan are still under elaboration, upon agreement with the MoJ and the EUD, it was decided to work on an ‘access to justice map’, upon condition that the MoJ can ensure a sustainable website hosting solution.
Requested services and expertise
Under Activity 1.1.2. the expert shall contribute to the implementation of the Capacity Building Plan and shall participate as a trainer in capacity-building activities related to the management of the implementation of the CSJS.
In particular, the expert will be involved as a trainer in the training activity regarding the development of the analytical and drafting skills and capacity of the staff of the MoJ, subordinate and independent institutions in charge of reporting. The expert shall contribute to the elaboration of the ‘report template’ and shall participate as a trainer in the capacity-building activities in this regard. The expert is also expected to provide capacity-building measures in updating the report templates according to the needs.
Under Activity 2.1.2 the expert is expected to elaborate a Methodology on data collection, data dissemination and data analysis, following CEPEJ standards. In this regard, the expert shall take into consideration the findings and recommendations of the Report on the status quo on the data collection, data analysis, data reporting and data dissemination in the context of the implementation of the CSJS, especially regarding the manner of collection of the statistical data by the relevant institutions and the understanding of the meaning of each statistical data collected for the purposes of the reports on the implementation of the CSJS.
The expert will assist the MoJ in identifying the data which need to be collected for the monitoring of the implementation of the CSJS, in determining the definition of the data and the method of presenting the data and will in such regards work closely with the MoJ staff and KEs. CEPEJ rules and guidance as well as the specifics of different institutions involved in the data collection shall be taken into consideration during the elaboration of the methodology. The purpose of the methodology is to standardize the process of data collection, to elaborate uniform rules applicable by all stakeholders, taking into consideration the specifics of each institution, so as to ensure data reliability, comparability over the years and identification of trends.
Furthermore, under Activity 2.1.2. the expert will carry out training and other capacity-building measures foreseen by the Capacity Building Programme, especially training related to the implementation of the methodology for data collection and data analysis.
Under Activity 3.3.1. JUSTAL will assist the MoJ in the development and implementation of a communication strategy and communication plan. Access to justice is a broad term and encompasses more than the judicial map. It includes legal aid services, probation services, other services provided to vulnerable persons, etc. The expert is expected to support the JUSTAL team in charge of implementing Component 3 from a legal perspective.
Furthermore, the expert is expected to contribute through comments and other counselling on reports, developments or strategic documents, which are requested by the MoJ on short term, which are within the content and time frame of this TOR.
The expert is expected to carry out any administrative and organisational tasks related to the aforementioned project activities such as organising meetings, drafting meeting minutes, providing translation during the meeting, translating documents when requested by the KEs, communicating with all members of the team and contributing project activities when needed upon a request of the KEs, reporting, participating in briefings and meetings of the team, contributing to the implementation of the project work plan.
The main involved stakeholders are the staff of the Directorate of Policies and Strategies in the Field of Justice at the MoJ and the contact persons and experts of the subordinate and independent justice institutions, dealing with the implementation of the CSJS.
Outputs and outcome
Under Activity 1.1.2 the expert shall achieve the following outputs:
- Deliver training related to the analytical and drafting skills of the staff in charge of reporting on the implementation of the CSJS
- Elaboration of a report template and training on its use and updates thereof according to the needs
- Input in the elaboration of guidance and delivery of training related to the other aspects of reporting skills such as reference models, style guides, etc.
- Delivering proposals for updating the Capacity Building Plan, if needed
- Comments and other counselling on reports, developments or strategic documents, which are requested by the MoJ in short term, which are within the content and time frame of this TOR
Under Activity 2.1.2. the expert shall take the responsibility for the implementation of the following tasks and shall deliver the following outputs:
- Elaboration of a Methodology for data collection and data analysis based on CEPEJ standards (during the first 2 months of his/her assignment)
- Delivering training on the implementation of the Methodology
- Implementation of the Capacity Building Plan jointly with other responsible experts, particularly where the plan foresees capacity-building measures related to the reporting, data collection, and analyses of the data collected.
Under Activity 3.3.1. the expert shall take the responsibility for the implementation of the following tasks and shall deliver the following outputs: Support the elaboration of an Access to Justice Map
The NKE shall provide Mission Report each time when submitting the invoice. The Mission Report will include a description of all activities and the outputs provided by the NKE in the context of this assignment.
Total days: 90 days have been planned for this assignment, depending on the needs of the project and the beneficiary.
Period of the assignment: Tentatively envisaged for January 2023 – December 2023
Location of the assignment: Tirana
Working language: English
Contract: Service Contract
Expert Profile/Requested Qualifications
Qualification & skills
- Degree in law or management
- Excellent verbal and written English
- Knowledge of Albanian is a distinct advantage
- A minimum of 10 years of practical working experience
- At least 3 years of work experience in methodologies for data collection, and analytical reporting, in particular in the context of policy implementation monitoring
- At least 3 years of working experience in the framework of EU or CoE-funded projects, including on Rule of Law matters
- Excellent knowledge of Albanian legislation and the justice reform process
- Proven knowledge or experience in applying CEPEJ standards
- Proven experience in standards regarding access to justice
Three candidates considered suitable will be invited via email to hand in their offer, consisting of a CV, preferably in the EuropeAid format and a motivation letter by 22.12.2022 11:59 AM (Germany). References must be available upon request.
The decision to whom to award the tender will be based on the requested qualifications stated above. In making the decision, the following criteria will be considered as follows:
- Qualification and skills (40%)
- Professional experience (60%)
The evaluation of the offers will be made based on the weighted score of the above criteria related to qualifications & skills and Professional experience. A maximum of 10 points are foreseen for each category mentioned above. 10 points will be awarded in case the bidder's offer exceeds the requirements of the Project, 8 points will be awarded for an offer rated as “very good”, 6 points will be awarded for an offer rated as “good”, 2 points will be awarded for an offer rated as “sufficient”. Offers, that either does not meet the minimum criteria of the Project or are rated 0 points in one or both categories for being inadequate will be expelled from the awarding procedure. The expert with the highest scores will be selected for the assignment.
The offer needs to be submitted by e-mail to Nathalie Herbeck email@example.com (Project Director) and Anastasia Schmieder firstname.lastname@example.org (Project Manager).
The candidates will be informed via email about the outcome of the selection procedure.
By handing in an offer, the candidate declares his/her acceptance of the conditions mentioned above.
IRZ reserves the right to award the contract without negotiation, based on the initial proposals. If necessary, interviews with potential candidates will be held.
The assignment will have to be formally approved by the European Union Delegation to Albania, assuming no objection from the relevant beneficiaries.
In order to participate in the selection procedure, on the date of sending the application, all candidates must have the following eligibility requirements:
- No criminal convictions and no measures concerning the application of preventive measures, civil decisions and administrative measures registered in the criminal record or for any crime which determines the inability to contract with the Public Administration;
- Not subjected to criminal proceedings;
- No potential conflict of interest, like any financial, economic or other personal interest which might be perceived to compromise his or her impartiality and independence directly or indirectly and which might result in a distortion of competition;
- Are not Albanian civil servants.