Assistant in the Trade Section
The European Union Delegation to China, Beijing is looking for:
Assistant in the Trade Section.
The European Union (EU) is an economic and political partnership between 27 European countries. It plays an important role in international affairs through diplomacy, trade, development aid and working with global organizations. Abroad, the EU is represented through more than 140 diplomatic representations, known also as EU Delegations, which have a similar function to those of an embassy.
The EU Delegation to China, Beijing works in close coordination with the Embassies and Consulates of the 27 EU Member States. We are a fully-fledged diplomatic mission and represent the European Union in dealings with the Chinese government in areas that are part of the EU’s remit.
The post of Assistant (Local Agent Group 2) in the Delegation’s Trade Section. The team consists of 20 people and there are occasional atypical working hours.
Under this post, the recruited person will be attributed functions depending on the needs of the Delegation, and on the changes of these needs. The successful candidate will serve under the supervision and responsibility of the Head of Trade Section, providing support, expertise and assistance in the day-to-day liaison with Chinese Ministries, Agencies, stakeholders and other parties relevant to the work of the Trade Section, including interpretation and translation.
Following main tasks and duties are currently required:
- Overall organizational and administrative assistance in the Trade section;
- Drafting of correspondence and meeting minutes;
- Formatting, editing, and synthesizing of reports and documents;
- Maintenance of Chinese counterparts mailing lists and update contact details;
- Ensure in-coming and out-going correspondence processing, including mail, but also distribution, transmission (via fax/scan/by hand/by pouch/by normal mail);
- Logistical support to the organization of meetings/events/missions;
- Relations with external stakeholders regarding events and public affairs;
- Liaise with relevant officers in other sections of the Delegation;
- Contributing, as a back-up, to the horizontal tasks of the Trade section, or ad hoc tasks relating to the activities of the EU Delegation as a whole.
The base salary will depend on relevant and verified employment experience, typically starting from 20707 CNY. There is a competitive benefits package, subject to certain conditions, including personal leave days and public holidays, health insurances and a retirement savings plan.
The expected start date will be 1 June 2023.
Minimum requirements / eligibility criteria
- Minimum of University degree in a relevant field or equivalent;
- Minimum of 3 years of experience [and/or a certificate/diploma] in of one or more of following areas: China’s commerce; China’s international relations;
- Experience of working with Chinese authorities;
- Chinese Mandarin mother tongue;
- Excellent command of English, written and spoken mandatory;
- Right to residence and work in China;
- Pass the required pre-recruitment medical exam.
Assets / selection criteria
- experience in organizing and coordinating meetings with Chinese Ministries / Authorities;
- time management skills, and interpersonal skills;
- computer skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, WebEx, etc.);
- knowledge of other EU languages (written, oral);
- team work fluency, high flexibility, and capacity to work under pressure;
- commitment to assure quality, speed and accuracy in performing technical and procedural duties;
- work experience in an international environment;
- strong sense of confidentiality and diplomacy;
- knowledge/experience of EU policies, of international relations, of inner workings of the host country politics/trade/economy/law/regulation; or a personal ability characteristic.
How to apply
Please send your application and supporting documents to Delegation-China-HR@eeas.europa.eu in the subject line mentioning reference Family Name – First Name – Assistant - Trade Section. The application email should include a cover letter and a detailed CV in English.
The deadline for reception of the applications is set for 17 hrs (GMT +8) on 1 April 2023.
The Delegation will not supply additional information or discuss the selection procedure by telephone – please address any queries concerning this procedure to the above-mentioned mailbox with a reference: Question – ASSISTANT - TRADE SECTION.
After the deadline for applications, the eligible applications will be admitted to the Selection by the Committee set up for this purpose.
Depending on the number of applications received, successive phases of Selection may include shortlisting of candidates based assessment of the information provided in the cover letter, CV. The best candidates will be invited to the final interview and/or practical test.
Only candidates admitted to each successive selection phase will be contacted individually. The Delegation will use the same means of publication as for this job advertisement to inform the remaining candidates once the recruitment procedure has been completed and that a candidate has (or has not) been recruited.
The Delegation will not supply additional information or discuss the selection procedure. During the selection process, please do not contact the members of the Selection Committee, but address your questions and comments to the Delegation’s Administration.