VACANCY NOTICE: Secretary Political, Press & Information Section
The Delegation of the European Union to the State of Eritrea is looking for suitable candidates for the following position:
Political, Press & Information Section
The European Union (EU) is an economic and political partnership between 27 European countries. It plays an important role in international affairs through diplomacy, trade, development aid and working with global organisations. Abroad, the EU is represented through more than 140 diplomatic representations, known also as EU Delegations, which have a similar function to those of an embassy.
The EU Delegation to the State of Eritrea is responsible for development, co-operation and political dialogue with the Eritrean Government.
We offer a post of Secretary . Under this post, the recruited person will be attributed functions depending on the needs of the Delegation. Upon recruitment, the successful candidate will occupy a specific job function as Secretary. This job function may be changed in accordance with the needs of the Delegation.
Job Title: Secretary, Political, Press & Information Section (PPI)
Overall purpose: Carry out tasks of an assistant/secretary of the PPI Section
Place of Employment: EU Delegation in Asmara, State of Eritrea
Local agent position: Group III, step 1
Monthly Basic Brut Salary: As per EU Delegation salary scale
Duration: Indefinite contract subject to a successful probationary period
Functions and duties
Assistant for the Political, Press and Information section, this consists notably of
- Assistance and support to the daily activities of the Head of Section.
- Translation of articles and other material from Tigrinya into English.
- Research and documentation on selected topics.
- Support in drafting notes and analyses.
- Assistance to the press officer in monitoring the press and social media, and in the provision of documentation and information; assistance on drafting press reviews.
- Assistance in the organisation of meetings and events hosted by the Delegation.
- Coordination and logistics for political events and EU visibility.
- Maintaining contacts with other missions, local authorities, NGO’s, media.
- Arranging official trips.
- Secretarial support, including drafting correspondence, operating telephone, tracking and filing documents of the section, and any other clerical or administrative duty as required
Education and training
- Higher Secondary School Diploma or Secretariat Diploma or another field related to the position.
- Minimum 3 years of relevant working experience
- General office experience, especially in coordination and organization activities
- Experience in a diplomatic mission, international organization or multinational company
- Very good knowledge of Eritrea’s history, institutional setting, legislation, and economy
- Tigrinya as mother language, and fluency in English.
- Good knowledge of social media.
- Good knowledge of computer software systems (word, excel, power point).
- Excellent drafting skills and capacity to translate complex texts.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and good presentation skills.
- Excellent organisational and coordination skills.
- Open, flexible personality, team player.
- Loyal and discreet.
- Sense of initiative.
- Well organised.
- Willingness to learn about the EU.
The following will be considered an asset:
- Degree in international relations, international development, law, political science, economy, or a very strong proven background in one of those fields
- Proven Office experience
- Knowledge of European Union rules and procedures concerning contracts
- Financial, protocol relations and/or human resources management experience
- Knowledge of European Union internal application
Due to the current COVID19 restrictive measures, only applicants currently residing in Eritrea will be considered.
Interested applicants should send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or an envelope via POST OFFICE or by HAND DELIVERY clearly mentioning "Secretary in the PPI Section" to the following address:
Delegation of the European Union to the State of Eritrea,
Attn: Mr Massimiliano MANIAS MANCA,
Head of Administration Section
Candidates have to provide:
- Cover letter in English
- Curriculum Vitae in English
- Copies of supporting documents
- Evidence of residence in Eritrea
- Evidence of completion or exemption of Eritrean National Service
After the deadline for applications, the applications will be reviewed by a Selection Committee set up for this purpose. The Selection Committee will prepare a short-list of candidates who are considered to be the most suitable for the post on the basis of a preliminary assessment of the information provided in their application letter and the supporting documents. The short-listed candidates will be invited to an assessment phase which may include an interview. During this phase, the Selection Committee will assess the suitability of the candidates for the post. After the interviews, the Selection Committee decides which candidates placed on the reserve list of suitable applicants. This list is valid for a limited period. The selected candidate from the reserve list must undergo a medical examination to ensure that s/he meets the standard of physical fitness required before a job offer.
The candidates who have not been short-listed will not be contacted individually; however, the Delegation will use the same means of publication as for this Vacancy Notice to inform the remaining candidates once the recruitment procedure has been completed.
The Delegation will not supply additional information or discuss the selection procedure by telephone or other means.
Candidate must have fulfilled his/her national service obligation and provide evidence of release and/or exemption paper.
Deadline for applications: 10 days from publication of this advertisement.