Secretary (Political, Press and Information Section) re-advertised (CLOSED)
The European Union (EU) is an economic and political partnership between 27 European countries. It plays an important role in international affairs through diplomacy, trade, development aid and working with global organizations. Abroad, the EU is represented through more than 140 diplomatic representations, known also as EU Delegations, which have a similar function to those of an embassy.
The EU Delegation for the Pacific in Fiji, Suva, works in close coordination with the Embassies and Consulates of the 27 EU Member States. We are a fully-fledged diplomatic mission and represent the European Union in dealings with the Fijian government in areas that are part of the EU’s remit.
The post of Secretary (Local Agent Group 3) in the Delegation’s Political, Press and Information Section. The team consists of five people and there are occasional atypical working hours.
Under this post, the recruited person will be attributed functions depending on the needs of the Delegation, and on the changes of these needs. The successful candidate will serve under the supervision and responsibility of the Head of Political, Press and Information Section, providing support, expertise and assistance in secretarial and general administrative support services.
Following main tasks and duties are currently required:
- Overall secretarial and general administrative support to the Political Section, and when required, to the Deputy Head of Delegation;
- Calendar management for Head of Political Section, and to the Deputy Head of Delegation, if necessary;
- Backup of Personal Assistant to the Head of Delegation, as needed;
- Organise and prepare meetings with relevant meeting dossiers. Drafting meeting minutes;
- Screening telephone calls and answering enquiries and attending to visitors;
- Preparing letters, notes, reports; proof-read for correctness; check enclosures and addresses; logging and transmitting of emails, official letters;
- Prepare and liquidate missions. Organise travel itineraries and bookings;
- Assist with registration of incoming and outgoing correspondence, archiving and e-filing for Political, Press & Information Section;
- Assist with the organisation of miscellaneous activities, and events;
- Any other ad hoc tasks relating to the activities of the Section and the Delegation, assigned by the Head of Section or the Deputy Head of Delegation.
The base salary will depend on relevant and verified employment experience, typically starting from FJD 2104 monthly (gross salary for selected candidate with at least 2 years of relevant and verified experience). There is a competitive benefits package, subject to certain conditions, including personal leave days and public holidays, health insurances and a retirement savings plan.
The expected start date: as soon as possible.
Minimum requirements / eligibility criteria:
- Minimum of 2 years of relevant experience and a tertiary qualification (Diploma) in secretarial or office administration or equivalent;
- Working knowledge (B2) of English;
- Right to residence and work in Fiji;
- Medically fit to perform the required duties.
Assets / selection criteria:
- Time management, and interpersonal skills; capacity of organizing and coordinating meetings and agendas;
- Computer skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Zoom, Skype, etc.);
- Language skills (written, oral) in English; basic knowledge of French, an advantage;
- Knowledge of diplomatic protocol;
- Extent of archiving experience;
- Team work fluency, high flexibility, and capacity to work under pressure;
- Work history in the area of relations with external stakeholders, organizing activities and events.
After the deadline for applications, the eligible applications will be admitted to the Selection by the Committee set up for this purpose.
Depending on the number of applications received, successive phases of Selection may include shortlisting of candidates based assessment of the information provided in the cover letter, CV; interviews. Between three to five best candidates will be invited to the final interview.
Only candidates admitted to each successive selection phase will be contacted individually. The Delegation will use the same means of publication as for this job advertisement to inform the remaining candidates once the recruitment procedure has been completed and that a candidate has (or has not) been recruited.
The Delegation will not supply additional information or discuss the selection procedure. During the selection process, please do not contact the members of the Selection Committee, but address your questions and comments to: Delegation-Fiji-Vacancies@eeas.europa.eu
Please submit your application package, consisting of:
- Cover letter
- Europass format CV: https://europa.eu/europass/en/create-europass-cv
- Certificate/s of tertiary qualification
- Work contracts, reference letters (must indicate position held, period of employment: start and end date)
by email to: Delegation-Fiji-Vacancies@eeas.europa.eu no later than 5PM (Fiji time) Wednesday 24 August 2022.
The subject of the email must mention: [Your name / Secretary - PPI]
Only complete applications received on time via the email mentioned will be considered.
The successful candidate will be subject to a medical check and will be required to submit a police clearance certificate.