The European Union Delegation to The Gambia is looking for: Project Officer
The European Union (EU) is an economic and political partnership between 27 European countries. It plays an important role in international affairs through diplomacy, trade, development aid and working with global organisations. Abroad, the EU is represented through more than 140 diplomatic representations, also known as EU Delegations, which have a similar function to those of an embassy.
The EU Delegation to The Gambia is the official Embassy of the European Union accredited to The Gambia, and is headed by a resident Ambassador. It is at this moment comprised of around 25 staff, including some 15 expatriates, and is located in Fajara. The development cooperation activities of the Delegation are managed by around 10 Programme/Project officers under the supervision of the Head of Cooperation Section.
We offer a post of Project Officer (Local Agent Function Group 1). Under this post, the recruited person will be attributed functions depending on the needs of the Delegation. Upon recruitment, the successful candidate will occupy a specific job function as Project Officer. This job function may be changed in accordance with the needs of the Delegation. The post concerns a Local Agent position as a Project Officer to the Cooperation section. The Project officer in Education, Science and Technology (including Digitalization) contributes to the definition, formulation and implementation of policies and interventions in the education sector, with a strong focus on gender. The post will also cover Science/Technology/Innovation and digitalization, namely in relation to the education sector.
This purpose will encompass advising on and managing, under the supervision of the Ambassador/Head of Delegation, the Head of Cooperation and in close collaboration with the other programme/project officers of the Delegation in The Gambia, the implementation of EU projects and programs of development assistance and of financial and technical cooperation with the Gambia (or regional projects) in the field of Education, Science and Technology (including Digitalization).
The Project officer will monitor, report on and contribute, when appropriate, to policy development in relation to Education, Science and Technology (including Digitalization). The project officer will work very closely with the other Programme/Project officers of the Delegation that he/she may have to back up and substitute in case of absence, as well as with the Finance, Contract and Audit section. The project officer will interact closely with Gambian officials, other development partners, as well as civil society and private sector.
The working hours are 37h30/week, from Monday to Friday. The salary ranges from 62,867.00 GMD to 121356 GMD per month, depending on well-documented previous professional experience related to the post and time in the service.
The project officer will regularly go on mission upcountry to visit projects, which could entail absences from home. He/she could also be called for missions/trainings abroad, also entailing absences from home.
We offer a competitive position in an international environment. Benefits, such as additional pension scheme and medical insurance, are offered to employees and their families under certain conditions.
- Medically fit to perform the required duties;
- Enjoys civil rights and permits for employment under local law;
- Has a perfect fluency in English.
- Holds a University degree in education or any other relevant field to Education, Science and Technology (including Digitalization);
- Has at least five years of relevant professional experience in the education sector in The Gambia or in the region;
- Demonstrates proven experience in designing/managing innovative projects preferably in relation to Education or Science and Technology (including Digitalization) ;
- The applicant should master Microsoft Office, word, excel, powerpoint, internet browsing.
The following will be considered an asset:
- A specialisation (Master degree and/or PhD or equivalent) in the area relevant to the scope of the post is an asset;
- Demonstrated experience in gender mainstreaming;
- Experience in sector analysis; identification or formulation of development programmes or development strategic document is an asset;
- Previous experience with a development agency or a Diplomatic Representation is an asset;
- Good knowledge of international development cooperation issues (specific experience with EU development projects) is an asset;
- Understanding of French is an asset;
How to apply
Candidates interested in these positions should send their applications accompanied by testimonials from previous employers, photocopies of academic and professional qualifications with detailed curriculum vitae (CV) and motivation letter by e-mail to: DELEGATION-GAMBIA-HOA@eeas.europa.eu
stating ”Vacancy – Project Officer – Digitalization 317154 ” in the subject line.
Closing date to receive applications is Monday 25th July, 2022 at noon (Gambia time).
After the deadline for applications, the applications will be reviewed by a Selection Committee set up for this purpose. The Selection Committee will prepare a short-list of candidates who are considered to be the most suitable for the post on the basis of a preliminary assessment of the information provided in their application letter and the supporting documents. The short-listed candidates will be invited to an assessment phase which may include an interview if necessary – during this phase, the Selection Committee will assess the suitability of the candidates for the post. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
The candidates who have not been short-listed will not be contacted individually; however, the Delegation will inform the remaining candidates once the recruitment procedure has been completed and that a candidate has (or has not) been recruited.