The Delegation of the European Union to Georgia is looking for a Policy Officer
The European Union (EU) is a unique economic and political partnership between 27 European countries. It plays an important role in international affairs through diplomacy, trade, financial assistance and working with global organisations. Abroad, the EU is represented through more than 140 diplomatic representations, known also as EU Delegations, which have a similar function to those of an embassy.
The EU Delegation to Georgia has a mandate that includes promoting the political and economic relations between the European Union and Georgia, monitoring the implementation of the Association Agreement, Georgia’s membership application to the EU and disseminating information on the tangible benefits of the EU´s policies and programmes.
A post of Policy Officer in the Political, Press and Information Section of the EU Delegation under the supervision and responsibility of the Head of Section.
The successful candidate will be based in Tbilisi. The working time is 37.5 hours/week. The contract ("local agent" type contract - Group I) will be concluded as an unlimited term contract and will be subject to local legislation.
We offer a competitive position in an international environment. Benefits, such as additional pension scheme and medical insurance, are offered to employees and their families under certain conditions.
The successful candidate will perform the following tasks under the supervision and responsibility of the Head of Section:
Monitor, analyse and report, regularly and in a timely fashion, as well as on request, on all developments in Georgia and the region with relevance for EU interests, policies and cooperation. This includes in particular:
- Tracking and analysing all relevant developments in Georgia's internal and foreign policy;
- Analysing and reporting on the influence of policy changes or developments in Georgia on Georgia’s EU membership application, the implementation of the Association Agenda objectives and Association Agreement obligations / priorities (democracy and governance, rule of law and human rights, conflict resolution, cooperation... etc.);
- Follow and analyse the impact of and responses to EU policy and steps related to Georgia (i.e. ENP, Eastern Partnership).
Representation and participation
- Maintain close working relations with relevant ministries, parliament, governmental agencies, CSOs, think-tanks, diplomatic corps and international organizations;
- Prepare and assist in missions from Headquarters.
- Prepare speeches and give presentations on EU activities in conferences and meetings in agreement with the Head of Section.
All other tasks that are necessary in the interest of the service.
University degree (Masters) in political science, European studies, international relations, international law or economics.
At least 3 years of working experience in the field of political analysis or related to policymaking. Experience in working in an international environment is seen as asset.
- Have excellent knowledge of the functioning of the European Union and its engagement in Georgia;
- Have excellent knowledge of EU foreign policy and Georgia's internal policies;
- Have excellent drafting, communication and analytical skills combined with sound judgement;
- Have very good knowledge of computer tools (e.g. Windows environment);
- Capacity to focus on priorities and to organise work to deliver on time. Accuracy and an eye for detail;
- Be resilient and able to cope with a high workload. Ability to work under pressure and respond quickly to changes;
- Ability to work in a team and be open to cultural diversity, building positive and co-operative working relationships with colleagues and management. Ability to listen, to consult and to share information and ideas;
- Discretion and confidentiality. Commitment to service;
- Be medically fit to perform the required duties;
- Enjoy civil rights and hold any relevant permit for employment under local law.
- Abide by the highest professional standards and values of the EU.
Georgian and English: ability to understand C2, ability to read C2, ability to speak C2, ability to write C2
Knowledge of Russian will be considered an asset.
How to Apply
Please note that applications have to include a motivation letter in English as well as an updated CV (preferably using the Europass format) also in English, otherwise they will not be considered. Please provide also certificates evidencing the minimum requirements for education and work experience.
Please do not include other documents/scans not linked to the minimum requirements.
The subject line of your application should indicate the post title: "Policy Officer"
You are invited to send your application to the following e-mail address:
The deadline for applications is Friday, 19 August 2022 at 12 noon.
Kindly note that the Delegation will not supply additional information or discuss the selection procedure by telephone. Please address any queries concerning this vacancy to the above e-mail address only.
After the deadline, the applications will be reviewed by a Selection Committee set up for this purpose. The Selection Committee will prepare a short-list of candidates who are considered to be the most suitable for the post on the basis of a preliminary assessment of the information provided in their application and the supporting documents.
After the evaluation of all applications, shortlisted candidates will be invited for an interview. During this phase, the Selection Committee will assess the suitability of the short-listed candidates for the post.
If you have not been contacted by the EU Delegation by 9 September 2022 you should consider that your application has, unfortunately, not been pre-selected.