VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT - Secretary - Erbil
The European Union Delegation to IRAQ is looking for:
The European Union (EU) is an economic and political partnership between 27 European countries. It plays an important role in international affairs through diplomacy, trade, development aid and working with global organisations. Abroad, the EU is represented through more than 140 diplomatic representations, known also as EU Delegations, which have a similar function to those of an embassy.
The Delegation represents the European Union in Iraq and, as a diplomatic mission, works closely with the EU Member State Embassies that are represented in Baghdad as well as their Missions in Erbil, Kurdistan Region. It ensures the tasks of the EU Presidency both in Baghdad and Erbil. The Delegation is the permanent and principal interlocutor of the EU vis-à-vis local authorities, the international community and all other stakeholders for all matters related to EU external action. Acting in close cooperation with all EU Member State diplomatic missions, the Delegation strives to ensure the unity, consistency and effectiveness of EU external action in Iraq. It ensures the follow-up of bilateral relations in the political, economic, trade, energy and development areas.
We offer a post of Secretary under the supervision and responsibility of the political officer based in Erbil and head of political section based in Baghdad. Under this post, the recruited person will be attributed functions depending on the needs of the Delegation. Upon recruitment, the successful candidate will occupy a specific job function as Secretary within the EU liaison office in Erbil– This job function may be changed in accordance with the needs of the Delegation.
- Administer correspondence, incoming and outgoing, using the EU relevant IT services; actively manage and follow-up on: responses, actions requested, meetings applied etc, and provide periodic status reports as required.
- Draft standard letters and official notes, ensuring language verification and professional formatting of notes and reports, ensure delivery and follow-up.
- Support the liaison with Iraqi partners in Government and state institutions at federal and regional level, and partners from International Organisations, EU Member States and Third Countries, NGOs, Iraqi authorities, etc and facilitate the contact with Amman based staff.
- Ensure the filing and archiving of paper and electronic documents in close collaboration with the Finance Contracts Audits section based in Amman and the Secretariat of the Delegation.
- Organise and arrange meetings and events for the Team.
- Organise all logistics aspects of field missions for all the team in collaboration with all relevant actors in the Delegation and national authorities.
- Support the Team in taking meeting minutes and preparing reports.
- Keep and coordinate the joint Team agenda and individual team members’ agendas (including organisation and preparation of meetings, arranging appointments, collecting information, preparing files and briefings)
- Liaise with Kurdish and foreign journalists in the region
- Follow local and international press, focussing on EU presence in Iraq and in particular the Kurdish region
- Support in the preparation of reports and press summaries
- Respond to general information enquiries
- Support in the drafting of press notes and statements in Kurdish
- Provide minor translations from Kurdish into English and vice versa
- Organise and coordinate meetings and events
- Monitor and maintain office supplies
- Ensure office equipment is properly maintained and serviced
- Perform work related errands, such as going to the bank
- Maintain office filing and storage systems
- Update and maintain databases such as contact and mailing lists
- Retrieve information when requested
- Undertake any other related tasks requested by the HoPS.
- Support team members in preparing registered workflow files and follow-up on the workflow with all stakeholders
- Support team members with communication and visibility tasks in coordination with the Press Assistant of the Delegation.
- Ensure the smooth and efficient co-ordination with all Assistants of the Delegation
- Work closely with the national authorities for issuing VISAS and other administrative processes
- Provide support for the wider Delegation activities as needed.
- Support as appropriate Brussels-based officials’ visits to Iraq.
Sense of initiative; flawless oral and written communications skills in EN and AR; full proficiency in standard IT office software and willingness to learn EU tools and methodologies; understanding of the work environment in a diplomatic representation; very good organisational skills and a service minded attitude; capacity to assure quality, speed and accuracy in performing complex tasks in a multicultural environment; ability to work alone and respect deadlines; ability to deal with stress situations.
We offer a competitive position in an international environment. Benefits, such as additional pension scheme and medical insurance, are offered to employees and their families under certain conditions.
- Upper secondary education
- Minimum 3 years of proven professional experience pertinent to the described tasks
- Medically fit to perform the required duties;
- Enjoys civil rights and permits for employment under local law;
- Has full proficiency in formal English, written and oral;
- Kurdish native speaker;
- Proven computer literacy and ability to work with all Windows applications (minimum: outlook, word, excel),
The following will be considered an asset:
- University degree in business administration, Economic, Law, finance accounting, humanities, social sciences, sciences or directly related field will be an asset
- Knowledge of Arabic;
- Proficiency of video-conferencing tools, graphic programmes, reporting and statistic tools are an asset ;
How to apply
Please send your application and supporting documents to DELEGATION-IRAQ-VACANCY@eeas.europa.eu The package should include a cover letter and a detailed CV.
The Delegation will not supply additional information or discuss the selection procedure by telephone: please address any queries concerning this procedure to DELEGATION-IRAQ-VACANCY@eeas.europa.eu
After the deadline for applications, the applications will be reviewed by a Selection Committee set up for this purpose. The Selection Committee will prepare a short-list of candidates who are considered to be the most suitable for the post on the basis of a preliminary assessment of the information provided in their application letter and the supporting documents. The short-listed candidates will be invited to an assessment phase, which may include an interview if necessary – during this phase, the Selection Committee will assess the suitability of the candidates for the post.
The candidates who have not been short-listed will not be contacted individually; however, the Delegation will use the same means of publication as for this Vacancy Notice to inform the remaining candidates once the recruitment procedure has been completed and that a candidate has (or has not) been recruited.
The deadline for applications is February 10, 2021