The European Union Delegation to Jordan is looking for: a Press and Information Officer (Strategic Communications)
The European Union (EU) is an economic and political partnership between 27 European countries. It plays an important role in international affairs through diplomacy, trade, development aid and working with global organisations. Abroad, the EU is represented through more than 140 diplomatic representations, known also as EU Delegations, which have a similar function to those of an embassy.
The EU Delegation to Jordan is part of the network of those 140 Delegations. The work of a Delegation varies from country to country but, in general, covers political matters, press and information, trade, aid management and the external aspects of internal EU policies. The EU Delegations are placed under the authority of the High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy, who is also Vice President of the European Commission.
- We offer a post of Press and Information Officer (Strategic Communications) in the Political, Press and Information Section of the Delegation. This post will focus on analysing the information environment and the support to local and regional initiatives. The portfolio will cover Jordan, counterterrorism and the regional dimension. Upon recruitment, the successful candidate will occupy a specific job function as Press and Information Officer (Strategic Communications). This job function may change in accordance with the needs of the Delegation.
Functions and duties
The successful candidate will perform the following tasks under the supervision and responsibility of the Head of Section:
• analyse the trends and developments in the information environment and provide recommendations for improving the understanding of the EU's values, policies and projects based on fact-based information and proactive communication;
• establish and maintain a network of key information environment experts in the country and the region, including on counterterrorism, which could support the EU Delegation in its monitoring and awareness raising activities;
• connect with and support local and regional media initiatives specialising in fact-checking, qualitative journalism and healthy information environments across the region
• design, implement and coordinate campaigns, local outreach events and communication projects on specific issues and priorities, including with a goal to addressing disinformation targeting the EU and its cooperation with Jordan and the broader region;
• closely cooperate with the EEAS Strategic Communications Task Force South and with the other Press and Information Officers;
- perform other tasks as designated by the Head of Section;
- replace the other Press and Information Officers when absent.
The successful candidate will be based in Amman. Working time: 37.5 working hours/week. The contract ("local agent" type contract - Group I) will be concluded for an initial period of one year and will lead to an indefinite contract, should performance objectives be fulfilled
We offer a competitive position in an international environment. Benefits, such as additional pension scheme and medical insurance, are offered to employees and their families under certain conditions.
Candidates for this local agent post should:
- have completed university studies of at least three years attested by a diploma, preferably in political science, international relations, journalism, communications, economics or other related field;
- have at least three years of relevant professional experience in communications, preferably in an international and multi-cultural environment;
- have a native command of the Arabic language:
- have a professional knowledge of the English language;
- have a valid Jordanian work permit;
- be a national of Jordan or of a Member State of the European Union with the right to live and work in Jordan;
- be medically fit to perform the required duties;
- enjoy civil rights and permits for employment under local law.
- have experience in communications and public diplomacy (e.g. strategic communication, media relations, campaigning, content production, marketing, online marketing, social media management, audio-visual content development, strategic communications in countering violent extremism);
- have the capacity to create constructive working relations with key partners in the country, building up a local network;
- have strong drafting and analytical skills combined with sound judgement, rapid grasp of problems and the capacity to identify issues and solutions;
- have knowledge of external relations, internal policies and functioning of the European Union;
- have excellent communication skills and the ability to establish and maintain a network of contacts both within and outside the Delegation;
- have the ability to communicate clearly on complex issues and the capacity to perform with accuracy and in a flexible manner a diversity of tasks in a complex institutional environment;
- have a knowledge of social media platforms, especially Twitter and Facebook and other locally trending social media platforms.
- experience of working in a team in multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural environment;
- experience of working with social media analytics;
- experience in public speaking;
- knowledge of additional EU languages or relevant Arabic dialects
would be considered as strong assets.
How to apply
Please send your application and supporting documents to DELEGATION-JORDAN-VACANCY@eeas.europa.eu. The package should include a cover/motivation letter and a detailed CV (preferably Europass Format). The title of your message should clearly indicate, “EUD JORDAN _ POST 342583 _ APPLICATION PRESS INFORMATION OFFICER”
The Delegation will not supply additional information or discuss the selection procedure by telephone: please address any queries concerning this procedure to DELEGATION-JORDAN-VACANCY@eeas.europa.eu
After the deadline is reached, the applications will be reviewed by a Selection Committee set up for this purpose. The Selection Committee will prepare a short-list of candidates who are considered to be the most suitable for the post, on the basis of a preliminary assessment of the information provided in their application letter and the supporting documents.
After the evaluation of all applications, shortlisted candidates will be invited for an interview and, possibly, a written test. Interviews will be held in Amman, Jordan or via video-conferencing.
The candidates who have not been short-listed will not be contacted individually; however, the Delegation will use the same means of publication as for this Vacancy Notice to inform the remaining candidates once the recruitment procedure has been completed and that a candidate has (or has not) been recruited.
The deadline for applications is: September 30th, 2021 at 04.00PM Amman local time