Project Officer post number 375112
The European Union Delegation to the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan
is looking for:
The European Union (EU) is an economic and political partnership between 27 European countries. It plays an important role in international affairs through diplomacy, trade, development aid and working with global organisations. Abroad, the EU is represented through more than 140 diplomatic representations, known also as EU Delegations, which have a similar function to those of an embassy.
The EU Delegation to Jordan is part of the network of those 140 Delegations. The work of a Delegation varies from country to country but, in general, covers political matters, press and information, trade, aid management and the external aspects of internal EU policies. The EU Delegations are placed under the authority of the High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy, who is also Vice President of the European Commission.
- We offer a Project Officer post in the Cooperation Section of the Delegation. The selected person will work primarily in the field of support to civil society and on gender policy issues in the framework of the EU –Jordan Association Agreement.
Tasks will include:
+ Policy Analysis
- To carry out civil society analysis and strategy formulation.
- To contribute to policy dialogue with all relevant ministries, agencies, donors, civil society and other relevant stakeholders in all areas of concern.
- To act as the gender focal point of the EU Delegation and ensure in particular that women's empowerment and gender equality are correctly taken into account in the programming, design and implementation of the Delegation's activities.
- To contribute to analysis and definition of strategies for the European Union as well as to the reporting on the relevant parts of the implementation of the European Neighbourhood Policy and EU-Jordan Partnership Priorities.
- To ensure horizontal coordination within the Delegation on civil society and gender issues.
+ Programme /Project/Process Management
- To contribute to programming, identification and formulation of EU support in close cooperation with the beneficiary organisations in Jordan.
- To manage the implementation of the related programmes (contribute to all aspects of the procurement process, to attend management and monitoring meetings, to elaborate
progress reports on projects and propose action if and when needed).
- To assist and support Delegation's colleagues in better mainstreaming gender in line with priorities set by the EU Delegation.
- To ensure the monitoring of implementation and to contribute to the evaluation of projects.
+ Representation, Negotiation, Participation:
- To maintain good and effective contacts with the beneficiaries in the field, with the national
authorities and institutions, with representatives of the diplomatic missions of the EU Member States, with representatives of the principal international donors, as well as NGOs and other stakeholders.
- To ensure that the results of projects are disseminated and outcomes presented at workshops, seminars, conferences or other public events.
- Liaise with other gender focal persons in the country to maintain an effective network for exchanging and sharing experience. Join existing gender coordination mechanism in the country.
+ External Communication: Communication relating to EU supported programmes and projects
- To extract and disseminate best practices and facilitate exchange of experiences;
- To contribute to the production of publications/information material and promotion of EU relations with civil society in Jordan.
+ University level education of a duration of at least 3 years: essential
- Formal education which corresponds to completed university studies of a least three years' duration attested by a diploma, preferably including subjects in one or more of the following domains: political sciences/social sciences/international relations/communication/law, or any equivalent relevant education;
- Competencies: Project management theory and practice. Understanding of EU structures and procedures would be an asset.
+ 5 year(s): essential
Domains: Experience in project management, preferably in an international context.
At least two, and preferably more, of the minimum of five years of prior professional experience should be directly pertinent to the type of duties to be carried out, including previous experience in working with civil society organisations. Previous experience in gender policy issues would be an asset.
Project Cycle Management
Knowledge & Skills
- Excellent command of English and Arabic is required.
- Ability to communicate in meetings: Very good
- Ability to understand and be understood: Very good
- Capacity to communicate technical or specialised information: Very good
- Capacity to present issues to an audience: Very good
- Ability to chair meetings: Good
- Drafting skills: Excellent
- Professional experience in the management of external aid actions to support civil society organisations.
- Management of Grant, Service and Supply Contracts.
- Knowledge of the procedures for the implementation of the general budget of the European Union.
- Excellent knowledge of computer applications: Excel, Word, PowerPoint.
- Ability to work in a team and in a multi-cultural environment and to handle issues of a sensitive political nature.
- Competence in monitoring, evaluation and other quality control and assessment techniques.
- Flexibility, accuracy, resistance to stress, committed to deadlines.
The working hours will be 37.5 hours per week from Sunday to Thursday. The place of employment is Amman and the post is Local Agent Group I.
How to apply
Please send your application and supporting documents to
DELEGATION-JORDAN-VACANCY@eeas.europa.eu. The package should include a cover letter, a detailed CV.
After the deadline for applications, the applications will be reviewed by a Selection Committee set up for this purpose. The Selection Committee will prepare a short-list of candidates who are considered to be the most suitable for the post on the basis of a preliminary assessment of the information provided in their application letter and the supporting documents. The short-listed candidates will be invited to an assessment phase which may include an interview if necessary – during this phase, the Selection Committee will assess the suitability of the candidates for the post.
The candidates who have not been short-listed will not be contacted individually; however, the Delegation will use the same means of publication as for this Vacancy Notice to inform the remaining candidates once the recruitment procedure has been completed and that a candidate has (or has not) been recruited.
The deadline for applications is: October 30th, 2021 at 04.00PM Amman local time