The European Union Delegation to Kazakhstan is looking for: Policy Assistant
The European Union (EU) is an economic and political partnership between 27 European countries. It plays an important role in international affairs through diplomacy, trade, development aid and working with global organisations. Abroad, the EU is represented through more than 140 diplomatic representations, known also as EU Delegations, which have a similar function to those of an embassy. The EU Delegation ensures the representation of the European Union to the Republic of Kazakhstan, the follow-up of bilateral relations in the areas of political, economic, trade and external assistance cooperation (financial and technical), the bilateral sectorial cooperation; promotes and defends the values and interests of the EU; and carries out press and public diplomacy activities in pursuit of the above. The Delegation facilitates the implementation of the Enhanced Partnership and Cooperation Agreement and other bilateral memoranda of understanding.
We offer a post of Policy Assistant. Under this post, the recruited person will be attributed functions depending on the needs of the Delegation. Upon recruitment, the successful candidate will occupy a specific job function (Policy Assistant) – this job function may be changed in accordance with the needs of the Delegation. Under this job function the successful candidate will, under the supervision and responsibility of the Head of Political, Press and Information section, perform the following tasks (the list is not exhaustive):
- Everyday support to the head of section;
- Support of the organisation of meetings with Member States;
- Support to the preparation of meetings with the government, including demarches, policy dialogues, and regular meetings held under the EU-Kazakhstan Extended Partnership and Cooperation Agreement;
- Follow up on the human rights situation; participation in dialogues with the civil society, including on human rights;
- Follow up on political developments in the country, including key developments related to economic reforms and green transformation;
- Monitoring of legal developments;
- Monitoring of health data, especially in the period of the pandemic;
- Managing the EUVP programme in Kazakhstan ;
- Backup to the Team Assistant in cases of absence;
- Other support functions upon request.
Working conditions: Full time, 37.5 hours/week (local agent, Group II, starting basic salary KZT 704,565).
Address: Delegation of the European Union to Kazakhstan, 62 Kosmonavtov street, Z05E9E1 Nur-Sultan, Kazakhstan. We offer a competitive position in an international environment. Benefits, such as additional pension scheme and medical insurance, are offered to employees and their families under certain conditions.
1. Medically fit to perform the required duties;
2. Enjoys civil rights and permits for employment under local law;
3. Has excellent spoken and written skills in English, Russian and Kazakh – English is the working language of the Delegation;
4. Proven working experience of at least 2 years in an international organisation (public or commercial), or an Embassy;
5. A University Degree (at least Bachelor’s);
6. Full working proficiency with MS Office.
The following will be considered an asset:
1. A Master’s Degree in political science, law, international relations or economics;
2. Knowledge of French;
3. Knowledge of statistical software.
How to apply
Please send your application and supporting documents to Delegation-Kazakhstan-Vacancies@eeas.europa.eu.
The package should include a cover letter and a detailed CV (see annex below). The best candidates will be invited for a written test. The best performing candidates of the written test will then be invited for an interview. Both the written test and the interview will be held in Nur-Sultan.
The Delegation will not supply additional information or discuss the selection procedure by telephone: please address any queries concerning this procedure to Delegation-Kazakhstan-Vacancies@eeas.europa.eu.
After the deadline for applications, the applications will be reviewed by a Selection Committee set up for this purpose. The Selection Committee will prepare a short-list of candidates who are considered to be the most suitable for the post on the basis of a preliminary assessment of the information provided in their application letter and the supporting documents. The short-listed candidates will be invited to an assessment phase which may include an interview if necessary – during this phase, the Selection Committee will assess the suitability of the candidates for the post.
The candidates who have not been short-listed will not be contacted individually; however, the Delegation will use the same means of publication as for this Vacancy Notice to inform the remaining candidates once the recruitment procedure has been completed and that a candidate has (or has not) been recruited.
The deadline for applications is: 18 February 2022, 23:59, Local time (GMT+6).