CANCELLED The European Union Delegation to Libya is looking for: Translator / Interpreter
The European Union (EU) is an economic and political partnership between 28 European countries. It plays an important role in international affairs through diplomacy, trade, development aid and working with global organisations. Abroad, the EU is represented through more than 140 diplomatic representations, known also as EU Delegations, which have a similar function to those of an embassy.
The EU Delegation to Libya represents the European Union (EU). It works closely with all of the EU member countries who have diplomatic representation in Libya.
By engaging with political actors, the media, academics, business circles, civil society and citizens, the Delegation raises awareness of EU issues and concerns, and promote a stronger partnership between the EU and Libya.
The 4 main tasks:
- represent EU interests;
- promote cooperation with Libya;
- support Libya's stability and its democratic transition;
- ensure EU cooperation benefits those most in need.
We offer a post of Translator / Interpreter . Under this post, the recruited person will be attributed functions depending on the needs of the Delegation. Upon recruitment, the successful candidate will occupy a specific job function as Translator / Interpreter. Under this job function, the successful candidate will serve as technical and support staff to the Political, Press and Information section and to the Delegation as a whole under the supervision and responsibility of the relevant head of section.
The jobholder will in particular be responsible for:
- To interpret from English to Arabic and vice-versa simultaneously and consecutively when required.
- To interpret for HoD (courtesy calls, demarches, speeches/lectures, interviews, contacts with local governments and organisations, dinners/luncheons, missions.
- To interpret for other Delegation officials (technical meetings with ministries, meetings with economic and industrial organisations, contacts with private sector players, press interviews, speeches.
- To interpret for missions from HQ (President, Commissioners, DGs, DDGs, HoUs, administrators and experts
The EU delegation's size is +/- 40 people (gender balanced team). The place of employment is Libya. The post is within Group I post and the starting basic monthly salary is 2.500 EURO, for a total of 40 hours per week. Salaries’ increases are foreseen based on the current salary review.
The initial contract:
- Is a definite contract of one year (with possible renewals)
- Has a trial period of 3 months
- Place of work : European Union Delegation to Libya, Tripoli
- Weekly working hours : 40H.
We offer a competitive progressive career in an international environment. Benefits, such as additional pension scheme and medical insurance, are offered to employees and their families under certain conditions.
1. Medically fit to perform the required duties;
2. Enjoy civil rights and permits for employment under local law;
3. Fluency in English (spoken and written) and native Arabic: other EU language is an advantage
4. Post-secondary education;
5. At least 10 years working experience in press/media actions.
The following will be considered an asset:
1. Diploma in Interpretation or Translation Studies in Communication, literature or other humanistic studies;
2. Experience in an International Organisation or Diplomatic Mission;
3. Knowledge of Arabic and English;
4. Excellent oral and written presentation skills; Good IT skills required; Specialist knowledge (know what): Media relations, public diplomacy;
5. Technical knowledge (Know How): Ability to write in Arabic and English.
6. Ability to build and maintain positive working relationships with colleagues, national counterparts; donor agencies, other stakeholders and ability to adapt well in a multi-cultural environment;
7. Personal initiative and ability to focus on priorities and meet deadlines;
8. A high degree of integrity and the ability to deal with confidential information is required.