Vacancy: COOPERATION PROJECT OFFICER at the EU Delegation to Libya
The European Union (EU) is an economic and political partnership between 27 countries. It plays an important role in international affairs through diplomacy, trade, development aid and working with global organisations. Abroad, the EU is represented through more than 140 diplomatic representations, known also as EU Delegations, which have a similar function to those of an embassy.
The EU Delegation to Libya is one of those 140 delegations. Its mandate includes promoting the political and economic relations between Libya and the European Union; overseeing the implementation of EU technical and financial assistance to Libya; and informing the public of the development of the EU and explaining its policies. It manages the funding of stabilization and cooperation actions as well as humanitarian assistance for vulnerable groups in Libya.
We offer a challenging position of Project Officer to work in a dynamic and motivated team in a complex environment, requiring a high degree of responsiveness, pro-activity and oversight.
The EU Delegation employs a gender-balanced team of around 40 people in the Delegation’s offices in Tripoli and Tunis. The place of employment of the Cooperation Project Officer is Tripoli, where s/he will be part of the Delegation’s Operations Section.
The initial contract will have the duration of one year, renewable.
We offer a competitive position in an international environment. Benefits, such as additional pension scheme and medical insurance, are offered to employees and their families under certain conditions.
Functions and duties
Under the supervision of the Head of Operations, the Cooperation Project Officer will be tasked to:
- support policy dialogue with all relevant ministries, agencies, donors and other relevant stakeholders in all areas of concern;
- contribute to the programming, identification and formulation of cooperation programmes of the EU in Libya;
- contribute to the management of EU funded projects in Libya in different sectors (including economy, migration, health, gender, youth, local governance, institutional governance);
- contribute to all aspects of the procurement process (drafting Guidelines, Terms of Reference, launching call for proposals, tenders, etc).
- monitor ongoing projects, attend management and monitoring meetings, elaborate progress reports on projects and propose action if and when needed;
- evaluate projects;
- Maintain good and effective contacts with the local operators in the field, with the national authorities and institutions, with representatives of the diplomatic missions of the Member States, with representatives of the principle international donors and agencies, with NGOs and other local non-official actors;
- provide logistical/interpretation and translation support to incoming missions from headquarters;
- contribute to the production of publications.
- Medically fit to perform the required duties;
- Be a national of Libya or a national of a Member State of the European Union, having the civil rights and permits for employment under local law;
- University degree in Development Policy or International Aid or equivalent and relevant diploma in the thematic areas of governance, support to civil society and/or gender equality;
- At least three years of professional experience in project design and management in a developing country;
- Professional fluency in Arabic and English (at least B2 level).
- Very good communication and organisation skills;
- Experience in working with politically sensitive issues;
- Developed team spirit and ability to build and maintain positive working relationships with colleagues, national counterparts, donor agencies, other stakeholders and ability to adapt well in a multi-cultural environment;
- Personal initiative and ability to focus on priorities and meet deadlines.
The following will be considered an asset:
- Knowledge and understanding of international and EU cooperation policies
Please send your application and supporting documents via email to DELEGATION-LIBYA-RECRUITMENT@eeas.europa.eu. Please mention "Application for COOPERATION PROJECT OFFICER" in the subject line.The package should include a cover letter and a detailed CV (preferably in a Europass Format).
The deadline for submitting the application is 25 November 2021. Late submissions will not be considered.
After the deadline for applications, the applications will be reviewed by a Selection Committee set up for this purpose. The Selection Committee will prepare a short-list of candidates who are considered the most suitable for the post on the basis of a preliminary assessment of the information provided in their application letter and the supporting documents.
The short-listed candidates will be invited to an assessment phase, which include an interview. During this phase, the Selection Committee will assess the suitability of the candidates for the post.
The candidates who have not been short-listed will not be contacted individually; however, the Delegation will use the same means of publication as for this Vacancy Notice to inform the remaining candidates once the recruitment procedure has been completed and that a candidate has (or has not) been recruited.
The deadline for applications is 25 November 2021.