Vacancy: PRESS AND INFORMATION OFFICER (STRATEGIC COMMUNICATIONS) at the EU Delegation to Libya
The European Union (EU) is an economic and political partnership between 27 European countries. It plays an important role in international affairs through diplomacy, trade, development aid and working with global organisations. Abroad, the EU is represented through more than 140 diplomatic representations, known also as EU Delegations, which have a similar function to those of an embassy.
The EU Delegation to Libya is one of those 140 delegations. Its mandate includes promoting the political and economic relations between Libya and the European Union; overseeing the implementation of EU technical and financial assistance to Libya; and informing the public of the development of the EU and explaining its policies.
We offer a post of Press and Information Officer (Strategic Communications) in the Political, Press and Information Section of the Delegation. The successful candidate will work under the supervision of the Communications Advisor in the Delegation’s Political, Press and Information section.
The EU Delegation employs a gender balanced team of around 40 people in the Delegation’s offices in Tripoli and Tunis. The place of employment of the Press and Information Officer (Strategic Communications) is Tripoli.
The initial contract will have the duration of one year, renewable.
We offer a competitive position in an international environment. Benefits, such as additional pension scheme and medical insurance, are offered to employees and their families under certain conditions.
Functions and duties
The Press and Information Officer (Strategic Communications) will perform the following tasks:
- Monitoring, analysing and reporting on trends and developments in the Libyan information environment and providing recommendations for improving public understanding in Libya of the EU's values, policies and projects based on fact-based information and proactive communication;
- Establishing and maintaining a network of key information environment and social media experts in Libya, who could support the EU Delegation in its monitoring and awareness raising activities;
- Designing, implementing and coordinating campaigns, local outreach events and communications projects on specific issues and priorities, including with a goal to address disinformation targeting the EU and its partnership with Libya;
- Closely cooperating with the EEAS Strategic Communications Task Forces at headquarters in Brussels;
- Performing other tasks as designated by the head of communications;
- Replacing other Press and Information team members in their absence.
We are looking for a highly motivated, dynamic person who is able to work independently and at own initiative, while coordinating closely with management and other team members.
- Medically fit to perform the required duties;
- Be a national of Libya or a national of a Member State of the European Union, having the civil rights and permits for employment under local law;
- University degree (bachelor’s level) in political science, international relations, journalism, communications, economics or other related field;
- At least three years of relevant professional experience, of which at least 2 years have been spent in the field of communications, preferably in an international and multi-cultural environment;
- Native command of Arabic (spoken and written) and excellent professional fluency in English;
- Experience in communications and/or public diplomacy (e.g. strategic communication, media relations, campaigning, content production, marketing, online marketing, social media management, audio-visual content development, strategic communications in countering violent extremism);
- Strong drafting and analytical skills combined with sound judgement, rapid grasp of problems and the capacity to identify issues and solutions;
- Knowledge of external relations, internal policies and functioning of the European Union;
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to establish and maintain a network of contacts both within and outside the Delegation;
- Ability to communicate clearly on complex issues and the capacity to perform with accuracy and in a flexible manner a diversity of tasks in a complex institutional environment;
- Thorough knowledge of social media platforms, especially Twitter and Facebook and other locally trending social media platforms.
The following will be considered an asset:
- a post-graduate degree in a relevant field;
- experience of working in a team in a multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural environment;
- experience of working with social media analytics;
- experience in public speaking;
- knowledge of additional EU languages
How to apply
Please send your application and supporting documents via email to DELEGATION-LIBYA-RECRUITMENT@eeas.europa.eu. Please include "Application for PRESS AND INFORMATION OFFICER (STRATGIC COMMUNICATIONS) in the subject line. The package should include a cover/motivation letter and a detailed CV (preferably in a Europass Format).
The deadline for submitting the application is 25 November 2021. Late submissions will not be considered.
Applications will be reviewed by a Selection Committee set up for this purpose. The Selection Committee will prepare a short-list of candidates who are considered to be the most suitable for the post on the basis of a preliminary assessment of the information provided in their application letter and the supporting documents.
After the evaluation of all applications, shortlisted candidates will be invited for an interview and possibly a written test. Interviews will be held most likely via video-conferencing.
Due to the volume of applications, the Delegation will not be able to answer individual requests on the recruitment procedure. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted individually. However, the Delegation will use the same means of publication as for this Vacancy Notice to inform the remaining applicants once the recruitment procedure has been completed.
The deadline for applications is 25 November 2021