Vacancy: PRESS & INFORMATION OFFICER at the EU Delegation to Libya
The European Union (EU) is an economic and political partnership between 27 European countries. It plays an important role in international affairs through diplomacy, trade, development aid and working with global organisations. Abroad, the EU is represented through more than 140 diplomatic representations, known also as EU Delegations, which have a similar function to those of an embassy.
The EU Delegation to Libya is one of those 140 delegations. Its mandate includes promoting the political and economic relations between Libya and the European Union; overseeing the implementation of EU technical and financial assistance to Libya; and informing the public of the development of the EU and explaining its policies.
The EU Delegation to Libya is recruiting a Press and Information Officer, based in Tripoli. The Press and Information Officer will be part of the Delegation’s Press & Information team, and work under the supervision of the Communications Advisor.
The EU Delegation employs a gender balanced team of around 40 people in the Delegation’s offices in Tripoli and Tunis. The place of employment of the Press and Information Officer is Tripoli.
The initial contract will have the duration of one year, renewable.
We offer a competitive progressive career in an international environment. Benefits, such as additional pension scheme and medical insurance, are offered to employees and their families under certain conditions.
Functions and duties
The Press and Information Officer will be in charge of maintaining relations with local media and journalists, and assist the Delegation’s senior management in interacting with the press, in particular the Head of Delegation as the spokesperson of the EU in Libya. The jobholder will in particular be responsible for:
- Establishing and maintaining relations with journalists and media workers in Libya;
- Acting as focal point for media requests in Arabic and coordinating timely responses to journalists;
- Drafting communication material including press releases, media advisories, social media posts, website articles etc.; contributing to other communication products as required;
- Publishing press communication materials through email, messenger services, the Delegation’s website and social media channels;
- Organising and coordinating communication activities, including arranging interviews for the Head of Delegation and press conferences, compiling background briefings and talking points for speakers, compiling press kits and managing journalists requests on site;
- Monitoring local print, broadcast, digital and social media, compiling a daily press review for internal distribution, compiling press coverage reports after key events and publications;
- Assisting in other duties as assigned.
We are looking for a highly motivated, dynamic person who is able to work independently and at own initiative, while coordinating closely with management and other team members. The jobholder must be ready to undertake travel to Tunis, security and health situation permitting, and to spend an initial training period at the offices of the EU Delegation to Libya in Tunis. The job of a Press & Information Officer requires flexibility and readiness to work outside set working hours when duty requires.
- Medically fit to perform the required duties;
- Be a national of Libya or a national of a Member State of the European Union, having the civil rights and permits for employment under local law;
- University degree (bachelor’s level) in journalism, communication, social science or other relevant field;
- Excellent professional fluency (spoken and written) in English and Arabic;
- Excellent oral and written presentation skills; good IT skills to operate standard office software and web applications;
- At least 2 year of relevant work experience as press officer, journalist, or in another related field;
- A high degree of integrity and the ability to deal with confidential information is required.
- Strong communication skills and proven ability to build positive working relationships with different interlocutors including colleagues, media workers, government representatives and members of public institutions, civil society and international organisations, and other relevant stakeholders;
- Strong team player and ability to work in a multi-cultural environment and with people of different backgrounds;
- Personal initiative, and ability to focus on priorities and to meet deadlines;
The following will be considered an asset:
- Experience in working with an international organisation or diplomatic mission;
- Knowledge of the media landscape in Libya and previous working experience with Libyan media outlets;
- Knowledge of the European Union, its basic functioning and relations with Libya;
- Analytical skills;
- Proven experience in managing professional social media channels and social media communities;
- Experience in event management.
How to apply
Please send your detailed CV and motivation letter via email to DELEGATION-LIBYA-RECRUITMENT@eeas.europa.eu.
Please include "Application for PRESS & INFORMATION OFFICER" in the subject line.
The package should include a cover/motivation letter and a detailed CV (preferably in a Europass Format).
The deadline for submitting the application is 25 November 2021. Late submissions will not be considered.
Applications will be reviewed by a Selection Committee set up for this purpose. The Selection Committee will prepare a short-list of candidates who are considered to be the most suitable for the post on the basis of a preliminary assessment of the information provided in their application letter and the supporting documents.
After the evaluation of all applications, shortlisted candidates will be invited for an interview and possibly a written test. Interviews will be held most likely via video-conferencing.
Due to the volume of applications, the Delegation will not be able to answer individual requests on the recruitment procedure. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted individually. However, the Delegation will use the same means of publication as for this Vacancy Notice to inform the remaining applicants once the recruitment procedure has been completed.
The deadline for applications is 25 November 2021.