This call for proposals will serve the implementation of the thematic programme on human rights and democracy and the implementation of the thematic programme for civil society organisations in Nigeria.
The global objective of the thematic programme on human rights and democracy is to promote and protect human rights and fundamental freedoms, democracy and the rule of law worldwide.
The specific objective is to attain two of the strategic priorities for EU action on protecting and promoting human rights and supporting democracy in line with the EU Human Rights and Democracy Country strategy for Nigeria adopted in 2021.
Lot 1: Freedom of religion or belief
Support relevant institutions, religious leaders and faith-based organisations as well as communities to address key issues such as peacebuilding, human rights, violent extremism, religious polarisation, with a strong focus on the participation of women and youth. Support to the protection of people who have been prosecuted on religious or faith grounds.
Lot 2: Promotion of Digital Rights
Promote the rights in the digital sphere, to harness opportunities and address challenges provided by new technologies.
Civil Society Organisations
The global objective of the support to civil societies is to strengthen CSOs as independent actors of good governance and development in their own right. The specific objective is to contribute to an inclusive, participatory, empowered, and independent civil society and democratic space in Nigeria; and an inclusive and open dialogue with and between Civil Society Organisations.
It also contributes to achieving the following objectives of the EU Roadmap for engagement with civil society in Nigeria (2021 – 2027):
- Promoting participation of civil society in national, sub-national, and sectoral multi-stakeholder policy processes in Nigeria between 2021 – 2027.
- Strengthening civil society organizations’ capacity to hold authorities accountable, be legitimate representatives of the interests of citizens groups with a focus on the priority areas of the MIP, between 2021 – 2027.
- Mainstreaming climate change, youth empowerment, Gender Equality and Social Inclusion (GESI) into EU engagement with CSOs with a focus on the thematic priorities of the MIP between 2021 – 2027.
The selected priorities of the support to civil societies are:
Lot 3: Digital Skills
Support CSOs strengthen digital skills of women, hard-to-reach youths and persons with disabilities in order to create an inclusive digital transformation. Supporting and strengthening CSOs capacity to reduce the digital gender gap and other gaps related to age, disability, location, social and economic status, discrimination and migration/refugee status (IDPs, refugees, etc).
Lot 4: Education
Enabling civil society contribute to policy dialogues on education. Supporting CSO advocacy to expand school curricula at sub national level to include relevant labour-market skills particularly for women, vulnerable youths and persons with disabilities. Supporting CSOs engage with relevant stakeholders on implementing Sangaya Reformation at community and state levels. Support technical engagement (including mainstreaming gender and social inclusion in national and sub-national education policies) between CSOs and key state institutions.
Lot 5: Climate Change
Enabling CSOs contribute to policies that address climate change including issues related to fragility and conflicts. Support CSOs conduct research (including mapping of laws and institutions) and assessments on climate change. Support CSO advocacy and institutionalizing CSO- government engagements on climate change. Support to youth-led and women-led solutions aimed at addressing and mitigating risks and vulnerabilities arising from climate change at community and sub-national levels.
Across the three lots, selected actions aim to strengthen local civil society Organisations’ (CSOs) engagement as actors of good governance and development at country level through:
- Strengthening capacities of local CSOs’ to engage in policy dialogue at national level and in dialogue, implementation and monitoring of EU and national development plans and programmes;
- Improving capacity and ability of local civil society partners to uphold and promote an enabling environment in respective partner country, and
- Strengthening the capacity of local CSOs to engage in gender equality and youth inclusion and strengthened capacity of local women's and youth partner CSOs.
See link to the call for proposals with the relevant documents.