The European Union Delegation to the Federal Republic of Nigeria and ECOWAS is looking for a Budget Officer - Deadline: 22 September 2022
The European Union (EU) is an economic and political partnership between 27 European countries. It plays an important role in international affairs through diplomacy, trade, development aid and working with global organisations. Abroad, the EU is represented through more than 140 diplomatic representations, known also as EU Delegations, which have a similar function to those of the EU embassy development programme.
The EU Delegation to the Federal Republic of Nigeria and ECOWAS works closely with the national, regional and local authorities as well as other foreign missions. The European Union (EU) is a major player in the international development community in Nigeria with an active presence in the key sectors of health, nutrition, water and sanitation and improving access to sustainable electricity. Additional crosscutting activities include the fight against corruption, drugs and organised crime, support to the reform of the justice system, measures to increase the role democratic processes and supporting a greater role for civil society.
We offer a post of Budget Officer . Under this post, the recruited person will be attributed functions depending on the needs of the Delegation. Upon recruitment, the successful candidate will occupy a specific job function as Budget Officer. This job function may be changed in accordance with the needs of the Delegation. Under this job function, the successful candidate will serve as technical and support staff to carry out day-to-day finance and contract management of EU funded projects under the supervision and responsibility of the relevant Head of Section.
The candidate, Local Agent LA1 will work full time (37.5 hours weekly) in a multicultural and multinational environment at the premises of the EU Delegation in Abuja, Nigeria. We offer a competitive position in an international environment. Benefits, such as a pension scheme and medical insurance, are offered to employees and their families under certain conditions. The gross basic salary will be raised in accordance with the current salary scale, depending on years of relevant professional experience, starting from NGN 1,440,847.
- Medically fit to perform the required duties.
- Enjoys civil rights and permits for employment under the Nigerian labour law,
- Excellent knowledge of English, fluency in spoken and written (C2 Level)
- A University degree in Finance, Law, Audit, Business Administration, Public administration or equivalent.
- Minimum 5 years' proven and continuous relevant working experience in performing in finance, law, audit accountancy and/or budgetary duties requiring a measure of initiative and/or sense of responsibility or equivalent, including proven experience of at least 2 years in tendering and finance/contract management in private or public sector.
- Full computer literacy, outstanding knowledge of Microsoft Office applications and good control of Excel, ability to handle statistical data.
- Ability to interpret financial data at an intermediate level and high degree of numeracy and knowledge of project monitoring methods and techniques, including logical framework
- We expect a candidate with deep understanding and experience accountancy in the processing of financial and administrative documents. A high level of personal integrity, able to work under strict deadlines and able to cope with a significant workload such as;
- Applying sound financial management in the financial cooperation programmes and projects.
- Control and initiation of financial transactions.
- Assistance with financial decisions.
- Follow-up of procurement and grant procedures.
- Analysis of draft contracts, riders.
- General management of the contracts.
- Ensuring analysis of invoices, proper preparation and execution of payment orders.
- Registration in databases
- Financial reporting
- Financial and accounting statistics using the relevant databases.
- Liaise with the operational sections.
- Assist in audit activities
- Take part in field missions to monitor the projects.
- The following will be considered an asset:
- Knowledge French language at working level
- Master degree or equivalent in a relevant field (accountancy, finance or business administration)
- Additional qualifications in procurement/financial procedures. Thorough knowledge of financial, budgetary and contractual rules, procedures and previous experience in a diplomatic mission, international organization, or an entity dealing with development aid and projects.
- Familiarity with the 11th EDF and other EU development cooperation instruments, EU project management cycle and procurement/financial procedures
How to apply
Submit your application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications should consist of a letter explaining your interest and suitability for this position and Curriculum Vitae (each 2 pages maximum). These documents should be sent by email to the attention of Head of Administration, on above stated email address. Application should clearly state the title of the post “Budget Officer - Post e-Del-HRM No 99467 and Sysper 2 No 319255”.
After the deadline for applications, the applications will be reviewed by the Selection Committee set up for this purpose. The Selection Committee will prepare a short-list of candidates who are considered the most suitable for this post on the basis of a preliminary assessment of the information provided in their application letter and the supporting document. The short-listed candidates will be invited to an assessment phase, which is a written test, followed by interviews. During this phase, the Selection Committee will assess the suitability of the candidates for the post.
The candidates who have not been short-listed will not be contacted individually; however, the Delegation will inform the remaining candidates by email, once the recruitment procedure has been completed and that a candidate has (or has not) been recruited.
The Delegation will not supply additional information or discuss the selection procedure by telephone: please address any queries concerning this procedure to email@example.com
Applications received after the deadline stated below or not conform to these instructions will be automatically rejected.
Deadline: 22 September 2022
Submit your application to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications should consist of a letter explaining your interest and suitability for this position and Curriculum Vitae (each 2 pages maximum). These documents should be sent by email to the attention of Head of Administration, on above stated email address. Application should clearly state the title of the post “Budget Officer - Post e-Del-HRM No 99467 and Sysper 2 No 319255”.