The European Union Delegation to Papua New Guinea is looking for a SECRETARY - COOPERATION SECTION
The European Union (EU) is an economic and political partnership between 27 European countries. It plays an important role in international affairs through diplomacy, trade, development aid and working with global organisations. Abroad, the EU is represented through more than 140 diplomatic representations, known also as EU Delegations, which have a similar function to those of an embassy. The EU Delegation to Papua New Guinea ensures the representation of the European Union to Papua New Guinea and the follow-up of bilateral relations in the areas of political, economic, trade and external assistance cooperation.
We offer the post of a Secretary in the Cooperation Section, who provides administrative, organizational and logistical support to the Head of Cooperation and/or the Deputy Head of Cooperation and a team of around 10 Programme Managers.
The successful candidate will occupy the specific job function as Secretary. The secretary will be mainly in charge but not limited to draft minutes, notes, letters and reports; to update and maintain a filing system, and the electronic agenda. The secretary will assure an efficient document and communication flow within the Section, the Delegation, towards partners and other third parties; assist with the organization of meetings, receptions, workshops, seminars, conferences and other public events as well as missions including travel arrangements and appointments. The secretary will also be involved in monitoring sectoral developments and in assisting with procurement procedures and project monitoring.
We offer a workplace in a multinational team of local and expatriate staff members. Normal working hours are from Monday to Friday from 08:00 to 17:00 including a lunch break. The Secretary is expected to work beyond normal working hours on occasional basis involving conferences, receptions and other events. Work life balance is assured in the frame of a flexible working time scheme, which also takes into account the occasional increased workload. The place of employment is Port Moresby, while tasks might be required anywhere in Papua New Guinea. Dedicated trainings might be arranged abroad.
After a probationary period of 3 months, an indefinite contract with a minimum gross basic monthly remuneration of PGK 4397 is offered. Relevant qualified working experience will be taken into account and may result in a higher salary. Overtime after working hours will be compensated in the frame of flexible working arrangements. In addition, a monthly transport allowance and a contribution to superannuation fund are granted. A medical insurance scheme with reimbursements of 80 % of eligible health care costs is provided for the employee and eligible dependents. Besides national holidays, annual leave of 1.5 days per month is provided.
- Medically fit to perform the required duties;
- Enjoys civil rights and permits for employment under local law;
- Upper secondary education
- Diploma in one of the relevant fields (secretarial college or equivalent) with duration of minimum one year of full time study
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant working experience
- Very good knowledge of English;
- Excellent computer literacy (Outlook, Excel, Word, Internet);
- Fully vaccinated against Covid-19;
The following will be considered an asset:
- Additional education, 2 year diploma in a relevant field or similar;
- Working experience in a diplomatic mission or international organization in similar positions;
- Basic knowledge of French
- Any additional local language spoken in Papua New Guinea;
- Certificate in IT related trainings (Outlook, Excel, Word, Internet);
- Any certificate of trainings related to the job;
The candidate will be expected to work to a high level of competency, accuracy, confidentiality and reliability, and be able to work independently using his/her own initiative.
How to apply
Interested candidates must submit no other than following documents:
- motivation letter, signed in scanned pdf format
- CV - using only the EU CV template available at: https://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/editors/en/cv/compose, in pdf format
- Declaration on honour, filled in and signed (use template provided), in pdf format
Supporting documents to be attached (all in pdf format):
- Covid-19 vaccination certificate
- Upper secondary education certificate
- Proof of minimum 5 years professional full time work experience after obtaining the education certificates
- Diploma in the relevant field with a duration of minimum one year of full time study
- Training certificates as listed
The motivation letter, the EU-CV and supporting documents must be provided in ONE pdf document each. The size of the entire application package is strictly limited to 3 MB: motivation letter and EU-CV with maximum 1 MB; supporting documents with maximum 2 MB, and must be send by e-mail, quoting reference “COOPERATION SECRETARY 2021" to
The subject line of the e-mail must state Application COOPERATION SECRETARY 2022, LAST NAME, First Name
The selection procedure
After the deadline, all applications will be reviewed by an ad-hoc Selection Committee set up for the purpose of this recruitment. On the basis of a preliminary assessment of the information provided in their application letter and the CV (using only the EU CV template) the Selection Committee will prepare a short-list of candidates who best meet the criteria for the post taking into account the minimum requirements (minimum 5 years of relevant professional experience and school and training certificates). It is important that any certificate must clearly indicate the exact start and end date (Day, Month, Year) – same as indicated in the CV.
Based on the assessment of supporting documents the most suitable for the post will be invited for a written test. Those candidates with the best results (and reaching the pass mark) will be invited for an interview and practical test. The final shortlisted candidate(s) will have to provide original certificates and diplomas, which will be verified with the former employers and the educational entity as well as a recent Police Clearance Certificate. The candidates who have not been short-listed will not be contacted individually; however, the Delegation will use the same means of publication as for this Vacancy Notice to inform the remaining candidates once the recruitment procedure has been completed and that a candidate has (or has not) been recruited.
The Delegation will not provide additional information, technical assistance or discuss the selection and application procedure by telephone or e-mail.
- Candidates who do not strictly comply with above procedure will be disqualified.
- Printed applications and applications sent to another mailbox will not be accepted.
- Candidates must only communicate via above mailbox. No direct contact to any staff member of the EU Delegation is allowed.
The deadline for applications is Friday, 25 February 2022 at 1600hrs.