The European Union Delegation to the State of Qatar is looking for: Press and Information Officer
The European Union (EU) is an economic and political partnership between 27 European countries. It plays an important role in international affairs through diplomacy, trade, development aid and working with global organisations. Abroad, the EU is represented through more than 140 diplomatic representations, known also as EU Delegations.
The EU Delegation to Qatar represents the European Union in Qatar, and plays an essential part in the EU political, economic and commercial relations with the host country, as well as providing information on the policies and institutions of the EU. It has similar function to those of an Embassy.
We offer a post of Press and Information Officer. Under this job function, the successful candidate will contribute to improving the visibility of the European Union in Qatar under the supervision and responsibility of the relevant Head of Section. This job function may be changed in accordance with the needs of the Delegation.
The working time will be in accordance to the Delegation's office working hours and conditions. The successful candidate will be offered an employment contract as Local Agent – Group I. The salary shall commensurate with candidate's qualification and experience. The minimum basic salary is QAR 23,325.00 per month.
We offer a competitive position in an international environment. Benefits, such as additional pension scheme and medical insurance, are offered to employees and their families under certain conditions.
Job functions and duties
Under the direct supervision of the Head of the Political, Press and Information Section, the selected person will help raise the communication, visibility and profile of the EU and of the Delegation to Qatar through developing the Delegation's overall communication and visibility strategy.
His/her activities will comprise of: planning, organising and implementing the Delegation's press and information activities, including outreach events, High Level Meetings, EU State visits as well as public affairs and cultural events.
He/she will develop contacts/networks with media/press in Qatar. He/she will initiate, prepare, evaluate and monitor press and media actions; draft, edit and distribute publication materials; monitor local press, both hard copy and online; manage the Delegation's website and social media accounts; manage the information budget of the Delegation; advise and support the Delegation on all communication matters, including interviews by the Head of Delegation.
We look for
- Candidate should possess a University degree (in international relations, media, communication, journalism or other relevant field) or have obtained an equivalent level of knowledge through extensive professional experience.
- At least 7 years of working experience in the press and information, media or journalistic sectors.
- Excellent communication skills, including the use of social media.
- Good presentation skills.
- Proven networking skills.
- Fully independent in report writing and excellent drafting skills.
- Excellent ability to think analytically and innovatively.
- Capabilities to clearly, efficiently and effectively conceptualise ideas and approaches.
- Good capability to convert ideas into practical results that optimise the efficiency and effectiveness of the Delegation's public activities.
- Able to lead/introduce public events.
- Capacity to focus on priorities, to organise work and meet deadlines.
- Excellent organisational skills.
- Capable of producing high quality results within often-tight deadlines.
- Ability to negotiate at all levels in a multicultural and multilingual environment.
- Sense of initiative.
- Excellent knowledge of the Qatari media environment.
- Excellent knowledge and practical experience of formulating (written and oral) and implementing a communication strategy.
- Excellent ability to carry out Press and Information projects such as publication editing and organisation of events.
- Knowledge of the European Union and EU-GCC relations.
- Excellent command of English and Arabic (written and spoken). The command of other languages will be considered an asset.
Knowledge of IT tools
- Excellent command of Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, etc.)
- Experience in using social media (Facebook, Twitter, IG, Tik Tok, etc.)
- Able to work as a team member with good inter-personal skills.
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment.
- A keen interest in promoting cooperation between the European Union and Qatar/GCC.
Minimum physical requirements
- Suitable to regular office working conditions.
How to apply
Please send your application and supporting documents to: firstname.lastname@example.org (Reference P&I – 04/2022) no later than noon 29 December 2022 (Doha local time).
- The package should include a cover letter and a comprehensive curriculum vitae indicating education level, work experiences, any relevant information.
- Only complete applications received on time will be considered.
- Shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- The successful candidate will be subject to a medical check, background check.
After the deadline for applications, the eligible applications will be admitted to the Selection by the Committee set up for this purpose.
Depending on the number of applications received, successive phases of Selection may include shortlisting of candidates based on the assessment of the information provided, practical testing and interviews. The best three candidates will be invited to the final phase.
Only candidates admitted to each successive selection phase will be contacted individually. The Delegation will use the same means of publication as for this job advertisement to inform the remaining candidates once the recruitment procedure has been completed and that a candidate has (or has not) been recruited.
The Delegation will not supply additional information or discuss the selection procedure. During the selection process, please do not contact the members of the Selection Committee, but address your questions and comments by email to email@example.com.