The European Union Delegation to Rwanda is looking for: PROFESSIONAL DRIVER
The European Union (EU) is an economic and political partnership between 27 European countries. It plays an important role in international affairs through diplomacy, trade, development aid and working with global organisations. Abroad, the EU is represented through more than 140 diplomatic representations, known also as EU Delegations, which have a similar function to those of an embassy.
The European Union (EU) and Rwanda have a long standing partnership focusing on promoting global governance and cooperation in international institutions and on multilateral issues, promoting sustainable and inclusive development of Rwanda, as well as increasing trade and investment between the parties.
We offer a post of Driver in the Administrative Section. Under this post and under the direct supervision of the Head of Administration, the successful candidate will drive the Head of Delegation and the Delegation’s staff on general assignments and official missions. He/she will assist the administrative section in the day-to-day tasks. The specific job function may be changed in accordance with the needs of the Delegation.
The place of employment is:
Delegation of the European Union to Rwanda
Aurore Building – 19 KG 7 Avenue, Kacyiru, Kigali -Rwanda
We offer a competitive progressive career in an international and multicultural environment. Salary will depend on number of years of relevant experience. The vacancy is permanent contract. Benefits such as additional pension scheme and medical insurance are offered to employees and their families under certain conditions.
The requirements are as follows:
Minimum completion of secondary education.
Valid driving licence of class B
Specialised driving training courses
Training courses in First Aid or/and Security practices
Minimum 5 years as professional driver
Working experience in a Diplomatic Mission or an international organisation.
Mechanical knowledge or experience.
Knowledge of languages
ENGLISH –ability to read, to write and to speak (B2 Level)
FRENCH and KINYARWANDA
Knowledge of IT tools
Ability to use a smartphone.
Detailed job description
Job Title: Driver
Job location: Delegation of the European Union to Rwanda
Area of Activity: Administrative Section Category and Career: Local Agent – GF V Situation: Vacant
- The Driver will occupy a specific job function under the direct supervision and responsibility of the Head of Administration.
- The job function may change in accordance with the needs of the Delegation.
- The Driver will drive the Head of Delegation and the Delegation’s staff on general assignments and official missions.
- He/she will assist the administrative section in the day-to-day tasks.
- The Driver will partake as needed in the other activities of the Delegation in accordance with instructions from the Head of Administration or the Head of Delegation.
Functions and duties:
- Drive the Head of Delegation on rotation basis with other drivers of the Delegation on general assignments (Meetings, representation activities…) or official missions within the country.
- Drive the Delegation’s staff on general authorised assignments or official missions within the country.
- Drive occasionally visitors and/or VIP from European Institutions in official visits.
- Drive all types of service vehicles of the Delegation (manual or automatic, passenger vehicle, 4x4, pick up, etc…), in all types of weather conditions, on all types of surfaces (tar road, track road...) and in all types of traffic conditions, within the country and to neighbouring countries, in a safely and skilfully way , respecting Rwanda traffic rules.
- Perform duties of driver in a courteous and professional manner, being mindful at all times of security issues and road conditions.
- Professionally represent the Delegation and the European Union through responsible driving, and wearing the approved uniform.
- Develop and maintain good knowledge of location of offices, buildings and other sites visited by Delegation staff in Kigali and throughout Rwanda. Plan and research driving routes and destinations to ensure timely arrival at specified destinations.
- Perform the day-to-day maintenance of assigned vehicle(s); checking oil, water, battery, tyres (etc…) and before undertaking a long driving.
EDUCATION & TRAINING
- Minimum completion of secondary education.
- Valid driving license of class B
- Specialised driving training courses are an asset.
- Training courses in First Aid or/and Security practices are an asset.
KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE
- Minimum 5 years experience as professional driver.
- Work experience in a Diplomatic Mission or an International Organisation in Rwanda is an asset.
- Excellent knowledge of local traffic laws.
- Excellent knowledge of the city of Kigali and the country.
- Mechanical knowledge or experience is an asset.
- Good command of English (B2 Level)
- Oral and written in French and Kinyarwanda are an asset.
- Capacity to communicate clearly and draft precisely when needed.
- Good ability to work in a team
- Excellent service minded attitude
- Ability to adapt and to work in a multi-cultural environment
- Capacity to manage priorities, to maintain accurate records and to handle difficult situations that may occur.
- Computer literacy enabling a quick adaptability to new software, including the software applications specific to the European Union;
- Ability to use a smartphone and specific traffic applications.
- Discretion and punctuality.
- Commitment to represent the prestige of the European Union and wearing the approved uniform.
- Flexibility to work under pressure and in overtime (late in evenings, during weekends and public holidays).
- Availability to be on official missions for several days in a row.
- Commitment to assure quality, speed and accuracy in performing administrative duties
- Maintain the appearance of Delegation vehicles, inside at all times, and outside when conditions permit.
- Ensure the security of Delegation vehicles when outside Delegation premises.
- Report immediately to the line manager defects or repairs needed to vehicles.
- Complete daily log-books and records detailing official trips, daily mileage, petrol consumption, oil changes etc of the Delegation vehicle.
- Complete incidents or accident reports as required.
- Assist with general administrative tasks when required, relating to Delegation staff, property and management, as directed by the Head of Administration.
- Deliver or collect documents, materials and light equipment as directed.
- Liaise with local authorities and other contacts in following up on matters related to the Delegation's administration, including customs clearance and vehicle registration.
- Assist with representational activities of the Delegation (receptions, meetings, dinners).
- Undertake other tasks in line with his/her competencies, as assigned by the Head of Delegation or Head of Administration, and provide appropriate backstopping for absent colleagues.
How to apply
Please send your application and supporting documents by email (maximum size 1MB) to DELEGATION-RWANDA-HR@eeas.europa.eu with the subject of the message : "Application LA: Driver – [Family Name and first name].
The package should include a cover letter, a detailed CV, copy recto-verso of driving licence and 1 reference. Only shortlisted candidate will be invited to a test and an interview. Recruitment of the successful candidate will be subject to medical fitness.
The Delegation will not supply additional information or discuss the selection procedure by telephone: please address any queries concerning this procedure to email@example.com
The deadline for applications is: 22 September 2021 at 13:00 (Rwandan time).