European Union Resilience Supplementary Scholarship Award 2021-2022 Bachelors and Masters Programme
On behalf of the EU Delegation to Somalia, UNOPS is pleased to announce the second round of the EU Resilience Supplementary Scholarship.
The scholarships will support qualified Somali students pursuing a Bachelors and Master’s degree in a variety of fields related to resilience, including but not limited to; climate change adaptation, livelihoods, food security, nutrition, durable solutions and sustainable development in selected study programmes at any certified university across the region.
The scholarship is open to all eligible students above the age of 18 years old and is intended to provide support for student costs for a one-year cycle, where relevant. Up to 20 scholarships will be awarded to eligible students. The EU and the UN are both committed to the achievement of gender equality and the empowerment of women and girls, Goal 5 of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). To this end, female candidates will be prioritized in an effort to improve gender diversity in academia as well as the resilience sector.
I. What is the objective of the Scholarship Programme?
The scholarship has been set up as part of the efforts of the European Union to contribute to Somalia’s resilience sector. The Scholarship aims to strengthen educational opportunities for youth, with the optimal goal of transforming Somali students’ expertise relating to resilience, further building capacity for staff in the public sector.
IV. What does the Scholarship cover?
Scholarships will be awarded to Somali students that meet the requirements outlined in section V below. The scholarship can be used towards tuition fees, covering programme enrolment fees, computers, boarding costs, and any relevant costs associated with obtaining a Master's or Bachelor's degree.
Examples of scholarship uses:
- Tuition fees for the academic year 2021/2022. This also applies to distance learning programmes for institutions that have closed campuses due to Covid-19 pandemic.
- The costs of accommodation in boarding facilities, for students who attend classes in person.
- Study materials and resources needed for students to perform in the programme (books, laptops, calculators, and smartphones for the duration of the studies).
The scholarship does not include:
- Personal travel and expenses not related to the studies.
V. Who is eligible to apply for the Scholarship?
To ensure equal opportunity for each candidate, the competition for the scholarship is based on merit and open to all eligible applicants who meet the following requirements:
- Must be a Somali citizen.
- Must have scored 60 % or higher in the National Secondary Examination 2020/2021.
- Must be enrolled or accepted in a University (attending in person or remote learning) at the time of application. (Proof of enrolment is required).
VI. Selection Process
The selection process will be in three stages and all eligible applications will be provided an equal opportunity. The applications will be reviewed by a Evaluation Committee using the following scoring methodology:
- Quality of the written essay (60 points). Applicants scoring a minimum score of 42 points or above will be invited for an interview.
- Interview (40 points)
The decisions by the Evaluation Committee will be final and will not be subject to any appeals.
- Submission of Applications – 20 April 2021
- Interviews will commence first week of May 2021
How to Apply
Step 1: Interested applicants can APPLY HERE. Applicants must attach the required supporting documents. The deadline for submitting applications is 20 April 2021, 5:00 pm Eastern Africa Time (EAT).
- Applications received after the specified date and time will not be accepted or considered for review.
- The application form must be properly filled, and all required supporting documents attached.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Applicants must only submit one application.
Step 2: The Selection Panel will shortlist candidates for written tests and interviews. There will be one written test. The test will be conducted in English.
Step 3: The shortlisted candidates will receive an invitation to a virtual interview.
Applicants will be asked to produce an essay (400-500 words) related to resilience, including but not limited to; climate change adaptation, livelihoods, durable solutions and sustainable development.
To ensure equal opportunities for all, applicants will be notified of the exact date of the test and will be provided 24 hours to submit their documents for assessment.
The successful applicants will be interviewed using the following areas and will be notified of the designated time and date with 24 hours notice.
- Openness to new learning experiences and cultures.
- Curiosity and motivation.
- Study subjects of interest and courses the candidate would like to enrol in.
- Communication and oral skills, including but not limited to spoken English.
- Social competences and active involvement in after-school activities (sports, clubs, competitions, etc.).
During the interviews, the Interview Panel will give high consideration to the motivation of students, their openness to other cultures.
Applications received after the specified date and time will not be accepted or considered for review. Incomplete applications will be disregarded. Applicants must only submit one application.
Qualified female applicants are strongly encouraged to apply.
The list of scholarship recipients for the academic year 2021-2022 will be announced at the end of May 2021.
The entire application process for the scholarship is free of charge.
For additional information during the application process please contact: Fatuma Ahmed firstname.lastname@example.org.