Translator/Interpreter in the EU Delegation to Tajikistan
The European Union (EU) is an economic and political partnership between 27 European countries. It plays an important role in international affairs through diplomacy, trade, development aid and working with global organizations. Abroad, the EU is represented through more than 140 diplomatic representations, known also as EU Delegations, which have a similar function to those of an embassy.
The EU Delegation to the Republic of Tajikistan works in close coordination with the Embassies and Consulates of the 27 EU Member States. We are a fully-fledged diplomatic mission and represent the European Union in dealings with the Tajik government in areas that are part of the EU’s remit.
The post of Translator/Interpreter (Local Agent Group I) in the EU Delegation office. The team consists of 31 people and there are occasional atypical working hours. Under this post, the recruited person will be attributed functions depending on the needs of the Delegation, and on the changes of these needs. The successful candidate will serve under the supervision and responsibility of the Head of Delegation, providing support, expertise and assistance in the translation/interpretation field.
Following main tasks and duties are currently required:
- Translation of documents, notes, letters, articles, etc. from Tajik and Russian into English and vice versa upon request of the Head of the Delegation and Heads of Sections. General linguistic support (contacts with Government Authorities). Preparation/translation of diplomatic notes/documents.
- Providing interpretation assistance to Head of Delegation, visitors and individual staff members and/or Delegation from Tajik and Russian into English and vice and versa. Assisting in the organization and interpretation of high level meetings, missions, special events, seminars, press conferences, etc.
The base salary will depend on relevant and verified employment experience, typically starting from 1771 EUR. There is a competitive benefits package, subject to certain conditions, including personal leave days and public holidays, health insurances and a retirement savings plan.
The expected start date will be 03/01/2023.
Minimum requirements / eligibility criteria
- University level education of at least 4 years (Bachelor or Master degree) highly preferably in Translation/Interpretation, Linguistics, Philology
- At least 2 years of experience in translation and 4 years of experience in interpretation, preferably with a multi-national organisation and/or ministry
- Excellent knowledge of English (C1), Russian and Tajik (C2)
- Computer skills and sound knowledge of electronic information handling (MS Office or equivalent, E-mail Client, Internet browser)
- Medically fit to perform the required duties;
Assets / selection criteria
- Commitment to quality, speed and accuracy in work;
- Nationality of the Republic of Tajikistan, or possession of a work permit.
How to apply
Please send your application and supporting documents by e-mail to DELEGATION-TAJIKISTAN-HR@eeas.europa.eu for the attention of the Head of Administration. The package should include a cover letter and detailed CV using EU CV template available at:
http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/en/documents/curriculum-vitae/templates-instructions. The subject line should be: Last name, First Name, application for Translator/Interpreter/EU DEL/2022.
The successful candidate will be subject to a medical check.
After the deadline for applications, the eligible applications will be admitted to the Selection by the Committee set up for this purpose.
Depending on the number of applications received, successive phases of Selection may include shortlisting of candidates based assessment of the information provided in the cover letter and CV, practical testing and interviews. The best 5 candidates will be invited to the final interview.
Only candidates admitted to each successive selection phase will be contacted individually. The Delegation will use the same means of publication as for this job advertisement to inform the remaining candidates once the recruitment procedure has been completed and that a candidate has (or has not) been recruited.
The Delegation will not supply additional information or discuss the selection procedure. During the selection process, please do not contact the members of the Selection Committee, but address your questions and comments to the Delegation’s Administration to DELEGATION-TAJIKISTAN-HR@eeas.europa.eu.
The deadline for applications is 15/11/2022, at 12:00 noon.