To Certification and Beyond: Market Access for Sustainable Coffee, Horticulture and Tea from Tanzania
Sector: Agriculture (Coffee, Horticulture and Tea)
Lead Partner: Solidaridad East and Central Africa
Other Partners: Tanzania Coffee Research Institute (TaCRI); Tea Research Institute of Tanzania (TRIT); Horticultural Research & Training Institute (HORTI-TENGERU)
Budget: EUR 3 026 455
EU Contribution: EUR 2 680 000
Duration: 2020 - 2024
- Train smallholder farmers and producers on agronomy and primary processing, gender inclusivity, and on digital solutions.
- Promote institutional strengthening of farmer associations, cooperatives and tea factories.
- Train extension workers (relevant Ministry, local government authorities, and consortium partners TaCRI, TRIT, HORT-TENGERU) on VSS principles.
- Provide local independent auditors with training to facilitate VSS certification audits and support the accreditation process.
- Establish environmental and social governance (ESG) criteria for farmers producing sustainably, with the support of Solidaridad digital solutions (Farming Solutions).
- Sensitise value chain actors on VSS compliance and adoption of baseline environmental, social and governance frameworks.
- Initiate match making sessions (meetings, auctions, field visits, publicity) between buyers/traders and producers in Tanzania.
- Develop guidelines for VSS for tea, coffee and horticulture.
- Lobbying key sector players to establish incentives (through premiums, better prices, good governance, improved productivity and product quality).
- Provide training for farmers, cooperatives and tea factories on the implementation of labour standards as part of VSS.