Finance and Contracts Assistant - Foreign Policy Instruments (FPI)
(Please see the end of the page for PDF of the job description and details of how to apply).
The core business of the European Commission’s Service for Foreign Policy Instruments (FPI) is to put EU foreign policy into action – fast and flexibly – in a policy-driven approach. The Service deals with the regulatory and financial aspects of EU foreign policy. It acts as first responder to foreign policy needs and opportunities, focusing on conflict prevention and peace as well as on leveraging the EU’s influence in the world. It also supports initiatives on global, trans-regional and emerging threats and the Service performs the role of administrator and perform the financial tasks of the European Peace Facility in relation to assistance measures with military and defence implications.
The Service plays a crucial role in translating the European Commission’s political priorities into external action, in line with the EU’s Global Strategy for Foreign and Security Policy.
The Service reports directly to the High Representative/Vice President. The Service works in close cooperation with the other Commission services, as well as with the European External Action Service (EEAS), both in headquarters and in delegations.
FPI staff around the globe are proud of the work that they are achieving and have a strong sense of purpose and motivation. They take, and value, a high level of personal responsibility. A policy-driven approach, a focus on priorities, solutions and impact, combined with a welcoming and supporting atmosphere, are part of the service’s corporate culture. In terms of values, the service promotes professionalism and teamwork, encourages commitment and promotes respect. It also seeks to embed trust and fairness while prioritizing effective communication at all levels.
Further details on the job framework, on the job content and on the job requirements are given below.
Act as Financial Initiating Agent on Foreign Policy Instruments financial and contractual transactions related to projects implemented in the Delegation of assignment, ensuring their compliance with the applicable rules, regulations, procedures and the principle of sound financial management. Prepare and participate in calls for proposals and calls for tenders. Contribute to financial reporting, provide legal and financial advice. Work in close coordination with the Foreign Policy Instruments Regional Team, assisting the Head of the Finance and Contracts Cell with other financial and budgetary tasks.
FUNCTION AND DUTIES
BUDGET, FINANCE, CONTRACTS and ACCOUNTING
- Ensure compliance of the financial transactions with the regulatory environment (e.g. basic acts, Financial Regulation, implementing rules, internal rules, financing decisions, instructions,…). Ensure the legality, regularity and correctness of agreements, procurement contracts and grant agreements, invoices and recovery orders by performing a standard set of checks and control procedures.
- Implement and monitor internal control principles with respect to financial procedures.
- Assess and ensure the successful completion of the financial circuit for payments/recovery orders in the accounting system.
- Participate as secretary in evaluation committees.
- Assist in the preparation and control of the financial aspects in the calls for tenders and calls for proposals.
- Assist with the reporting, planning, budgeting and audit actors as regards required information.
- Manage Functional Mail Boxes as assigned.
- Backstop for other staff, particularly during absences.
- Provide support on finance and contracts issues to EU Delegations by replying to questions/issues raised.
- Occasionally provide back up for financial initiation tasks to EU Delegations in the region in order to ensure business continuity.
INFORMATION and DOCUMENT MANAGEMENT
- Manage correspondence on financial issues with external and internal actors within the tasks and topics assigned.
- Oversee all original contracts and corresponding databases.
- Check and ensure the correctness and authenticity of the originals of signed contracts and other original financial documents.
- Ensure the quality and consistency of financial data in the different databases and systems.
AUDIT, CONTROL and INSPECTION
- Participate in the risk assessment of contracts with the aim to identify cases that require an additional ex-ante control (e.g. supporting documents, on-the-spot control, external audit).
- Cooperate with the operational and audit actors so as to provide additional information needed in the scope of the performed audits.
- Provide comments on draft audit and expenditure verification reports. Carry out on-the-spot checks.
Budget, Finance, contracts and accounting
- Diploma: He/she must have a post-secondary education in accounting, business administration or relevant discipline attested by a diploma, or a secondary education in accounting or relevant discipline attested by a diploma giving access to post-secondary education, and appropriate professional experience of minimum three years.
- Job-Related experience: in addition of diploma requirements he/she must have at least 3 years working experience in the Administration and Financial management of projects. Past experience in management of European Union’s funded programmes would be an asset.
Budget, Finance, contracts and accounting
- Knowledge of standard principles and procedures relating to administrative support and logistics;
- Computer literacy (thorough knowledge of commonly used programs such as Word, Excel, MS Project, PowerPoint, etc.);
- Prior knowledge of the administrative rules and procedures of the Commission is considered an asset.
- Excellent command of English is essential (written and spoken);
- Command of Thai is considered an asset;
- Knowledge of another EU language is considered an asset.
Analysis and problem solving
- Inquiring mind;
- Capacity to analyse and structure information.
- Ability to understand and be understood;
- Drafting skills;
- Networking skills.
Delivering Quality and Results
- Capacity to act upon problems;
- Ability to work in a proactive and autonomous way;
- Quality & process management abilities.
Prioritising and Organising
- Capacity to deliver in a structured way;
- Planning capacity.
- Capacity to work under pressure.
Working with Others
- Ability to work in a team.
Interested candidates should send their CV & a short motivation letter (max. 1 page) as follows:
Subject: Application for vacancy LA Group 2 FPI N° 289386 – Finance and Contracts Assistant
Deadline for application: 10/06/2022, at 18H00, Bangkok’s time
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.