The European Union Delegation to Ukraine is looking for a Project Officer
We are: The European Union (EU) is an economic and political partnership between 27 European countries. It plays an important role in international affairs through diplomacy, trade, development aid and working with global organisations. Abroad, the EU is represented through more than 140 diplomatic representations, known also as EU Delegations, which have a similar function to those of an embassy. The EU Delegation to Ukraine is one of those 140 delegations. Its mandate includes promoting the political and economic relations between Ukraine and the European Union, monitoring the implementation of the Association Agreement between the EU and Ukraine and informing the public of developments in the EU. Furthermore, the EU Delegation plans and manages European Union technical assistance programmes in the country.
We offer a post of a Project Officer covering conflict-affected regions in Ukraine. Under this post, the recruited person will be attributed functions depending on the needs of the Delegation. Upon recruitment, the successful candidate will occupy a specific job function as Project Officer – this job function may be changed in accordance with the needs of the Delegation. Under the supervision and responsibility of the relevant Head of Section, the successful candidate will serve as technical and support staff to advise and manage the implementation of EU-funded projects and programmes with Ukraine and contribute to policy dialogue with national authorities and to liaising with sector stakeholders in all matters pertaining to conflict-affected regions, with a particular focus on the East and South of Ukraine.
Functions and duties
- To conduct conceptual reflections and assist in elaborating work programmes, strategic documents and new approaches in the area of assignment,
- To participate in and support preparation of policy dialogue with relevant ministries, agencies, donors and other relevant stakeholders in the same area,
- To provide analytical, statistical or any other input for EC funded programming and implementation, as well as for their development in the same area.
Programme/project management (finance, budget and control)
- To initiate launching, to assist in the management and the monitoring of calls for proposals/tenders, evaluation and selection of projects; to prepare Terms of Reference and to initiate procurement process,
- To ensure the follow-up of project implementation, also by means of the IT tools developed / provided, the performance of project contractors and partners, monitoring contractual obligations, gathering and handling external expertise,
- To analyse and assess project results, notably through project reports, and proceed with payment requests,
- To interact and co-ordinate with beneficiary institutions, national / regional authorities and administrations, other donors and other relevant stakeholders in the areas of responsibility.
Evaluation and Audit
- To assist and contribute to evaluation and audit activities initiated by the Commission and other EU bodies.
Information, Communication, Publications
- To contribute to the Delegation’s Annual Management Plan forecast and the External Assistance Management Report in the area of activity,
- To extract and disseminate best practice and present the programme and its projects, and to contribute to the Information and Communication activities,
- To provide every relevant information to Commission services and European External Action Service, to elaborate briefings and reports in the area of activity, to participate in the meetings with local counterparts, to provide assistance to headquarter missions.
The successful candidate will be based in Kyiv. Working time: 37.5 working hours/week. The contract ("local agent" type contract - Group I) will be concluded as unlimited term contract.
We offer a competitive position in an international environment. Benefits, such as additional pension scheme and medical insurance, are offered to employees and their families under certain conditions.
- Medically fit to perform the required duties;
- Enjoys civil rights and permits for employment under local law. Non-Ukrainian candidate shall present work and residence permit for the duration of the contract;
- Has a fluent written and spoken English; fluent in Ukrainian and Russian;
- University degree;
- Job-Related experience: at least 5 years of experience of working in the areas of:
- international relations and/or project management, preferably for or with International Organisations, civil society organisations, International Financial Institutions or think tanks.
- Good knowledge of project management and coordination issues
- Good understanding of the European Union’s external assistance in Ukraine
- Good understanding of contracting procedures and financial issues
- Good knowledge of organisational practices along project management cycle
- Good understanding of the situation in Southern and Eastern Ukraine, in particular in conflict-affected areas.
- Excellent drafting skills and ability to summarise complex issues in a concise and readable fashion
- Capacity to communicate clearly, concisely and proactively, and with a wide set of actors, including in a complex and sensitive political setting
- Ability to listen and understand, to consult and to share information and ideas
- Ability to work in a team in a multi-cultural environment
- Ability to discuss and negotiate with administrations and other entities from both private and public sector
- Strong analytical skills
- Ability to apply contractual rules to diverse real-life situations and find practical solutions
Management skills/Organisational skills:
- Good organisational skills
- Ability to prioritise tasks and to meet deadlines
- Computer skills and knowledge of Word Office, Excel IT tools
- English C2 C2 C2 C2 C2 (Listening, Reading, Spoken interaction, Spoken production, Writing)
- Ukrainian C2 C2 C2 C2 C2 (Listening, Reading, Spoken interaction, Spoken production, Writing)
- Russian C2 C2 C2 C2 C2 (Listening, Reading, Spoken interaction, Spoken production, Writing)
- Commitment to quality, speed and accuracy in ensuring a smooth and correct implementation of contractual procedures
- Sense of responsibility
- Ability to both work independently, with limited supervision and as a member of a team
- Integrity and high degree of responsibility in handling EU funding
- Master’s degree
- Professional experience in conflict and post-conflict settings, including with international organisations and development partners.
How to apply
Please send your application and supporting documents to DELEGATION-UKRAINE-JOBS@eeas.europa.eu. The package should include a cover letter and a detailed CV.
After the evaluation of all applications received is over, shortlisted candidates will be invited for a written test and interviews.
The Delegation will not supply additional information or discuss the selection procedure by telephone: please address any queries concerning this procedure to DELEGATION-UKRAINE-JOBS@eeas.europa.eu
After the deadline for applications, a Selection Committee set up for this purpose will review all received applications. The Selection Committee will prepare a short-list of candidates who are considered the most suitable for the post on the basis of a preliminary assessment of the information provided in their application letter and supporting documents. The short-listed candidates will be invited to an assessment phase, which includes an interview – during this phase the Selection Committee will assess the suitability of the candidates for the post.
Candidates who have not been short-listed will not be contacted individually; however, the Delegation will use the same means of publication as for this Vacancy Notice to inform the remaining candidates once the recruitment procedure has been completed and that a candidate has (or has not) been recruited.
The deadline for applications is 31 December 2021 at 18:00 Kyiv local time