Joining Forces for LGBTI Rights Around the World
The EU Delegation to the United States, in partnership with the U.S. State Department and Capital Pride Alliance, is pleased to invite you to
Joining Forces for LGBTI Rights around the World
Tuesday, June 22, 2021 | 9:30 AM – 10:30 AM ET
To mark Pride Month, the European Union Delegation to the United States invites you to a discussion on how the international community can help advance LGBTI rights around the world.
Respecting our differences is part of who we are and how we relate to others. Our democracies are built upon respect for diversity. However, across the world, cultural, traditional, or religious values are still used to justify persecution and discrimination against LGBTI persons. That is why the EU, together with the United States and other partners, is actively working to protect LGBTI persons from discrimination and violence, and to guarantee the enjoyment of civil rights for all.
This event is part of Pride Talks, a Capital Pride Alliance series of special conversations with influential figures, educators, activities, local and international celebrities, and leaders of the intersectional social justice movement.
- Ambassador Stavros Lambrinidis, European Union Delegation to the United States
- Lisa Peterson, Senior Bureau Official for Civilian Security, Democracy and Human Rights, U.S. Department of State
- Mark Bromley, Chair, The Council for Global Equality
- Olena Shevchenko, Director, Insight
- Urooj Arshad, Senior Program Manager, Dignity for All: LGBTIQ+ Assistance Program, Freedom House
- Bjorn van Roozendaal, Programmes Director, ILGA Europe
- Michael K. Lavers, International News Editor, Washington Blade (moderator)
The EU takes action globally to prevent and denounce all forms of discrimination against LGBTI persons, including homophobic, biphobic and transphobic violence, while promoting their access to equal opportunities in all spheres of life. It is important that we constantly challenge discriminatory laws, policies and practices, including the criminalization of consenting same-sex relations, worldwide. #EU4Equality