The European Union Delegation to the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan/sub-office Yemen is looking for a Project Officer
The European Union (EU) is an economic and political partnership between 27 European countries. It plays an important role in international affairs through diplomacy, trade, development aid and working with global organisations. Abroad, the EU is represented through more than 140 diplomatic representations, known also as EU Delegations, which have a similar function to those of an embassy.
The EU Delegation to the Republic of Yemen is part of the network of those 140 delegations. Under the authority of the High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy, who is also Vice President of the European Commission, EU Delegations promote, inter alia, the political, trade and economic relations between partner countries and the European Union, informing the public of developments in the EU and explaining policies and participating in the implementation of the European Union's assistance programmes.
We offer a post of Project Officer.
Under this post, the recruited person will be attributed functions depending on the needs of the Delegation. Upon recruitment, the successful candidate will occupy a specific job function as Project Officer – this job function may be changed in accordance with the needs of the Delegation.
The successful candidate will be part of the Development Cooperation Section and provide high quality co-ordination and management of the implementation of EU development programmes in Yemen under the supervision of the Head of Cooperation. In addition, the successful candidate will assist the Head of Cooperation in implementing the part of the EU Delegation’s communications strategy that concerns development cooperation actions.
Main tasks include but are not limited to:
- Contribute to all aspects of Project Cycle Management of EU-funded development projects in Yemen: identification, formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation, and assessment.
- Ensure clear, coherent and consistent communication about the EU’s development cooperation activities in Yemen, including by identifying topics for communications campaigns and preparing and overseeing contracts with communications experts.
- Contribute to the preparation of financing decisions and contracts for EU-funded development interventions in Yemen. Contribute to procurement processes including identification and selection of projects, drafting Terms of Reference, launching and evaluating tenders and/ or calls for proposals, award of contracts, etc.
- Ensure the supervision and follow-up of ongoing EU-funded development projects in Yemen and monitor compliance with implementing partners’ contractual obligations (via periodic reviews, audits, reporting, evaluations, etc.), gather and handle external expertise.
- Monitor performance of ongoing development projects, elaborate progress and evaluation reports on projects and project achievements and propose action if and when needed to solve problems or improve the quality and impact of interventions including by ensuring mainstreaming of key thematic priorities such as gender equality and conflict sensitivity.
- Establish and maintain effective contacts and collaboration with relevant authorities and institutions, implementing partners, representatives of the EU Member States and other key stakeholders.
- Provide timely and accurate contributions to briefings, reports, etc., including on project progress as well as on relevant thematic issues.
The successful candidate will be working for the sub-office Yemen of the EU Delegation Jordan, located in Amman. Some short missions in Yemen may be necessary (if security conditions allow).
The working hours are 37.5 per week (from Sunday to Thursday).
The contract - “local agent” post of a Project Officer group I- will be concluded for an initial fixed-term period of 2 years.
We offer a competitive position in an international environment. Benefits, such as additional pension scheme and medical insurance, are offered to employees and their families under certain conditions. The successful candidate will have access to the training catalogue of the European Union and will be provided with relevant trainings for this position.
- Medically fit to perform the required duties;
- Enjoys civil rights and permits for employment under local law in Jordan;
- Has excellent knowledge of written and spoken English and Arabic;
- Formal education which corresponds to completed university studies of at least three years’ duration attested by a diploma, preferably including subjects in one or more of the following domains: international development, communications, political science, social sciences, international relations, law, economics
- Minimum of five years of work experience, of which at least two years working on international development for an NGO, INGO, international organisation or donor agency
The following will be considered assets:
- Professional experience in the management of development assistance. Knowledge of Project Cycle Management (identification, formulation, implementation, public communication, monitoring and evaluation) and the Logical Framework Approach.
- Professional experience in the field of strategic communications.
- Experience of specific thematic areas of work of relevance to the EU’s portfolio in Yemen, such as human and social development, migration and displacement, economic development, peace and security, gender, human rights, civil society, conflict sensitivity
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, including ability to work as part of a team as well as develop networks and relationships with partner organisations and key stakeholders
- Experience of working in Yemen, or good knowledge of the situation in Yemen.
How to apply
Please send your application and supporting documents to DELEGATION-YEMEN-RECRUITMENT@eeas.europa.eu clearly indicating in the subject field: Project Officer - post n° 273638
The package should include a cover letter and a CV of max 3 pages (no other attachments please), including contact details of two referees.
The Delegation will not supply additional information or discuss the selection procedure by telephone: please address any queries concerning this procedure to DELEGATION-YEMEN-RECRUITMENT@eeas.europa.eu.
After the deadline for applications, the applications will be reviewed by a Selection Committee set up for this purpose. The Selection Committee will prepare a short-list of candidates who are considered to be the most suitable for the post on the basis of a preliminary assessment of the information provided in their application letter and the supporting documents. The short-listed candidates will be invited to an assessment phase which may include an interview and a written test if necessary. During this phase, the Selection Committee will assess the suitability of the candidates for the post.
The candidates who have not been short-listed will not be contacted individually; however, the Delegation will use the same means of publication as for this Vacancy Notice to inform the remaining candidates once the recruitment procedure has been completed and that a candidate has (or has not) been recruited.
The deadline for applications is June 18th, 2022 16:00 Amman local time
Applications received after this date will not be considered.