The European Union (EU) is an economic and political partnership between 27 European countries. It plays an important role in international affairs through diplomacy, trade, development aid and working with global organisations. Abroad, the EU is represented through more than 140 diplomatic representations, known also as EU Delegations, which have a similar function to those of an embassy.
The EU Delegation to the Republic of Yemen is part of the network of those 140 Delegations. The work of a Delegation varies from country to country but, in general, covers political matters, press and information, trade, aid management and the external aspects of internal EU policies. The EU Delegations are placed under the authority of the High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy, who is also Vice President of the European Commission.
We offer a post of Project Officer for development cooperation. Under this post, the recruited person will be attributed functions depending on the needs of the Delegation.
The successful candidate will be part of the Development Cooperation Section and provide high quality co-ordination and management of the implementation of EU development programmes in Yemen under the supervision of the Head of Cooperation.
The working hours will be 37.5 hours per week from Sunday to Thursday.
The place of employment is Sana’a.
Unlimited contract – “Local Agent” type contract - Group I
We offer a competitive position in an international environment. Benefits, such as additional pension scheme and medical insurance, are offered to employees and their families under certain conditions.
- Medically fit to perform the required duties;
- Enjoys civil rights and permits for employment under local law;
- Has a good command of Arabic and English (written and spoken)
- University degree. Preferably in one of the following fields: Development Studies, Economics, Business Administration, Law, Political and/or Social Science, Public Administration.
- Minimum of 5 years proven professional experience pertinent to the duties announced in this vacancy
- Minimum of 2 years proven professional experience as project manager
The following will be considered an asset:
- Detailed understanding of development issues in Yemen, including knowledge of implementing partners working in Yemen.
- Experience of specific thematic areas of work of relevance to the EU’s portfolio in Yemen, such as human and social development, economic development, peace and security, gender, human rights, civil society.
- Professional experience in the management of external aid. Knowledge of Project Cycle Management (PCM) (identification, formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation)
- Familiarity with EU procurement and financial management rules and procedures would be an advantage.
How to apply
Please send your application and supporting documents to DELEGATION-YEMEN-RECRUITMENT@eeas.europa.eu clearly indicating in the subject file : Project officer – post n°129376
The package should include a cover letter and a detailed CV.
The Delegation will not supply additional information or discuss the selection procedure by telephone: please address any queries concerning this procedure to DELEGATION-YEMEN-RECRUITMENT@eeas.europa.eu
After the deadline for applications, the applications will be reviewed by a Selection Committee set up for this purpose. The Selection Committee will prepare a short-list of candidates who are considered to be the most suitable for the post on the basis of a preliminary assessment of the information provided in their application letter and the supporting documents. The short-listed candidates will be invited to an assessment phase which may include an interview and additional testing if necessary – during this phase, the Selection Committee will assess the suitability of the candidates for the post.
The candidates who have not been short-listed will not be contacted individually; however, the Delegation will use the same means of publication as for this Vacancy Notice to inform the remaining candidates once the recruitment procedure has been completed and that a candidate has (or has not) been recruited.
The deadline for applications is: 3rd of February 2022 Amman (Jordan) local time
Applications received after this date will not be considered