The European Union Delegation to Zambia is looking for an: Secretary
The European Union (EU) is an economic and political partnership between 28 European countries. It plays an important role in international affairs through diplomacy, trade, development aid and working with global organisations. Abroad, the EU is represented through more than 140 diplomatic representations, known also as EU Delegations, which have a similar function to those of an embassy.
The EU Delegation to the Republic of Zambia and COMESA:
- Ensures the representation of the European Union to the Republic of Zambia and the Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA);
- Ensures the follow-up of bilateral relations in the areas of political, economic, trade and external assistance cooperation (financial and technical);
- Ensures the follow-up of EU policies in all sectors;
- Promotes and defends the values and interests of the EU;
- Coordinates the work of the Member States’ Embassies, particularly in the fields of EU competences, notably trade and external assistance;
- Ensures the tasks of the EU Presidency and carries out CFSP demarches as appropriate;
- Reports back to Headquarters on all matters of interest for EU policies;
- Carries out press and public diplomacy activities in pursuit of the above;
- Ensures the multi-annual programming of aid and the management of programmes and devolved projects within the framework of the external aid instruments of the EU Budget and the European Development Fund in line with the Communication "Increasing the impact of EU Development Policy: an Agenda for Change".
We offer a post of Secretary . Under this post, the recruited person will be attributed functions depending on the needs of the Delegation. Upon recruitment, the successful candidate will occupy a specific job function as Secretary – this job function may be changed in accordance with the needs of the Delegation. Under this job function the successful candidate will serve as technical and support staff to
- Assistance in coordinating regular reporting to Brussels (Financial Forecasts, EAMRs and JAR). Assistance in the coordination with other CPs in Zambia, in particular under the WHIP coordination responsibility assumed by the Delegation
- Assistance in planning HQ or other missions involving the operations area
- Taking up if necessary(in case of vacancies) some technical or administrative tasks in one of the operational sections
- Filing of EDF programming documents, main documents related to national and regional projects, maintaining the filing system
- Contribute to administrative quality checks on files for signature
- Registration of incoming and outgoing correspondence
- Type and dispatch correspondence including mail for diplomatic pouch
- Drafting minutes of meetings (notably monthly operational + F&C sections meetings)
- Receive and escort visitors from and to reception for security clearance
- Schedule the Head of Cooperation's appointments and arrange for meetings
- Manage information on missions, holidays, leave and absence records
- Photocopying documents and binding of reports
- Attend to any other assignment as and when required by the Head of Cooperation.
under the supervision and responsibility of the relevant head of section.
Working environment and conditions:
Place of employment: Lusaka, Zambia
Starting basic salary (gross): 18,372 ZMW
Total Working hours per week: 37.5
We offer a competitive position in an international environment. Benefits, such as additional pension scheme, housing allowance and medical insurance, are offered to employees and their families under certain conditions.
- Medically fit to perform the required duties;
- Enjoys civil rights and permits for employment under local law;
- Has a satisfactory knowledge of English;
- Education and training: Bachelor Degree
- Professional experience: 5 years secretarial experience in administrative management
- Demonstrated good computer skills including experience with MS Office Suite, especially with Excel and Word
The following will be considered an asset:
- Experience in similar position with an International Organisation or Diplomatic mission.
- Knowledge of French
We look for a candidate who is a self-starter, motivated, able to work under pressure, able to work alone with minimal supervision and in a team, respects deadlines, is committed to assure quality, speed and attention to details in performing duties, shows initiative and responsibility, able to deal with stress situations, is pro-active, flexible and discreet.
The successful candidate should have:
- Solid administration/secretarial knowledge
How to apply
Description of a selection procedure, for example evaluation of applications, interviews with shortlisted candidates, written tests, etc.
The Delegation will not supply additional information or discuss the selection procedure by telephone: please address any queries concerning this procedure to functional mailbox highlighted below.
How to apply
Please send your application and supporting documents by e-mail to:
Mentioning in the subject line: "Vacancy: Secretary – Head of Cooperation Section"
The application message should include a cover letter, a detailed CV in English and in the local agent CV model (attached to the job description) only with traceable relevant business referees and scanned copy of relevant qualifications (educational and working experience).
After the deadline for applications, the applications will be reviewed by a Selection Committee set up for this purpose. The Selection Committee will prepare a short-list of candidates who are considered to be the most suitable for the post on the basis of a preliminary assessment of the information provided in their application letter and the supporting documents. The short-listed candidates will be invited to an assessment phase which includes an interview and written test – during this phase, the Selection Committee will assess the suitability of the candidates for the post.
The candidates who have not been short-listed will not be contacted individually; however, the Delegation will use the same means of publication as for this Vacancy Notice to inform the remaining candidates once the recruitment procedure has been completed and that a candidate has (or has not) been recruited.
The selected candidate should be able to provide the original documents of the required educational and professional experience.
The Delegation will not supply additional information or discuss the selection procedure by telephone.
Please address any queries concerning this procedure to:
The deadline for applications is 19/11/2021 at 17:00 hrs
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
- Interested parties that do not fulfil the minimum requirements should NOT apply.