Contract Agent FGIV – Job title: Libya desk
The European External Action Service (EEAS) supports the work of the High Representative in defining and implementing an effective and coherent EU foreign policy. The EEAS supports his tasks of conducting the EU's Common Foreign and Security Policy and chairing the Foreign Affairs Council. It also supports the High Representative in his capacity as Vice President of the Commission with regard to his responsibilities within the Commission in the external relations field including the coordination of other aspects of the EU's external action. The EEAS works in close cooperation with Member States, the Council and relevant services of the European Commission.
We are a dynamic and inspiring Division of 13 people responsible for the management of the relations with Maghreb (Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia and Libya as well as matters relating to regional cooperation within the Maghreb). We monitor political developments in the region, carry out policy analysis and formulate new policy initiatives. We ensure the coherence of policies and instruments, coordinating with the other European institutions as well as with international partners and international organisations. In liaison with the Commission and the EU Delegations, we contribute to multiannual programming of development cooperation with the Maghreb countries.
The position of the co-desk Libya- contract agent FGIV as per article 3b of the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants of the European Union (CEOS).
Place of employment: EEAS Headquarters, Brussels, Belgium
Post available: 16/08/2022
We look for
A highly motivated colleague who, under the authority of the Head of Division and Deputy Head of Division, will work on Libya within a team of three co-desks. The colleague will also have to be ready to contribute to other horizontal tasks. A post in the Division offers the motivated colleague, who is willing to make the required degree of personal investment, the opportunity to develop a large variety of knowledges and skills within a demanding but intellectually rewording environment.
Key job components:
- Monitoring and analysis of political, security and economic developments in Libya as well as related developments in relations with other countries in the MENA region and globally. Relations with the Mediterranean countries, Maghreb, Sahel and other African countries, as well as Gulf countries are of particular importance;
- Contributing to policy formulation in all relevant areas, including economic, migration and CSDP aspects;
- Contributing to the implementation of the EU policy on Libya;
- Prepare high/senior level meetings and parliamentary contacts;
- Coordinating with other EEAS departments and with the Commission, the Council, and the European Parliament;
- Establishing a network of contacts with the international organisations, non-governmental actors and economic representatives as well as to the extent possible national representatives and civil society;
- Contributing to the daily functioning of the Maghreb division, including preparing correspondence, draft replies to parliamentary questions, briefings for senior management and the political level, participation in staff meetings;
The position is challenging and varied, involves numerous contacts internally with other EU institutions and with external counterparts and requires sense of initiative and genuine team work spirit. The work is fast-paced within a politically complex environment, both internally within the EU and externally, and it includes crisis-response situations. The position will involve periodic missions to the region.
The vacancy is to be filled in accordance with the conditions stipulated under the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants of the European Union (CEOS). 1
The successful candidate will be offered a contract agent position (Function group IV); renewable contract for a maximum duration of 6 years (with a valid CAST exam).
Candidates for this contract agent IV post should:
- (i) have passed a valid EPSO CAST in FG IV;
- or (ii) be registered in the EPSO Permanent CAST in FG IV https://epso.europa.eu/apply/job-offers_en?keyword=&contract=37&grade=All&institution=101&location=All
- have completed university studies of at least three years attested by a diploma;
- have the capacity to work in languages of CFSP and external relations necessary for the performance of their duties. Knowledge of other EU languages would be an asset;
- be a national of one of the Member States of the European Union and enjoy full rights as a citizen.
- have ability to maintain diplomatic relations and to ensure representation and
- communication in a complex, multicultural environment;
- have capacity to create constructive working relations in the field of external relations with national authorities, international organisations and EU Member States;
- have strong drafting and analytical skills combined with sound judgement;
- have knowledge of external relations, internal policies and functioning of the Union;
- have excellent communication skills and the ability to establish and maintain a network of contacts both within and outside the EEAS;
- have the ability to communicate clearly on complex issues and the capacity to perform with accuracy and in a flexible manner a diversity of tasks in a complex institutional environment;
- have strong service attitude;
- be fluent in English and in French (both orally and in writing);
- have geographical knowledge and/or experience of the EU South Neighbourhood;
- be a flexible team player.
- have experience of negotiations
- have experience of preparation and participation in high level events;
- have experience and knowledge of CFSP and CSDP-related issues as well as crisis response.
- have knowledge and/ or proven experience in the key areas of programming and project management
- experience of working in a team in multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural environment;
- experience in working with or within other EU institutions
- knowledge of Arabic
would be considered as strong assets.
Specific conditions of employment
The signature of the contract will be subject to prior favourable opinion of the Medical Service.
The successful candidate might be required to undergo security vetting if she or he does not hold already a Personal Security Clearance to an appropriate level, in accordance with relevant security provisions.
The EEAS is committed to an equal opportunities policy for all its employees and applicants for employment. As an employer, the EEAS is committed to promoting gender equality and to preventing discrimination on any grounds. It actively welcomes applications from all qualified candidates from diverse backgrounds and from the broadest possible geographical basis amongst the EU Member States. We aim at a service which is truly representative of society, where each staff member feels respected, is able to give their best and can develop their full potential.
Candidates with disabilities are invited to contact CONTRACTAGENTS-HQ@eeas.europa.eu in order to accommodate any special needs and provide assistance to ensure the possibility to pass the selection procedure in equality of opportunities with other candidates. If a candidate with a disability is selected for a vacant post, the EEAS is committed to providing reasonable accommodation in accordance with Art 1d.4 of the Staff Regulations.
Application and selection procedure 2
Please send your CV and cover letter (with your EPSO CAST number) via email to MAGHREB@eeas.europa.eu
Deadline for sending application: 01/07/2022 at 12.00 (CET).
Candidates shall draft their CV following the European CV form which can be found at the following internet address: http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/en/documents/curriculum-vitae.
Late applications will not be accepted.
The selection panel will make a pre-selection on the basis of the qualifications and professional experience described in the CV and motivational letter, and will produce a shortlist of eligible candidates who best meet the selection criteria for the post. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be informed about the outcome of the pre-selection phase.
The candidates who have been preselected will be invited for an interview by a selection panel. The panel will recommend a shortlist of candidates for a final decision by the Authority Empowered to Conclude Contracts of Employment. The Authority may decide to interview the candidates on the final shortlist before taking this decision.
1. Staff Regulations of Officials (SR) and the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants of the European Union (CEOS). For reference, see https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?qid=1570023902133&uri=CELEX:01962R0031-20190101
2. Your personal data will be processed in accordance with Regulation (EU) 2018/1725, as implemented by ADMIN(2019)8 Decision of the High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy. The privacy statement is available on the Europa website: (http://eeas.europa.eu/data_protection/rights/index_en.htm) and on the EEAS Intranet: (https://intranet.eeas.europa.eu/page/eeas-work/data-protection/privacy-statements).