Contract Agent FGIV – Job title: Policy officer - Regional Affairs Division (Americas.1)
The European External Action Service (EEAS) supports the work of the High Representative in defining and implementing an effective and coherent EU foreign policy. The EEAS supports his tasks of conducting the EU's Common Foreign and Security Policy and chairing the Foreign Affairs Council. It also supports the High Representative in his capacity as Vice President of the Commission with regard to his responsibilities within the Commission in the external relations field including the coordination of other aspects of the EU's external action. The EEAS works in close cooperation with Member States, the Council and relevant services of the European Commission.
The Americas Regional Affairs Division (AMERICAS.1) is responsible for the coordination of EU relations with Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC) at regional and thematic level. This includes relations with regional organisations and groups, such as the Community of Latin American and Caribbean countries (CELAC), the Organisation of American States (OAS), the Pacific Alliance and the Ibero-American Summit process. In close coordination with DG INTPA, the division is leading efforts to define and implement a forward-looking, comprehensive, and positive agenda for a qualitative leap in the EU’s relations with LAC. This agenda aims to prepare the ground for the organisation of a fully-fledged bi-regional Summit in 2023.
The tasks of the division include the provision of expert input and coordination of thematic cooperation with LAC (in priority areas such as the green and digital transitions; human development, including the fight against inequalities, education; citizen security and the fight against transnational crime; migration; democracy and human rights and gender issues). The division also coordinates the Americas input on topical issues such as vaccines/COVID-19 or the impact of Russia’s aggression against Ukraine, and carries out horizontal tasks for the Americas department such as the relations with the European Parliament, election observation issues and briefings having a horizontal/regional content. In close cooperation with DG INTPA, the division was responsible for coordinating MD Americas contribution to the programming process and the elaboration of the Americas Regional Multiannual Indicative Programme (MIP) under Global Europe -NDICI (Neighbourhood, Development and International Cooperation Instrument, 2021-27) and will closely follow its implementation. In addition, the division supports the work of the COLAC Chair.
the position of Policy Officer - contract agent FGIV as per article 3b of the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants of the European Union (CEOS) - in the Americas Regional Division (AMERICAS.1).
We offer a dynamic and friendly working environment and our team deals with a varied and challenging portfolio, contributing to the overall work of the Americas Department. Under the authority of the Head of Division Americas.1, the Policy Officer is expected to perform the following functions and tasks:
- coordinate MD Americas input and closely follow the implementation of NDICI-Global Europe, with focus on the regional MIP, including Team Europe Initiatives (TEIs) as well as EFSD+;
- coordinate MD Americas contribution and closely follow the Global Gateway strategy and investment package for LAC, in close cooperation with DG INTPA;
- coordinate MD Americas contribution and closely follow the Development in Transition facility and other programmes/instruments;
- manage the EU-LAC Policy Dialogue Support Facility (PDSF) together with FPI colleagues;
- contribute to the daily functioning of the division, including by drafting briefings, reports, policy documents, political level correspondence, as well as replies to parliamentary questions, and participate in staff meetings;
- maintain close contact and build constructive working relations with relevant services within the EEAS, the European Commission as well as Council and Parliament;
- build good relations with relevant external stakeholders;
- at division level, cooperate closely with other policy officers and team members and ensure effective back-up within the division as required;
- Carry out any other tasks within the division’s remit that may be assigned by the Head of Division in line with emerging needs;
We look for
A dynamic, proactive and highly motivated colleague with strong team spirit. The candidate should have excellent coordination, analytical and drafting skills as well as proven experience in the field of international cooperation and a good understanding of EU policy and decision-making processes and inter-institutional relations. Experience of working with Latin America and the Caribbean would be a strong asset.
The vacancy is to be filled in accordance with the conditions stipulated under the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants of the European Union (CEOS). 1
The successful candidate will be offered a contract agent position (Function group IV); renewable contract for a maximum duration of 6 years (with a valid CAST exam).
Candidates for this contract agent IV post should:
- (i) have passed a valid EPSO CAST in FG IV or (ii) be registered in the EPSO Permanent CAST in FG IV https://epso.europa.eu/apply/job-offers_en?keyword=&contract=37&grade=All&institution=101&location=All
- have completed university studies of at least three years attested by a diploma;
- have the capacity to work in languages of CFSP and external relations necessary for the performance of their duties. Knowledge of other EU languages would be an asset;
- be a national of one of the Member States of the European Union and enjoy full rights as a citizen.
Candidates should have:
A. Professional experience
- Proven track record in international cooperation;
- Experience of working in EU institutions would be a strong asset;
- Knowledge of the region and experience of working with Latin America and the Caribbean would be a strong asset.
- Excellent coordination and organisational skills;
- Ability to deliver quality results under pressure and time constraints;
- Very good drafting and reporting skills and the ability to communicate information and ideas clearly in an international diplomatic and multilingual environment;
- Solid analytical capability, rapid understanding of problems and capacity to identify issues and solutions;
- Ability to deal with a diversity of tasks in a complex, multicultural environment. Efficiency and ability to prioritize;
- Sound political judgement.
- Excellent speaking and drafting skills in English and Spanish are essential. French and/or Portuguese language skills would be a strong asset.
D. Personal Qualities
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build constructive working relations;
- Team-spirit and collaborative behaviour;
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment with a wide range of stakeholders in the EEAS, the European institutions, EU Delegations, EU Member States, diplomatic Missions, civil-society organisations, cultural organisations, think tanks and the private sector;
- Ability to adapt quickly to new situations and deal with new challenges;
- High standard of ethics and sense of public service.
Specific conditions of employment
The signature of the contract will be subject to prior favourable opinion of the Medical Service.
The successful candidate might be required to undergo security vetting if she or he does not hold already a Personal Security Clearance to an appropriate level, in accordance with relevant security provisions.
The EEAS is committed to an equal opportunities policy for all its employees and applicants for employment. As an employer, the EEAS is committed to promoting gender equality and to preventing discrimination on any grounds. It actively welcomes applications from all qualified candidates from diverse backgrounds and from the broadest possible geographical basis amongst the EU Member States. We aim at a service which is truly representative of society, where each staff member feels respected, is able to give their best and can develop their full potential.
Candidates with disabilities are invited to contact CONTRACTAGENTS-HQ@eeas.europa.eu in order to accommodate any special needs and provide assistance to ensure the possibility to pass the selection procedure in equality of opportunities with other candidates. If a candidate with a disability is selected for a vacant post, the EEAS is committed to providing reasonable accommodation in accordance with Art 1d.4 of the Staff Regulations.
Application and selection procedure2
Please send your CV and cover letter (with your EPSO CAST number) via email to AMERICASemail@example.com
Copy to: Claudia.Gintersdorfer@eeas.europa.eu
Deadline for sending application: 26/08/2022 at 12.00 (CET).
Candidates shall draft their CV following the European CV form which can be found at the following internet address: http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/en/documents/curriculum-vitae.
Late applications will not be accepted.
The selection panel will make a pre-selection on the basis of the qualifications and professional experience described in the CV and motivational letter, and will produce a shortlist of eligible candidates who best meet the selection criteria for the post. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be informed about the outcome of the pre-selection phase.
The candidates who have been preselected will be invited for an interview by a selection panel. The panel will recommend a shortlist of candidates for a final decision by the Authority Empowered to Conclude Contracts of Employment. The Authority may decide to interview the candidates on the final shortlist before taking this decision.
Place of employment: EEAS Headquarters, Brussels, Belgium
Post available: 18/07/2022
1. Staff Regulations of Officials (SR) and the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants of the European Union (CEOS). For reference, see https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?qid=1570023902133&uri=CELEX:01962R0031-20190101
2. Your personal data will be processed in accordance with Regulation (EU) 2018/1725, as implemented by ADMIN(2019)8 Decision of the High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy. The privacy statement is available on the Europa website: (http://eeas.europa.eu/data_protection/rights/index_en.htm) and on the EEAS Intranet: (https://intranet.eeas.europa.eu/page/eeas-work/data-protection/privacy-statements).