Stronger Together against COVID-19
In Europe and in the world, all minds are focused on actions to tackle the outbreak of COVID-19 and mitigate the effects of the crisis. The European Union works on all fronts to support these efforts.
To this aim, the European Union has launched its “Team Europe” package to support partner countries in the fight against the coronavirus pandemic and its consequences. The objective of the ‘Team Europe‘ approach is to combine resources from the EU, its Member States, and financial institutions, in particular the European Investment Bank and the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development.
The overall figure of the “Team Europe” package reaches almost 40 billion euros.
Beyond the EU vaccination plan, started on 27 December 2020, the European Union is committed to ensuring that everyone who needs a vaccine gets it, anywhere in the world and not only at home. The EU is one of the leading donors to support the COVAX Facility, a global collaboration aiming to secure access to the COVID-19 vaccine in low and middle-income countries. Since the first deliveries of vaccines started to take place in February 2021, the EU and Member States have sent 1.4 billion doses to more than 150 countries.
The European Commission has announced that it will also set up an EU vaccine sharing mechanism to structure the provision of vaccines shared by Member States with partner countries through a Team Europe approach.
At the same time, the Commission has started work to anticipate and tackle new variants of the virus and to rapidly develop and produce on a large-scale vaccines effective against those variants. This is why the European Commission has launched the HERA Incubator. It will bring together science, industry and public authorities, to speed up work and leverage all available resources to enable Europe to respond to this threat.
EU support - #Team Europe
Messages from HR/VP Josep Borrell
Fighting disinformation about COVID-19
Consular Support & Repatriation - #WeTakeYouHome
From the EEAS
- #UnitedInDistance – Stories of solidarity in the time of Coronavirus
- EEAS website on consular crisis management
From other institutions
- EU Coronavirus response website (European Commission)
- EU Coronavirus vaccines strategy
- Recovery from Coronavirus: sucess stories
- Building a European Health Union
- European Commission: Coronavirus Global Response - International Pledging Event
- The EU response to the Coronavirus crisis - Factsheet
- European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control - EDCD
- EU Common Coronavirus response
- Commission website on consular protection for EU citizens abroad
- Council's website on consular protection
- African Union, Africa CDC Outbreak update (link is external)
- WHO World Health Organization (link is external)
- COVID-19 (Council)
- Engage.eu: information around Coronavirus for ASEAN countries (link is external)