EEAS Call for Expression of interest for the establishment of a reserve list for future possible recruitments as contract agents as per article 3b of the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants (CEOS)
The European External Action Service (EEAS) supports the work of the High Representative in defining and implementing an effective and coherent EU foreign policy. The EEAS supports his tasks of conducting the EU's Common Foreign and Security Policy and chairing the Foreign Affairs Council. It also supports the High Representative in his capacity as Vice President of the Commission with regard to his responsibilities within the Commission in the external relations field including the coordination of other aspects of the EU's external action. The EEAS works in close cooperation with Member States, the Council and relevant services of the European Commission.
Through this call for expression of interest, the EEAS will establish a reserve list for future vacancies in three fields: (1) Accounting and Budget, (2) Public Procurement and (3) Finance and Contracts assistant - contract agent FG.III as per article 3b of the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants of the European Union (CEOS). A candidate may apply for one or more fields. Candidates must make their choice when they apply and will not be able to make any changes after the deadline for applications.
These vacancies at the EEAS Headquarters in Brussels may be available in the central divisions within the EEAS in charge of budget, accounting or public procurement, contracts and finance or in the operational divisions responsible for the implementation of the
We look for
Dynamic, proactive and highly motivated colleagues with very good communication and organisational skills and with a developed sense of service.
The successful candidates will be entrusted with the following tasks, among others:
Field (1) – Accounting and Budget
- Ensure the regularity and legality of transactions, including the use of imprest accounts;
- Provide support in particular in relation to the use of ABAC and any other tools developed for the accounting needs;
- Follow-up of non-budgetary transactions;
- Coordinate with DG BUDGET of the European Commission for all the procedures linked to the Budget of the EEAS;
- Monitor the budget consumption and, where necessary, request explanations of variances;
- Contribute to the preparation of briefing notes, reporting of budget consumption and accounting statements.
Field (2) - Public Procurement
- Analyse the operational needs, translate them into procurement documents, prepare and run of procurement procedures subject to the Public Procurement Directive;
- Act as the focal point for a number of horizontal tasks such as the preparation/update of templates, standard documents and guides relating to procurement, including for (very)low and middle-value contracts or any other manual on procedures;
- Provide support in particular in relation to the use of ABAC and any other tools developed for procurement procedures and contracts.
Field (3) Finance and Contracts
- Initiate and/or verify financial transactions: legal and budgetary commitments, invoices, payments, recovery orders;
- Contribute to the preparation, running or verification of procurement procedures below the thresholds in the European Directive on Public Procurement;
- Contribute to the management of the public contracts or other contractual agreements (Service Level Agreement, Memorandum of Understanding, etc.);
- Ensure the regularity and legality of financial transactions, including the use of imprest accounts;
- Provide support in particular in relation to the use of ABAC and any other tools developed for the accounting needs or on procurement procedures;
- Monitor the budget consumption and, where necessary, provide explanations of variances.
The future vacancies will to be filled in accordance with the conditions stipulated under the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants of the European Union (CEOS)1.
The successful candidates will be registered in a reserve list. When a position becomes available, one of the candidates in the reserve list may be offered a contract agent position (Function group III); renewable contract for a maximum duration of six years (with a valid CAST exam).
It is recalled, that if the interest of the service so requires, the selection procedures can be terminated at any stage.
Candidates for these contract agent III posts should:
- (i) have passed a valid EPSO CAST in a valid FG for this post
- or (ii) be registered in the EPSO Permanent CAST in a valid FG for this post https://epso.europa.eu/apply/job-offers_en?keyword=&contract=37&grade=All&institution=101&location=All
- have a level of post-secondary education attested by a diploma or a level of secondary education attested by a diploma giving access to post-secondary education and appropriate professional experience of three year;
- have the capacity to work in languages of CFSP and external relations necessary for the performance of their duties. Knowledge of other EU languages would be an asset;
- Be a national of one of the Member States of the European Union and enjoy full rights as a citizen.
Candidates should have:
- experience in working in a team in a multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural environment and be flexible team players;
- excellent communication skills in English and French (at least C1 for one and B2 for the other);
- the capacity to perform with accuracy and in a flexible manner a diversity of tasks in a complex institutional environment;
- a "client oriented approach" and strong organisational and prioritising skills.
In addition, candidates should have:
Field (1) – Accounting and Budget
- a strong proven experience in budget and accounting;
- strong analytical skills combined with sound judgement;
- experience and advanced knowledge of MS Excel.
Field (2) Public Procurement
- a strong proven experience in public procurement;
- strong drafting and analytical skills combined with sound judgement;
- legal background;
- proven experience in public procurement for works
- proficiency in Spanish or Portuguese
- will be considered as additional assets.
Field (3) – Finance and Contracts
- strong proven experience in the initiation or verification of financial transactions;
- strong analytical skills combined with sound financial judgement;
- experience and advanced knowledge of MS Excel.
Specific conditions of employment
The signature of the contract will be subject to prior favourable opinion of the Medical Service. The successful candidate might be required to undergo security vetting if she or he does not hold already a Personal Security Clearance to an appropriate level, in accordance with relevant security provisions.
The EEAS is committed to an equal opportunities policy for all its employees and applicants for employment. As an employer, the EEAS is committed to promoting gender equality and to preventing discrimination on any grounds. It actively welcomes applications from all qualified candidates from diverse backgrounds and from the broadest possible geographical basis amongst the EU Member States. We aim at a service, which is truly representative of society, where each staff member feels respected, is able to give their best and can develop their full potential.
Candidates with disabilities are invited to contact CONTRACTAGENTS-HQ@eeas.europa.eu in order to accommodate any special needs and provide assistance to ensure the possibility to pass the selection procedure in equality of opportunities with other candidates. If a candidate with a disability is selected for a vacant post, the EEAS is committed to providing reasonable accommodation in accordance with Article 1d.4 of the Staff Regulations.
Application and selection procedure2
Please send your CV and motivation letter (with your EPSO CAST number) via e-mail to CONTRACTAGENTS-HQ@eeas.europa.eu. In the letter, the candidate shall identify precisely the field(s) for which (s)he applies.
Deadline for applications: 30 September 2022 at 12.00 (CET).
Candidates shall draft their CV following the European CV form which can be found at the following internet address: http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/en/documents/curriculum-vitae.
Late applications will not be accepted.
The selection panel will make a pre-selection for each field on the basis of the qualifications and professional experience described in the CV and motivation letter, and will produce a shortlist of eligible candidates who best meet the selection criteria for the post. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be informed about the outcome of the pre-selection phase.
The candidates who have been preselected will be invited for an interview by a selection panel. The panel will recommend a shortlist of candidates for each field for a final decision by the Authority Authorised to Conclude Contracts of Employment. The Authority may decide to interview the candidates on the final shortlist before taking this decision.
Place of employment: EEAS Headquarters, Brussels, Belgium
- Field (1) Accounting and Budget: 5
- Field (2) Public Procurement: 10
- Field (3) Finance and Contracts: 35
Validity of the list: 2 years
1. Staff Regulations of Officials (SR) and the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants of the European Union (CEOS). For reference, see https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?qid=1570023902133&uri=CELEX:01962R0031-20190101
2. Your personal data will be processed in accordance with Regulation (EU) 2018/1725, as implemented by ADMIN(2019)8 Decision of the High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy. The privacy statement is available on the Europa website: http://eeas.europa.eu/data_protection/rights/index_en.htm and on the EEAS Intranet: https://intranet.eeas.europa.eu/page/eeas-work/data-protection/privacy-statements.