EEAS Vacancy Notice Contract Agent FG IV – Job title: Information Systems Developer - Missions Operational Support Division, Civilian Planning and Conduct Capability (CPCC)
The European External Action Service (EEAS) supports the work of the High Representative in defining and implementing an effective and coherent EU foreign policy. The EEAS supports his tasks of conducting the EU's Common Foreign and Security Policy and chairing the Foreign Affairs Council. It also supports the High Representative in his capacity as Vice President of the Commission with regard to his responsibilities within the Commission in the external relations field including the coordination of other aspects of the EU's external action. The EEAS works in close cooperation with Member States, the Council and relevant services of the European Commission.
The Civilian Planning and Conduct Capability (CPCC) is the permanent structure supporting the Civilian Operations Commander. The Civilian Operations Commander is the overall commander at the strategic level of currently 11 civilian CSDP crisis management missions and provides strategic guidance and direction to the Heads of Mission. The Civilian Operations Commander reports directly to the High Representative for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy and through him to the Council of the EU. Under the political control and strategic direction of the Political and Security Committee and the overall authority of the High Representative, the Civilian Operations Commander ensures the effective planning and conduct of civilian CSDP crisis management operations, as well as the proper implementation of all mission-related tasks.
The Missions Operational Support Division (CPCC.4) is responsible for the digitalisation of the support functions in the CSDP Civilian Missions. The Division manages the delivery of software services and equipment to the 11 civilian CSDP Missions, ensuring that all the experts deployed abroad have the necessary equipment and tools to fulfil their mandate.
The position of Information Systems Developer – contract agent FGIV as per article 3b of the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants of the European Union (CEOS).
Place of employment: EEAS Headquarters, Brussels, Belgium
Post available: 16/11/2022
We look for:
An Information System Developer within the Mission Support Platform. The person to be recruited will work under the supervision of the Head of the Missions Operational Support Division within the CPCC. S/he is expected to perform the following tasks:
- Act as software developer to develop codes and ensure adequate security controls.
- Be responsible for the production of reports concerning CSDP software managed by the Division.
- Recommend changes and improvements to management.
- Develop policies and guidelines relevant to enhance the software maturity process.
- Identify needs and define application/database requirements.
- Develop applications and databases, prepare, organize and implement user training, troubleshoot problems and assist with change requests.
- Ensure the implementation and subsequent follow-up of a comprehensive centralised MSP across all the Missions.
- Produce the relevant documentation related to the assigned duties including schematics, procedures, user manuals and assist in the preparation of disaster recovery plans.
- Plan, design, develop and maintain complex relational databases such as MS-SQL, MySQL.
- Import and transform data from other formats into database server or other required formats.
- Test software and databases for ease of use, accuracy and bugs-free before release, ensuring their integrity.
- Administer the SQL Servers and perform the data backup procedures.
- Perform regular data checks and data quality control.
- Work closely with the Cyber security experts in the Division to enhance the cyber posture of the software developed.
- Other related tasks as directed by the Head of Division.
The vacancy is to be filled in accordance with the conditions stipulated under the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants of the European Union (CEOS). 1
The successful candidate will be offered a contract agent position (Function group IV); renewable contract for a maximum duration of 6 years (with a valid CAST exam).
Candidates for this contract agent IV post should:
- (i) have passed a valid EPSO CAST in FG IV ; or (ii) be registered in the EPSO Permanent CAST in FG IV (https://epso.europa.eu/en/job-opportunities/open-for-application)
- have completed university studies of at least three years attested by a diploma in Information and Technology field or, if justified in the interest of the service, a professional training of an equivalent level;
- have the capacity to work in languages of CFSP and external relations necessary for the performance of their duties. Knowledge of other EU languages would be an asset.
- Be a national of one of the Member States of the European Union and enjoy full rights as a citizen
- A minimum of 5 years of professional experience in web-based software/database development, design, and implementation of complex/large scale database systems and software applications;
- Extensive knowledge of .NET framework using C# and Entity framework;
- Knowledge of MVC, Web API, OWASP best practices, Web-services, Unit Testing, SOLID design principles;
- Experience in SQL server administration, data modelling, database optimisation, understanding and implementation of schemas and the ability to interpret and write complex SQL triggers, stored procedures, queries and scripts;
- Practical experience in designing web applications using all the technologies above;
- Knowledge of cyber security best practises to develop and configure secure software;
- Good understanding of reporting and search engine optimisation principles.
- Experience working on MS Azure cloud infrastructure;
- Experience working in an Agile/Scrum development process;
- Knowledge in Photoshop, Balsamiq or other visual design and wire-framing tools will be an advantage.
- Capacity to work individually and as part of a mixed team with different background in a challenging environment;
- Solid large scale project source control management skills would be an asset;
- Ability to prioritise and manage exceptionally high workloads;
- Good skills in configuration and change management process.
- Agile training or certification.
SPECIFIC CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
The signature of the contract will be subject to prior favourable opinion of the Medical Service.
The successful candidates will be required to undergo security vetting if she or he does not hold already a Personal Security Clearance to an appropriate level, in accordance with relevant security provisions.
The EEAS is committed to an equal opportunities policy for all its employees and applicants for employment. As an employer, the EEAS is committed to promoting gender equality and to preventing discrimination on any grounds. It actively welcomes applications from all qualified candidates from diverse backgrounds and from the broadest possible geographical basis amongst the EU Member States. We aim at a service which is truly representative of society, where each staff member feels respected, is able to give their best and can develop their full potential.
Candidates with disabilities are invited to contact CONTRACTAGENTS-HQ@eeas.europa.eu in order to accommodate any special needs and provide assistance to ensure the possibility to pass the selection procedure in equality of opportunities with other candidates. If a candidate with a disability is selected for a vacant post, the EEAS is committed to providing reasonable accommodation in accordance with Art 1d.4 of the Staff Regulations.
Application and selection procedure2
Please send your CV and cover letter (with your EPSO CAST number) via email to Cpcc.email@example.com
Deadline for sending application: 08/12/2022 at 12.00 (CET).
Candidates shall draft their CV following the European CV form which can be found at the following internet address: http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/en/documents/curriculum-vitae.
Late applications will not be accepted.
The selection panel will make a pre-selection on the basis of the qualifications and professional experience described in the CV and motivational letter, and will produce a shortlist of eligible candidates who best meet the selection criteria for the post. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be informed about the outcome of the pre-selection.
The candidates who have been preselected will be invited for an interview by a selection panel. The panel will recommend a shortlist of candidates for a final decision by the Authority Empowered to Conclude Contracts of Employment. The Authority may decide to interview the candidates on the final shortlist before taking this decision.
It is recalled, that if the interest of the service so requires, the selection procedures can be terminated at any stage in the interest of the service.
1. Staff Regulations of Officials (SR) and the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants of the European Union (CEOS). For reference, see https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?qid=1570023902133&uri=CELEX:01962R0031-20190101
2. Your personal data will be processed in accordance with Regulation (EU) 2018/1725, as implemented by ADMIN(2019)8 Decision of the High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy. The privacy statement is available on the Europa website: (https://www.eeas.europa.eu/eeas/eeas-privacy-statement-data-protection-notice-purpose-processing-personal-data-related-public_en) and on the EEAS Intranet:(https://intranet.eeas.europa.eu/page/eeas-work/data-protection/privacy-statements-dp-notices)