EEAS Vacancy: Notice Contract Agent FGII – Assistant to the West Africa Division - EEAS Headquarters - job n° 257278
The European External Action Service (EEAS) supports the work of the High Representative in defining and implementing an effective and coherent EU foreign policy. The EEAS supports his tasks of conducting the EU's Common Foreign and Security Policy and chairing the Foreign Affairs Council. It also supports the High Representative in his capacity as Vice President of the Commission with regard to his responsibilities within the Commission in the external relations field including the coordination of other aspects of the EU's external action. The EEAS works in close cooperation with Member States, the Council and relevant services of the European Commission.
AFRICA.3 Division is responsible for relations with the 16 countries in West Africa (Benin, Burkina Faso, Cabo Verde, Ivory Coast, The Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone and Togo), as well as with the Regional Economic Communities (RECs), i.e. the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) and the West African Economic and Monetary Union (WAEMU), also with the G5 Sahel. The Division is composed of 15 colleagues.
The position of the Assistant to the West Africa Division - contract agent FGII as per article 3b of the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants of the European Union (CEOS).
We look for
A dynamic, flexible, proactive and highly motivated colleague with good communication and proven organisational skills and with a developed sense of service. The secretary should be able to quickly adapt to new working environment and be a good team-player. The successful candidate should have good computer skills with a sound knowledge of the standard IT applications (MS office, Ares, MIPS, CISNet, e-Brief) and administrative procedures. He/she will be entrusted with the following main tasks:
- provide efficient administrative and secretarial support for the management of everyday business of the Division;
- carry out various administrative tasks such as diary-keeping, filtering telephone calls, filing and ordering supplies;
- support the Head and Deputy Head of Division in administrative arrangements relating to the selection and arrival of new staff members;
- ensure document management, record incoming and outgoing correspondence using archiving software (ARES) and manage secure documents (RESCOM) in accordance with the regulations in force; assist team members in finalising and transmitting outgoing correspondence;
- organise missions of staff using the MIPS application;
- organise meetings and events and assist in organising high level events and conferences;
- receive and accompany outside visitors, in accordance with security regulations;
- manage functional mailboxes and send requested information and documents;
- assist in the preparation and follow up to briefing files, speeches and other types of documents, notably using the relevant IT platforms (e-Brief etc.);
- Facilitate communication within the Africa Department, within the EEAS, as well as with external partners.
The vacancy is to be filled in accordance with the conditions stipulated under the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants of the European Union (CEOS). 1
Candidates for this contract agent II post should:
- (i) have passed a valid EPSO CAST in a valid FG for this post
- (ii) be registered in the EPSO Permanent CAST in a valid FG for this post https://epso.europa.eu/apply/job-offers_en?keyword=&contract=37&grade=All&institution=101&location=All
- have a level of post-secondary education attested by a diploma or a level of secondary education attested by a diploma giving access to post-secondary education and appropriate professional experience of three year;
- have the capacity to work in languages of CFSP and external relations necessary for the performance of their duties. Knowledge of other EU languages would be an asset.
- be a national of one of the Member States of the European Union and enjoy full rights as a citizen.
Candidates should have:
- proven experience in the secretarial field; experience in the field of external relations will be an asset;
- ability to be well organised and to deal with files in a timely manner;
- proven capacities of a team player with good inter-personal and communication skills;
- sound computer skills (MS Office) and good knowledge of standard administrative, workflow based IT applications (ARES, MIPS, Sysper2, e-Brief, EU-Learn, CIS-Net, e-Greffe, RESCOM) and administrative procedures.
- ability to perform multiple tasks and adjust to changing priorities and respect deadlines;
- a good working knowledge of English and French is necessary.
- experience of working in a team in multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural environment;
- experience in working with or within other EU institutions or EU Delegations
would be considered as assets.
Specific conditions of employment
The signature of the contract will be subject to prior favourable opinion of the Medical Service. The successful candidate might be required to undergo security vetting if she or he does not hold already a Personal Security Clearance to an appropriate level, in accordance with relevant security provisions.
The External Action Service applies an equal opportunities policy.
Application and selection procedure2
Please send your CV and cover letter in English or French (with your EPSO CAST number) via email to:
Deadline for sending application: 4th February, 2022 at midday (CET).
Candidates shall draft their CV following the European CV form which can be found at the following internet address:http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/en/documents/curriculum-vitae.
Late applications will not be accepted.
The selection panel will make a pre-selection on the basis of the qualifications and professional experience described in the CV and motivational letter, and will produce a shortlist of eligible candidates who best meet the selection criteria for the post.
The candidates who have been preselected will be invited for an interview by a selection panel. The panel will recommend a shortlist of candidates for a final decision by the Authority Empowered to Conclude Contracts of Employment. The Authority may decide to interview the candidates on the final shortlist before taking this decision.
Place of employment: EEAS Headquarters, Brussels, Belgium
Post available: 1st March, 2022
1 Staff Regulations of Officials (SR) and the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants of the European Union (CEOS). For reference, see https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?qid=1570023902133&uri=CELEX:01962R0031-20190101
2 Your personal data will be processed in accordance with Regulation (EU) 2018/1725, as implemented by ADMIN(2019)8 Decision of the High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy. The privacy statement is available on the Europa website: (http://eeas.europa.eu/data_protection/rights/index_en.htm) and on the EEAS Intranet: (https://intranet.eeas.europa.eu/page/eeas-work/data-protection/privacy-statements).