EEAS Vacancy Notice: Contract Agent FGIV – Desk Officer Ukraine - EEAS Headquarters, EURCA.2 - job n° 330802
The European External Action Service (EEAS) supports the work of the High Representative in defining and implementing an effective and coherent EU foreign policy. The EEAS supports his tasks of conducting the EU's Common Foreign and Security Policy and chairing the Foreign Affairs Council. It also supports the High Representative in his capacity as Vice President of the Commission with regard to his responsibilities within the Commission in the external relations field including the coordination of other aspects of the EU's external action. The EEAS works in close cooperation with Member States, the Council and relevant services of the European Commission.
The Eastern Partnership bilateral relations Division, EURCA.2, in the Directorate for Russia, Eastern Partnership, Central Asia and OSCE, covers EU bilateral relations with the six Eastern Partnership countries: Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, the Republic of Moldova and Ukraine. The Eastern Partnership bilateral division covers some of the EU's most dynamic and politically sensitive third country relationships; relationships where the EU delivers considerable foreign policy added value.
The position of the desk officer Ukraine in the Eastern Partnership bilateral relations Division in the Ukraine team - contract agent FGIV as per article 3b of the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants of the European Union (CEOS).
We look for
We are looking for a strong candidate who has solid experience and a strong interest in issues of relevance to the Eastern Partnership and in EU-Ukraine relations. The candidate should have a strong strategic sense, sound political judgement, and a high degree of analytical skills, with a capacity to grasp complex issues. He/she should also have excellent drafting skills, being able to deliver high quality, precise work under pressure; have excellent communication skills, oral as well as written; have networking skills; be able to cope with a consistently high workload and willing to travel.
The vacancy is to be filled in accordance with the conditions stipulated under the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants of the European Union (CEOS).1
The successful candidate will be offered a contract agent position (Function group IV); renewable contract for a maximum duration of 6 years (with a valid CAST exam).
Candidates for this contract agent IV post should:
- (i) have passed a valid EPSO CAST in FG IV;
- (ii) be registered in the EPSO Permanent CAST in FG IV https://epso.europa.eu/apply/job-offers_en?keyword=&contract=37&grade=All&institution=101&location=All
- have completed university studies of at least three years attested by a diploma;
- have the capacity to work in languages of CFSP and external relations necessary for the performance of their duties. Knowledge of other EU languages would be an asset;
- be a national of one of the Member States of the European Union and enjoy full rights as a citizen.
- have an excellent ability to maintain diplomatic relations and to ensure representation, communication in a complex, multicultural environment;
- have an excellent capacity to create constructive working relations with national authorities, international organisations and EU Member States;
- have strong drafting, communication and analytical skills combined with sound judgement;
- have excellent knowledge of external relations, internal policies and functioning of the Union;
- have a good knowledge of the Eastern Partnership and European Neighbourhood Policy;
- have experience and knowledge of CFSP and CSDP-related issues, including conflict related situations;
- have good knowledge of the external dimension of EU internal sectoral policies;
- be a flexible team player; candidates should be comfortable working independently within a team, and ready to take on other duties within the team at short notice and on a temporary basis;
- have good understanding of EU institutions;
- have experience in working with press and media matters;
- have excellent English drafting skills.
- experience of working in a team in multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural environment;
- practical experience with good governance, conflict prevention and resolution issues, as well as economic issues; democracy promotion and experience of financial assistance;
- working knowledge of Russian or Ukrainian
- experience of working in a Delegation;
would be considered strong assets.
Specific conditions of employment
The signature of the contract will be subject to prior favourable opinion of the Medical Service.
The successful candidate might be required to undergo security vetting if she or he does not hold already a Personal Security Clearance to an appropriate level, in accordance with relevant security provisions. 3
The EEAS is committed to an equal opportunities policy for all its employees and applicants for employment. As an employer, the EEAS is committed to promoting gender equality and to preventing discrimination on any grounds. It actively welcomes applications from all qualified candidates from diverse backgrounds and from the broadest possible geographical basis amongst the EU Member States. We aim at a service which is truly representative of society, where each staff member feels respected, is able to give their best and can develop their full potential.
Candidates with disabilities are invited to contact CONTRACTAGENTS-HQ@eeas.europa.eu in order to accommodate any special needs and provide assistance to ensure the possibility to pass the selection procedure in equality of opportunities with other candidates. If a candidate with a disability is selected for a vacant post, the EEAS is committed to providing reasonable accommodation in accordance with Art 1d.4 of the Staff Regulations.
Application and selection procedure2
Please send your CV and cover letter (with your EPSO CAST number) via email
Deadline for sending application: 14 December 2021 at 18.00 (CET).
Candidates shall draft their CV following the European CV form which can be found at the following internet address:http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/en/documents/curriculum-vitae.
Late applications will not be accepted.
The selection panel will make a pre-selection on the basis of the qualifications and professional experience described in the CV and motivational letter, and will produce a shortlist of eligible candidates who best meet the selection criteria for the post. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be informed about the outcome of the pre-selection phase.
The candidates who have been preselected will be invited for an interview by a selection panel. The panel will recommend a shortlist of candidates for a final decision by the Authority Empowered to Conclude Contracts of Employment. The Authority may decide to interview the candidates on the final shortlist before taking this decision.
Place of employment: EEAS Headquarters, Brussels, Belgium
Post available: 16/12/2021
1Staff Regulations of Officials (SR) and the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants of the European Union (CEOS). For reference, see https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?qid=1570023902133&uri=CELEX:01962R0031-20190101
2 Your personal data will be processed in accordance with Regulation (EU) 2018/1725, as implemented by ADMIN(2019)8 Decision of the High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy. The privacy statement is available on the Europa website: (http://eeas.europa.eu/data_protection/rights/index_en.htm) and on the EEAS Intranet: (https://intranet.eeas.europa.eu/page/eeas-work/data-protection/privacy-statements).