EEAS Vacancy Notice Contract Agent FGIV – Job title: Policy officer - Communication and Administration
The European External Action Service (EEAS) supports the work of the High Representative in defining and implementing an effective and coherent EU foreign policy. The EEAS supports his tasks of conducting the EU's Common Foreign and Security Policy and chairing the Foreign Affairs Council. It also supports the High Representative in his capacity as Vice President of the Commission with regard to his responsibilities within the Commission in the external relations field including the coordination of other aspects of the EU's external action. The EEAS works in close cooperation with Member States, the Council and relevant services of the European Commission.
The ambassador level EU Senior Coordinator’s Office oversees the implementation of the EU Coordinated Maritime Presences (CMP) concept in the North West Indian Ocean, focusing on enhancing maritime security in the strategically critical region, and thus supporting the implementation of strategies and policies such as the EU Indo-Pacific regional strategy, Horn of Africa Strategy and Gulf Strategy. The Office of the EU Senior Coordinator consist of the EU Senior Coordinator, a SNE Security Advisor and a SNE Political Advisor. The Office is working as a team, covering each other’s duties if needed, although having each their own specific portfolios.
The EU Senior Coordinator and the EU Special Envoy report directly to the Managing Director Asia-Pacific. The EU Special Envoy for the Indo Pacific is supported by colleagues in the Asia-Pacific Regional Affairs, ASEM and Indo-Pacific Division – ASIAPAC.1. The contract agent will also support in some cases, if needed, colleagues in the ASIAPAC.1 Division.
The position of Policy Officer-Communication and Administration - Contract Agent FGIV as per article 3b of the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants of the European Union (CEOS).
Place of employment: EEAS Headquarters, Brussels, Belgium
Post available: immediately
Functions and Duties:
Under the authority of the EU Senior Coordinator (Ambassador) for the Maritime Security in the North Western Indian Ocean, the tasks of the Contract Agent FGIV Communication and Administration Officer are to:
- Report to the Senior Coordinator (Ambassador) for the Maritime Security in the North West Indian Ocean (NWIO). Support both the Security Advisor and Political Advisor.
- Be in charge of communication, administration and logistical support of the Office of the EU Senior Coordinator.
- Contribute to the EU Senior Coordinator’s strategic communication planning and implementation.
- Contribute to the visibility and outreach efforts related to the implementation of the Coordinated Maritime Presences (CMP) concept in the North Western Indian Ocean.
- Follow-up to all relevant counter parts’ media and social media updates, and report any findings to the EU Senior Coordinator.
- In line with the strategic communication plan, update the EU Senior Coordinators’ engagement plan, and organise the meetings. If needed, make a read-out or report of the meetings.
- Work on the EU Senior Coordinator’s mission planning and prepare all EU SC office missions, including the MIPS processes, PREC funded missions, and ensures missions are finished properly both in MIPS and report wise.
- Administrative duties include keeping up Office’s calendars, preparing meetings, following up SECEM and ARES tasking and responding, ensuring office telephones are functional, and taking care of the office premises.
In particular, the Communication and Administration Officer will be in charge of EU Senior Coordinator’s social media and media communications, including publishing, and internal coordination with all relevant EEAS and EU actors, and ensuring EU Delegations have relevant communication information at their disposal.
In supporting the Special Envoy for the Indo-Pacific, the Contract Agent will:
- Be responsible for the Special Envoy’s mission planning and preparation, including the MIPS processes, PREC funded missions, and ensures missions are finished properly both in MIPS and report wise.
- Provide all necessary logistic and administrative support to the Special Envoy including calendar, telephone, visitors etc.
We look for
The European External Action Service (EEAS) is seeking a dynamic, proactive and highly motivated colleague with strong analytical and networking skills to occupy the post of Contract Agent FGIV.
The candidate should have an understanding of EU policy-making and decision-making processes, and inter-institutional relations, and have a good understanding on EU administration, as well as have relevant experience in the proposed areas. The candidate will be working in a friendly and dynamic environment and contribute to the work of EU Senior Coordinator for the Maritime Security in North Western Indian Ocean and to the Special Envoy for the Indo-Pacific. He/she will have to work in an international and multicultural environment in close synergy with Member States and EU institutions.
The vacancy is to be filled in accordance with the conditions stipulated under the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants of the European Union (CEOS).1
The successful candidate will be offered a contract agent position (Function group IV); renewable contract for a maximum duration of 6 years (with a valid CAST exam).
Candidates for this contract agent IV post should:
- (i) have passed a valid EPSO CAST in FG IV or (ii) be registered in the EPSO Permanent CAST in FG IV (https://epso.europa.eu/en/job-opportunities/open-for-application)
- have completed university studies of at least three years attested by a diploma;
- have the capacity to work in languages of CFSP and external relations necessary for the performance of their duties. Knowledge of other EU languages would be an asset;
- be a national of one of the Member States of the European Union and enjoy full rights as a citizen.
- have ability to maintain diplomatic relations and to ensure representation and communication in a complex, multicultural environment;
- have strong understanding of communication especially in the social media;
- have strong drafting, analytical and organisational skills combined with sound judgement;
- have knowledge of external relations, internal policies and functioning of the Union;
- have excellent communication skills and the ability to establish and maintain a network of contacts both within and outside the EEAS;
- have the ability to communicate clearly on complex issues and the capacity to perform with accuracy and in a flexible manner a diversity of tasks in a complex institutional environment;
- have proactive service attitude;
- be fluent in English (both oral and in writing),
- be a flexible team player.
- experience of working in a team in multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural environment;
- experience in working with or within other EU institutions;
- experience in communication;
- good knowledge of French
would be considered as strong assets and understanding of maritime safety and maritime security would be an advantage.
Specific conditions of employment
The signature of the contract will be subject to prior favourable opinion of the Medical Service.
The successful candidate will be required to undergo security vetting if she or he does not hold already a Personal Security Clearance to an appropriate level, in accordance with relevant security provisions.
The EEAS is committed to an equal opportunities policy for all its employees and applicants for employment. As an employer, the EEAS is committed to promoting gender equality and to preventing discrimination on any grounds. It actively welcomes applications from all qualified candidates from diverse backgrounds and from the broadest possible geographical basis amongst the EU Member States. We aim at a service which is truly representative of society, where each staff member feels respected, is able to give their best and can develop their full potential.
Candidates with disabilities are invited to contact CONTRACTAGENTS-HQ@eeas.europa.eu in order to accommodate any special needs and provide assistance to ensure the possibility to pass the selection procedure in equality of opportunities with other candidates. If a candidate with a disability is selected for a vacant post, the EEAS is committed to providing reasonable accommodation in accordance with Art 1d.4 of the Staff Regulations.
Application and selection procedure2
Deadline for sending application: 06/02/2023 at 12.00 (CET).
Candidates shall draft their CV following the European CV form which can be found at the following internet address: http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/en/documents/curriculum-vitae.
Late applications will not be accepted.
The selection panel will make a pre-selection on the basis of the qualifications and professional experience described in the CV and motivational letter, and will produce a shortlist of eligible candidates who best meet the selection criteria for the post. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be informed about the outcome of the pre-selection phase.
The candidates who have been preselected will be invited for an interview by a selection panel. The panel will recommend a shortlist of candidates for a final decision by the Authority Empowered to Conclude Contracts of Employment. The Authority may decide to interview the candidates on the final shortlist before taking this decision.
It is recalled, that if the interest of the service so requires, the selection procedures can be terminated at any stage in the interest of the service.
1. Staff Regulations of Officials (SR) and the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants of the European Union (CEOS). For reference, seehttps://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?qid=1570023902133&uri=CELEX:01962R0031-20190101
2. Your personal data will be processed in accordance with Regulation (EU) 2018/1725, as implemented by ADMIN(2019)8 Decision of the High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy. The privacy statement is available on the Europa website: (https://www.eeas.europa.eu/eeas/eeas-privacy-statement-data-protection-notice-purpose-processing-personal-data-related-public_en) and on the EEAS Intranet:(https://intranet.eeas.europa.eu/page/eeas-work/data-protection/privacy-statements-dp-notices)