EEAS Vacancy Notice - Contract Agent FGIV – Job title: Policy officer - European Diplomatic Academy
The European External Action Service (EEAS) supports the work of the High Representative in defining and implementing an effective and coherent EU foreign policy. The EEAS supports his tasks of conducting the EU's Common Foreign and Security Policy and chairing the Foreign Affairs Council. It also supports the High Representative in his capacity as Vice President of the Commission with regard to his responsibilities within the Commission in the external relations field including the coordination of other aspects of the EU's external action. The EEAS works in close cooperation with Member States, the Council and relevant services of the European Commission.
Within the Directorate for Budget and Human Resources, the Career, Learning and Development Division (RM.BHR.4) is responsible for the smooth implementation of the statutory career development policies (i.e. appraisal, promotion/reclassification, certification) and the realisation of modern and effective learning and development opportunities for staff.
The division is in charge of:
- the smooth implementation of the statutory career development policies (i.e. appraisal, promotion/reclassification, certification);
- the development of related career policies;
- modern and effective learning and development opportunities for staff;
- the annual training budgets for Delegations and Headquarter;
- the organisation of pre-posting and annual seminars for Delegation staff, and the annual Ambassadors Conference;
- support the Principal Advisor to the European Diplomatic Academy in his work towards the establishment of a European Diplomatic Academy, and implement the Pilot Project in this context.
The present number of staff in the Division is 30.
The position of the Policy officer for the European Diplomatic Academy - contract agent FGIV as per article 3b of the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants of the European Union (CEOS).
Place of employment: EEAS Headquarters, Brussels, Belgium
Post available: immediately
We look for
The European External Action Service (EEAS) is seeking a dynamic, proactive and highly motivated colleague with strong analytical and networking skills to occupy the post of Contract Agent FGIV.
The candidate should have an excellent understanding of EU policy-making and decision-making processes, and inter-institutional relations, and have a very good understanding on EU administration as well as project management, and have relevant experience in these areas. The candidate will be working in a friendly and dynamic environment and contribute to the work of Principal Advisor to the European Diplomatic Academy and the implementation of the Pilot Project towards the establishment of a European Diplomatic Academy. He/she will have to work in an international and multicultural environment in close synergy with Member States and EU institution.
S/he will carry out the following main tasks:
- Manage the pilot project towards the establishment of a European Diplomatic Academy (EDA), including management of the contracts, control and result evaluation;
- Act as contact person for the contractors implementing the feasibility study and the pilot academic programme;
- Prepare and attend the meetings of the steering committees of the above contracts, and prepare draft reports and minutes of said committees;
- Review and assess the reports and requests of payment submitted by the contractors
- Draw up reports and briefs on the project and the overall work towards the establishment of an EDA for HRVP and EEAS senior management.
- Act as a contact person with Member States, the European Commission and the European Parliament on the pilot project as well as the overall work towards the establishment of a European Diplomatic Academy.
The vacancy is to be filled in accordance with the conditions stipulated under the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants of the European Union (CEOS).1
The successful candidate will be offered a contract agent position (Function group IV); renewable contract for a maximum duration of 6 years (with a valid CAST exam).
Candidates for this contract agent IV post should:
- (i) have passed a valid EPSO CAST in FG IV; or (ii) be registered in the EPSO Permanent CAST in FG IV (https://epso.europa.eu/en/job-opportunities/open-for-application)
- have completed university studies of at least three years attested by a diploma;
- have the capacity to work in languages of CFSP and external relations necessary for the performance of their duties. Knowledge of other EU languages would be an asset;
- be a national of one of the Member States of the European Union and enjoy full rights as a citizen.
- have ability to maintain diplomatic relations and to ensure representation and communication in a complex, multicultural environment;
- have capacity to create constructive working relations with national authorities, EU institutions and EU Member States;
- proven experience of working in a university/academic institution on organisation of academic programmes, conferences, international partnerships and/or similar
- have very strong drafting and analytical skills combined with sound judgement;
- have knowledge of external relations, internal policies and functioning of the Union;
- have excellent communication skills and the ability to establish and maintain a network of contacts both within and outside the EEAS;
- have the ability to communicate clearly on complex issues and the capacity to perform with accuracy and in a flexible manner a diversity of tasks in a complex institutional environment;
- a developed sense of service;
- be fluent in English and in French (both orally and in writing);
- be a flexible team player.
- experience of working in a team in multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural environment;
- experience in working with or within other EU institutions
would be considered as strong assets.
Specific conditions of employment
The signature of the contract will be subject to prior favourable opinion of the Medical Service.
The successful candidate might be required to undergo security vetting if she or he does not hold already a Personal Security Clearance to an appropriate level, in accordance with relevant security provisions.
The EEAS is committed to an equal opportunities policy for all its employees and applicants for employment. As an employer, the EEAS is committed to promoting gender equality and to preventing discrimination on any grounds. It actively welcomes applications from all qualified candidates from diverse backgrounds and from the broadest possible geographical basis amongst the EU Member States. We aim at a service which is truly representative of society, where each staff member feels respected, is able to give their best and can develop their full potential.
Candidates with disabilities are invited to contact CONTRACTAGENTS-HQ@eeas.europa.eu in order to accommodate any special needs and provide assistance to ensure the possibility to pass the selection procedure in equality of opportunities with other candidates. If a candidate with a disability is selected for a vacant post, the EEAS is committed to providing reasonable accommodation in accordance with Art 1d.4 of the Staff Regulations.
Application and selection procedure2
Please send your CV and cover letter (with your EPSO CAST number) via email to CAREER-LEARNING-DEVELOPMENT@eeas.europa.eu
Deadline for sending application: 10/02/2023 at 12.00 (CET).
Candidates shall draft their CV following the European CV form which can be found at the following internet address: http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/en/documents/curriculum-vitae.
Late applications will not be accepted.
The selection panel will make a pre-selection on the basis of the qualifications and professional experience described in the CV and motivational letter, and will produce a shortlist of eligible candidates who best meet the selection criteria for the post. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be informed about the outcome of the pre-selection phase.
The candidates who have been preselected will be invited for an interview by a selection panel. The panel will recommend a shortlist of candidates for a final decision by the Authority Empowered to Conclude Contracts of Employment. The Authority may decide to interview the candidates on the final shortlist before taking this decision.
It is recalled, that if the interest of the service so requires, the selection procedures can be terminated at any stage in the interest of the service.
1. Staff Regulations of Officials (SR) and the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants of the European Union (CEOS). For reference, seehttps://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?qid=1570023902133&uri=CELEX:01962R0031-20190101
2. Your personal data will be processed in accordance with Regulation (EU) 2018/1725, as implemented by ADMIN(2019)8 Decision of the High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy. The privacy statement is available on the Europa website: (https://www.eeas.europa.eu/eeas/eeas-privacy-statement-data-protection-notice-purpose-processing-personal-data-related-public_en) and on the EEAS Intranet: (https://intranet.eeas.europa.eu/page/eeas-work/data-protection/privacy-statements-dp-notices)