The European Union Delegation to Zambia is looking for an: Accounts clerk
The European Union (EU) is an economic and political partnership between 27 European countries. It plays an important role in international affairs through diplomacy, trade, development aid and working with global organisations. Abroad, the EU is represented through more than 140 diplomatic representations, known also as EU Delegations, which have a similar function to those of an embassy.
The EU Delegation to the Republic of Zambia and COMESA:
- Ensures the representation of the European Union to the Republic of Zambia and the Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA);
- Ensures the follow-up of bilateral relations in the areas of political, economic, trade and external assistance cooperation (financial and technical);
- Ensures the follow-up of EU policies in all sectors;
- Promotes and defends the values and interests of the EU;
- Coordinates the work of the Member States’ Embassies, particularly in the fields of EU competences, notably trade and external assistance;
- Ensures the tasks of the EU Presidency and carries out CFSP demarches as appropriate;
- Reports back to Headquarters on all matters of interest for EU policies;
- Carries out press and public diplomacy activities in pursuit of the above;
- Ensures the multi-annual programming of aid and the management of programmes and devolved projects within the framework of the external aid instruments of the EU Budget and the European Development Fund in line with the Communication "Increasing the impact of EU Development Policy: an Agenda for Change".
We offer a post of Accounts clerk. Under this post, the recruited person will be attributed functions depending on the needs of the Delegation. Upon recruitment, the successful candidate will occupy a specific job function as Accounts clerk – this job function may be changed in accordance with the needs of the Delegation. Under this job function, the successful candidate will serve as support staff to the Head of Administration in the fulfilment of his/her tasks as regards the management of the Delegation in accordance with existing rules and regulations. He/she will provide administrative support to all sections of the Delegation under the direct supervision of the Head of Administration in executing the administrative budget and Imprest account and mainly:
Budget and Finance: ensure compliance with the Financial Regulation and other legal and regulatory requirements in the execution of the budget and in particular:
- Follow-up the execution of the authorised budget and update the relevant budget follow-up files.
- Assist in preparation of budget estimates for the Delegation's annual operating budget.
- Assist in preparation and monitoring of the financial aspects of Calls for Proposals and Calls for Tenders.
- Prepare third party and contractor files (LEF/BAF registration); participate in the contractors’ database update/management.
- Follow up the commitment budget requests in ABD+, proceed to commitment of the granted/allocated budget, proceed to de-commitment in ABAC.
- Be involved in the contracts file and contracts consumption resulting from payments.
- Execute the financial transactions: prepare and follow up the payments files, using the correct budget line/commitments, supporting documents and ensure their compliance with the regulations in force.
- Ensure the payment distribution (bank, contractors) and payments filing.
Cash Management: execute the monthly closure, ABAC registration and replenishment.
Missions: execute the purchase of tickets, insert the travel invoices in MIPS, execute the mission claims payments, and follow up the mission budget/update of the relevant mission budget files.
Provide assistance for the ex-post control requests.
Ensure correct procedures are carried out as regards local staff salaries, social security, medical expenditure, benefits, etc. and in particular:
- e-del HRM salaries monthly data verification
- e-del HRM salaries input (generate payslips)
- salaries payment file preparation and follow up
Monitoring of bank accounts (bank transactions), liaison with local bank, monthly follow up and handling of the inter-account transfers.
HB lines: use of the correct HB lines for advances, salary allowances, private and/or other costs; ensure the monthly cleaning of the entries
HR: participate in the management of Delegation staff as regards financial aspects and in particular follow up:
- the recruitment/resignation files and provide the necessary input for salary/benefits of local agents
- the removal procedures
- the rotation management (leave/arrivals)
- the take up duty travel management
Act as backup of the second accounts clerk.
Any other administrative and support tasks assigned by the Head of Administration.
Working environment and conditions:
We offer a competitive position in an international environment. Benefits, such as additional pension scheme and medical insurance, are offered to employees and their families under certain conditions.
- Place of employment: Lusaka, Zambia
- Group: III
- Starting basic salary (gross): ZMW 18,725.00
- Total Working hours per week: 37.5
We look for a candidate who is a self-starter, motivated, able to work under pressure, able to work alone with minimal supervision and in a team, respects deadlines, is committed to assure quality, speed and attention to details in performing duties, shows initiative and responsibility, able to deal with stress situations, is pro-active, flexible and discreet.
- Medically fit to perform the required duties;
- Enjoys civil rights and permits for employment under local law;
- Education and training: A minimum of a diploma or equivalent in accounting, finance or other relevant discipline.
- Professional experience: Relevant professional experience in accounting of at least three years.
- Excellent editorial skills
- Demonstrated good computer skills including experience with MS Office Suite, especially with Excel and Word
The successful candidate should have:
- Excellent command of both written and spoken English
- High sense of initiative and responsibility, commitment and integrity
- Ability to work in a team
- Dynamism and flexibility
- Ability to work and deliver under pressure and to respond quickly to new demands
- Sensitivity to diverse cultural environment
The following will be considered an asset:
- Experience of working for a development partner, international organisation or similar entity would be an advantage
- Experience with workflow-based accounting systems.
How to apply
Please send your application and supporting documents by e-mail to:
Mentioning in the subject line: "Vacancy: Accounts Clerk - Administration Section"
The application message should include a cover letter, a detailed CV in English and in the local agent CV model (attached to the job description) only with traceable relevant business referees and scanned copy of relevant qualifications (educational and working experience).
After the deadline for applications, the applications will be reviewed by a Selection Committee set up for this purpose. The Selection Committee will prepare a short-list of candidates who are considered to be the most suitable for the post on the basis of a preliminary assessment of the information provided in their application letter and the supporting documents. The short-listed candidates will be invited to an assessment phase, which includes an interview, and written test – during this phase, the Selection Committee will assess the suitability of the candidates for the post.
The candidates who have not been short-listed will not be contacted individually. However, the Delegation will use the same means of publication as for this Vacancy Notice to inform the remaining candidates once the recruitment procedure has been completed and that a candidate has (or has not) been recruited.
The selected candidate should be able to provide the original documents of the required educational and professional experience upon request.
The Delegation will not supply additional information or discuss the selection procedure by telephone.
Please address any queries concerning this procedure to:
The deadline for applications is 28/10/2022 at 17:00 hrs
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
- Interested parties that do not fulfil the minimum requirements should NOT apply.
 LEF/BAF: Legal Entity File/BAnk File – forms required for the registration of a third party in the internal accounting systems.
 ABD+: Internal database used for budget follow up.
 ABAC: Internal workflow-based accounting system.
 MIPS: Internal database for mission orders and claims.
 E-del HRM: Internal database for payroll and management of local staff.
 HB lines: Exceptional budget lines destined for advances and/or temporary expenses.