VACANCY - Local Legal Officer for the Austrian Development Agency (ADA)
The Austrian Development Agency (ADA) is the Operational Unit of the Austrian Development Cooperation (ADC). It is in charge of implementing all bilateral programmes and projects in ADC partner countries and administers its budget.
For the implementation of the EU and ADC funded project International Monitoring Operation (IMO), ADA is looking for a qualified and experienced candidate to fulfil the position of Local Legal Officer, located in Tirana.
The overall objective of the IMO is to align the Albanian justice system with the EU acquis and best international practices. The specific objective is to increase the professional quality of judges and prosecutors, reduce the impact of organised crime, politics and corruption in the delivery of justice, and enhance the integrity and accountability of judiciary institutions.
DESCRIPTION OF THE ASSIGNMENT
Under the supervision of the Chief Legal Officer, the National Legal Officer assists the International Observers in preparation of background information and undertakes legal research on a diverse range of procedural and substantive legal issues relating to the project scope of work.
EXPECTED DURATION: Until November 30, 2022
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Supports the International Observers in the re-evaluation process;
• Supports and assists the Chief Legal Officer and International Observers in meetings with the Independent Qualification Commission, the Public Commissioners and the Appeal Chamber as well as with other Albanian, foreign or international institutions;
• Supports and assists the International Observers in other vetting process;
• Studies and analyses the reports and/or documentation in all areas of re-evaluation;
• Studies, analyses and processes incoming complaints/submissions and respective documentation;
• Researches and analyses legal questions on the interpretation and application of the constitutional rules on vetting, the Vetting Law and all concerned other Albanian legal sources;
REQUIREMENTS FOR THE POSITION
• University degree in law.
• A minimum of 5 years post-degree professional experience required in a practical legal setting, preferably within the context of the prosecutor’s office or court.
• Previous working experience in a re-evaluation process is an advantage.
• Sound specific experience in drafting legal opinions and analyses, as well as in interpreting legal texts will be considered as an asset.
• Fluency in Albanian.
• Excellent written and spoken proficiency in English.
• Very good oral and written communication and presentation skills, sensitive to political environment, excellent analytical skills, pragmatic approach, strong in strategic thinking and operational planning.
• National of Albania.
SUBMISSION OF APPLICATIONS
Applications must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by 30 November 2021, indicating “Local Legal Officer” in the subject and including a Europass format CV in English language, a motivation letter, and 3 professional references with names, contacts and working relationship (at least one referee should have been your direct supervisor). Application sent after the deadline will not be taken into consideration. Only short listed candidates will be notified for personal interview.
Failure to submit an application containing all the required information and documentation within the set deadline will lead to the rejection of the application. High preference will be given to candidates with quick availability.
APPOINTMENT AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
The successful applicants selected by the recruitment committee will be employed by ADA.
For this post, the required level of clearance is Albanian SECRET (SEKRET). Candidates who currently hold a valid personnel security clearance at the above-mentioned level (or higher) may not need to obtain a new one, pending confirmation from Albanian National Security Authority (Drejtoria E Sigurimit Te Informacionit Te Klasifikuar, DSIK). In case selected candidates do not currently hold a valid security clearance at the above-mentioned level, the IMO will request such from the DSIK. In case of a failure to obtain the required personnel security clearance or if the DSIK issues a negative opinion at the above-mentioned level after the signature of the contract, ADA has the right to terminate the contract.