Vacancy Notice: CONTRACT AGENT FG II - Secretary to the Deputy Head of Delegation at the EU DELEGATION TO EGYPT - EUROPEAN EXTERNAL ACTION SERVICE (EEAS) - Post no 151698
The European External Action Service (EEAS) is the EU's diplomatic service. It helps the EU's foreign affairs chief – the High Representative for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy – carry out the Union's Common Foreign and Security Policy.
The European Union (EU) currently has 144 Delegations, eight of which are to international organisations. The EU Delegations are placed under the authority of the High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy, who is also Vice President of the European Commission. The work of a Delegation varies from country to country but, in general, covers political matters, press and information, trade, aid management and the external aspects of internal EU policies.
A position as Secretary to the Deputy Head of Delegation in Egypt
We will offer to the successful candidate a contract corresponding to a Contract Agent FG II contract, as per Article 3a of the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants of the European Union (CEOS) for an initial period of 3 years, with possibility of renewal.
WE LOOK FOR
The Secretary/Assistant will be required to provide general administrative and secretarial support as well as document management services to the Head of Delegation office.
The vacancy is to be filled in accordance with the conditions stipulated under the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants of the European Union (CEOS). 1
Further to the conditions set out in Article 82 CEOS, in order to be eligible for the post of contract agent FG II, candidates must:
- (i) have passed a valid EPSO CAST in a valid FG for this post or
- (ii) be registered in the EPSO Permanent CAST in a valid FG for this post https://epso.europa.eu/apply/joboffers_en?keyword=&contract=37&grade=All&institution=101&location=All
Candidates must meet the minimum qualifications for engagement as contract agent FG II:
- (i) Have a level of post-secondary education attested by a diploma; or
- (ii) a level of secondary education attested by a diploma giving access to post-secondary education, andappropriate professional experience of at least three years; or
- (iii) in exceptional circumstances and where justified in the interest of the service, professional training or professional experience of an equivalent level (related to the nature of the tasks and qualifications indicated in the Job Description).
- Have the capacity to work in languages of CFSP necessary for the performance of their duties;
- Be a national of one of the Member States of the European Union and enjoy full rights as a citizen.
- Proven experience as secretary/assistant;
- Good knowledge of administrative rules and procedures;
- Knowledge of filing methods and document management systems;
- Sound computer skills (Word processing, spreadsheets, presentation systems, internet and e-mail).
- Capacity to assure quality, speed and accuracy in performing a diversity of tasks in a difficult, complex, and
- multicultural environment without constant supervision;
- Ability to work under pressure and to respond quickly to new demands;
- Ability to communicate information clearly and effectively and to focus on priorities;
- Capacity to be able to work as part of a team as well as with a degree of autonomy;
- Sense of initiative, responsibility, discretion, organisation and innovation;
- Ability to deal with confidential matters professionally;
- Ability to deal helpfully and courteously with people;
- Ability to organise social events, taking into account protocol rules;
- Ability to work in a different socio-cultural environment and to adapt quickly to evolving situations;
- Ability to sustain pressure of life and work in difficult conditions.
- Ability to demonstrate high level of resilience.
- Experience in external relations, particularly related to the MENA region;
- experience in handling secure communications and classified information;
- knowledge of IT tools used in EU institutions (ARES, MIPS, Sysper2, Syslog, RUE, etc.);
- Experience of working in a team in multi-disciplinary and multicultural environment;
- Knowledge of Arabic (Modern Standard Arabic or Egyptian dialect or both)
- Knowledge of EU languages (other than EN and FR)
will be considered as assets.
The signature of the contract will be subject to prior favourable opinion of the Medical Service. On that occasion, the candidate should indicate any serious health problems or requirements for specialised medical treatment for themselves and/or for the individuals who will accompany them. If staff members withhold such information they will not benefit from a reimbursement by the institution of certain costs, e.g. expenses relating to medical evacuation, or to a return to Headquarters in the case of early rotation.
The successful candidate will be required to undergo security vetting if she or he does not hold already a Personal Security Clearance (PSC) to an appropriate level (EU SECRET), in accordance with relevant security provisions.
As a matter of policy, applications of individuals who have the dual nationality of the host country or the partner of whom has the nationality of the host country will be considered on a case-by-case basis. The EEAS examines if there could be a conflict of interest and the consequence of a possible refusal by the host country to grant diplomatic immunity to the staff member and or his/her partner and family, as well as possible security risks. The HR Department may ask for additional information from the applicant in this context.
The “Hostile Environment Awareness Training" (HEAT) is compulsory before taking up duty/going on mission in some countries. The EEAS will provide the selected candidate with that possibility in case she or he has not yet followed the training.
The successful candidate will need to fulfil relevant medical requirements for the post as appropriate, including a psychological assessment which the Authority Authorized to Conclude Contracts reserves the right to request for candidates selected notably for hardship posts (countries with 30% Living Conditions Allowance or higher).
A valid EU Digital COVID Certificate is required before taking up duty and for the entire assignment in EU Delegations especially in such hardship postings, having regard to the duty of care of the EEAS for its staff and taking account of the need to ensure appropriate health and safety standards in the country of posting.
Additionally, Domestic legislation of third countries hosting EU Delegations may at any time require, inter alia, a valid vaccination certificate in order to work or to obtain an entry visa. It is the obligation of the staff member concerned to comply with the national rules in force. Failing to do so, the Authority Authorised to Conclude Contracts may decide to withdraw its decision on the selection.
The EEAS is committed to an equal opportunities policy for all its employees and applicants for employment. As an employer, the EEAS is committed to promoting gender equality and to preventing discrimination on any grounds. It actively welcomes applications from all qualified candidates from diverse backgrounds and from the broadest possible geographical basis amongst the EU Member States. We aim at a service which is truly representative of society, where each staff member feels respected, is able to give their best and can develop their full potential.
Candidates with disabilities are invited to contact the Functional mailbox CONTRACTAGENTSDELEGATIONS@eeas.europa.eu in order to accommodate any special needs and provide assistance to ensure the possibility to pass the selection procedure in equality of opportunities with other candidates. If a candidate with a disability is selected for a vacant post, the EEAS is committed to providing reasonable accommodation in accordance with Art 1d.4 of the Staff Regulations.
Candidates are deemed to be fully aware of the local living conditions, including information concerning the accommodation, before applying. Individual post reports are available from EEAS.BA.HR.3, Rights and Obligations (RIGHTS-AND-OBLIGATIONS@eeas.europa.eu).
Candidates should ensure that they are also fully aware of the provisions of Annex X of the Staff Regulations.
Candidates are invited to draft their CV following the European CV format which can be found at the following
Internet address: http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/en/documents/curriculum-vitae and indicating clearly the EPSO application ID number
Applications (CV and motivation letters) shall be sent to the functional mailbox
with copy to
DEADLINE : The closing date for the submission of applications is 02/03/2022 at noon (CET).
Late applications will not be accepted.
Place of employment: Cairo
LCA (living conditions allowance): 30%
Post Available: 01/09/2022
 ‘Hardship postings’ are determined in accordance with Article 10(1) of Annex X of the Staff Regulations of Officials of the European Union, which requires the AA/AACC to take into account inter alia the ‘health and hospital environment’ when determining the allowance for living conditions.
 Article 1e(2) of the Staff Regulations of Officials of the European Union
 Article 41 of the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations provides: “Without prejudice to their privileges and immunities, it is the duty of all persons enjoying such privileges and immunities to respect the laws and regulations of the receiving State.”
1 Staff Regulations of Officials (SR) and the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants of the European Union (CEOS). For reference, see https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?qid=1570023902133&uri=CELEX:01962R0031-20190101
2 Your personal data will be processed in accordance with Regulation (EU) 2018/1725, as implemented by ADMIN(2019)8 Decision of the High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy. The privacy statement is available on the Europa website: (http://eeas.europa.eu/data_protection/rights/index_en.htm) and on the EEAS Intranet: (https://intranet.eeas.europa.eu/page/eeas-work/data-protection/privacy-statements).