Useful information on travelling abroad for EU citizens; as well as information on travelling and studying in the EU for citizens of ASEAN countries. 

Consular Protection

Consular Protection for EU/ Schengen citizens in ASEAN countries

Nationals of European Union (EU) and Schengen Member States in need of consular assistance in one of the 10 ASEAN countries should contact the Embassies/Consulates of their respective countries. Please consult the travel advice available on the websites of those Embassies. 

Any EU citizen in a non-EU country where his/her own national State has no representation is entitled to protection by the diplomatic or consular authorities of any other EU country. EU citizens in such a situation are entitled to protection under the same conditions as the nationals of that other EU country. 

Some EU Member States do not have a resident Embassy in ASEAN countries. Some have concluded representation agreements with another EU Member State. Please access the link below to find out which Embassy you are advised to contact. 

EU and Schengen Member States cooperate closely locally on consular protection matters through a constant exchange of information, crisis preparedness and collective action when needed in case of consular crises such as natural disasters. The EU Delegation assists actively in this cooperation. 

More info: Consular Protection 


Visa to visit the EU for citizens of ASEAN countries

If you are planning a short stay in an EU country, you may need a visa. 

Generally, a Schengen visa entitles its holder to travel throughout the 26 Schengen States for up to 90 days in any 180-day period. 

Brunei, Malaysia and Singapore passport holders can enter Schengen countries without a visa for a short stay of up to 90 days. Despite this visa exemption, travellers do not have an automatic right to enter the Schengen area. Border officials in Schengen countries may ask for other supporting documents. 

Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Myanmar, the Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam passport holders require a visa to enter the Schengen area. To apply, please check with the embassy of the EU country which will be your main destination. If it is not clear what the main destination country is, apply at the embassy of the country where you will have the longest visit. If the visits to different Schengen countries are for the same amount of time, the first destination will be the determining factor. 

A Schengen visa is not for stays longer than 90 days, or if you plan to get a job or set up a business, trade or profession.  


Erasmus+, or Erasmus Plus, is the EU-funded programme for education, training, youth and sport

Erasmus+ funds academic mobility and cooperation projects for individuals and organisations worldwide. Among them are: 

  • Erasmus Mundus Joint Master Degrees (EMJMDs) are study programmes at the master level.  Erasmus+ funds scholarships for students to take part in these programmes, covering the cost of tuition, travel and living allowance. EMJMD also supports the participation of scholars in teaching, research, etc. 
  • International Credit Mobility (ICM) supports the mobility of individuals enrolled or employed at a higher education institution, including student mobility for studies or traineeship, staff mobility for teaching or training. 
  • Capacity Building for Higher Education (CBHE) projects are aimed at modernising and reforming higher education institutions, developing curricula, improving governance and building relationships between higher education institutions and enterprises. 
  • Jean Monnet (JM) activities aim to develop EU studies worldwide by supporting Modules, Chairs and Centres of Excellence to promote excellence in teaching and research on the European integration process at the higher education level. 

More info: 

Erasmus+ EMJMD Scholarship 

Erasmus+ Programme