You are an EU citizen in Hong Kong or Macao? Learn more about your right to consular protection and how you can benefit from it in Hong Kong and Macao.

Consular protection is the help an EU Member State can provide to its citizens in case they need assistance abroad. Typically, consular protection can include cases such as:

  • A need for emergency travel documents;
  • A serious accident or serious illness;
  • Relief and repatriation in case of an emergency;
  • Being a victim of crime;
  • Arrest or detention;
  • Death.

In Hong Kong and Macao, 16 EU Member States have a resident Consulate, while 11 do not.

You are an EU citizen in need of consular protection in Hong Kong or Macao?

  • You can contact your resident Consulate or Honorary Consul able to provide consular protection.
  • If your EU Member State has no resident Consulate or Honorary Consul able to provide consular protection in Hong Kong or Macao, you can turn to another EU Member State for consular protection.

Indeed, any EU citizen abroad whose own Member State has no local representation is entitled to receive consular protection from the diplomatic or consular authorities of any other EU Member State. In that case, EU citizens are entitled to benefit from consular protection under the same conditions as the nationals of that other EU Member State.

You can find contact details of the resident EU Member States Consulates or Honorary Consuls who can provide consular protection under the Travel & Study section.

Please note that the EU Delegation in Hong Kong and Macao cannot provide direct consular assistance.

As an EU citizen, you can take simple steps to make consular protection more effective, for example:

  • Following the travel advice issued by your country’s Foreign Ministry.
  • When abroad, registering with your Embassy or Consulate and/or through dedicated platforms, if applicable.
  • Other tips include keeping an electronic copy of your travel documents, subscribing to a travel insurance or saving crisis contact details.

For more information on consular protection, see the dedicated pages on the websites of the EEAS, the European Commission and the Council of the EU.