Construction of a 220/33 kV Substation in Ifakara and 70 km Extension of Distribution Power Lines in Kilombero and Ulanga
- Construction of one power sub-station in Ifakara town along a high-voltage transmission line between Kihansi and Kidatu hydropower stations.
- Construction of 70km of medium voltage and 46km of low voltage distribution lines to rural areas of Kilombero and Ulanga districts.
- Connection of at least 1050 new customers in 8 villages of Ulanga and Kilombero districts. Electricity connections will include 990 households, 48 agricultural processing facilities and 12 public facilities (schools, offices, health centres, etc).
- Increased access to modern energy services for rural communities for productive uses and improved rural livelihoods.
- Reliable electricity in the area, thus reducing power outages and allow for a further grid extension in Kilombero and Ulanga districts.
- Limited use of private diesel/petrol generators, saving fuel costs by households and small businesses by switching to electricity.
- Improved social services.
- Opening up possibilities for investment in the project area. Stable and reliable power will enhance economic growth by opening markets for processed agricultural products including paddy, maize, bananas, sunflowers, fruit and vegetables.
- Increased TANESCO’s customer base in Kilombero and Ulanga districts.