Contract Agent FGIII – Job title: IT Service Assistant ICT – Core Infrastructure, Hosting & Datacentres
The European External Action Service (EEAS) supports the work of the High Representative in defining and implementing an effective and coherent EU foreign policy. The EEAS supports his tasks of conducting the EU's Common Foreign and Security Policy and chairing the Foreign Affairs Council. It also supports the High Representative in his capacity as Vice President of the Commission with regard to his responsibilities within the Commission in the external relations field including the coordination of other aspects of the EU's external action. The EEAS works in close cooperation with Member States, the Council and relevant services of the European Commission.
The main mission of EEAS Digital Solutions division is to assist the European External Action Service and EU’s Delegation worldwide network in achieving its strategic objectives by supporting administrative and core business processes with modern Information and Communication Technology tools. The unit is composed of 55 officials and more than 200 experts and is organized in four sections: Management, IT Operations, Services and Security.
The position of IT Service Assistant ICT – Core Infrastructure, Hosting & Datacentres in the IT Operations section, Contract Agent FGIII as per article 3b of the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants of the European Union (CEOS).
Place of employment: EEAS Headquarters, Brussels, Belgium
Post available: immediately
We look for
We look for a dynamic, proactive and highly motivated colleague with very good communication and organisational skills, a developed sense of service, as well as several years of experience in the field of system administration and operations. A colleague who wants to take a next step in her/his career and use her/his technical background to participate in the design, contracting, implementation and hand-over to operations of ICT infrastructure components. In addition, she/he should prove hands-on experience in the management of ICT infrastructure (system engineer, system administrator, network administrator).
The job is a key position for an experienced technical IT Service Assistant looking for a dynamic working environment and challenging projects within a friendly, motivated and supportive team. We offer easy access to training facilities to improve skills and to keep staff at the top of technology and methodology evolutions. Main working language is English.
He/she will be entrusted with the following main tasks:
• Act as a service owner on a list of IT Services.
• Work together with other service owners and operations to guarantee the best possible service towards our end-users.
• Align the EEAS ICT infrastructure with the EEAS business requirements.
• Proactively manage the lifecycle and drive the direction of the services that he/she is responsible for.
• Participate in defining and testing of BCP and DR procedures.
• Supervise the operational activities of the external contractors, mainly the project team.
• Act as stakeholder in various projects and see them through until the delivery in production.
• Participate in the drafting of business cases facilitating the decision making process for head of Unit/section.
• Managing and documenting the services that he/she will be responsible of (description, policies etc.).
• Contract management, negotiating, ordering, follow-up.
A proven ability to manage and co-ordinate several services simultaneously are important. Excellent oral and written command of English is essential.
The vacancy is to be filled in accordance with the conditions stipulated under the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants of the European Union (CEOS). 1
The successful candidate will be offered a contract agent position (Function group III); renewable contract for a maximum duration of 6 years (with a valid CAST exam).
Candidates for this contract agent III post should:
- (i) have passed a valid EPSO CAST in a valid FG for this post
- or (ii) be registered in the EPSO Permanent CAST in a valid FG for this post https://epso.europa.eu/en/job-opportunities/open-for-application
- have a level of post-secondary education attested by a diploma or a level of secondary education attested by a diploma giving access to post-secondary education and appropriate professional experience of three year;
- have the capacity to work in languages of CFSP and external relations necessary for the performance of their duties. Knowledge of other EU languages would be an asset.
- Be a national of one of the Member States of the European Union and enjoy full rights as a citizen.
Applicants should ideally have the following soft skills required for the job:
• Ability to work in group (team player);
• Have ability to maintain diplomatic relations and to ensure representation and communication in a complex, multicultural environment;
• have strong drafting and analytical skills combined with sound judgement;
• have the ability to communicate clearly on complex issues and the capacity to perform with accuracy and in a flexible manner a diversity of tasks in a complex institutional environment;
• have strong service attitude;
• be fluent in English (C1 level, both orally and in writing);
• be a flexible team player.
Candidates should have the following technical skills:
• Education and domain of expertise relevant to the job;
• Professional experience in at least three or more of the following domains:
- Virtualization (Hyper-V, VMware, Nutanix)
- Storage (SAN, NAS, CIFS)
- OS management (Windows 2012/2016/2019 – Linux –Redhat/CentOs)
- Active Directory, GPO's, Identity and Access Management
- Databases & reporting (MS-SQL/Oracle/MySQL)
- Microsoft Exchange
- SCCM, SCOM
- Datacenter Management (HVAC/etc…)
• Cloud services (AWS, Azure).
- experience of working in a team in multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural environment;
- experience in working with or within other EU institutions
- Fluent in French or other EU language
would be considered as strong assets.
Specific conditions of employment
The signature of the contract will be subject to prior favourable opinion of the Medical Service.
The successful candidate might be required to undergo security vetting if she or he does not hold already a Personal Security Clearance to an appropriate level, in accordance with relevant security provisions.
The EEAS is committed to an equal opportunities policy for all its employees and applicants for employment. As an employer, the EEAS is committed to promoting gender equality and to preventing discrimination on any grounds. It actively welcomes applications from all qualified candidates from diverse backgrounds and from the broadest possible geographical basis amongst the EU Member States. We aim at a service which is truly representative of society, where each staff member feels respected, is able to give their best and can develop their full potential.
Candidates with disabilities are invited to contact CONTRACTAGENTS-HQ@eeas.europa.eu in order to accommodate any special needs and provide assistance to ensure the possibility to pass the selection procedure in equality of opportunities with other candidates. If a candidate with a disability is selected for a vacant post, the EEAS is committed to providing reasonable accommodation in accordance with Art 1d.4 of the Staff Regulations.
Application and selection procedure 2
Please send your CV and cover letter (with your EPSO CAST number) via email toRM-BS-3-HR@eeas.europa.eu
Deadline for applications: 03/11/2022 at 12.00 (CET).
Late applications will not be accepted.
Candidates shall draft their CV following the European CV form which can be found at the following internet address: http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/en/documents/curriculum-vitae.
The selection panel will make a pre-selection on the basis of the qualifications and professional experience described in the CV and motivational letter, and will produce a shortlist of eligible candidates who best meet the selection criteria for the post. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be informed about the outcome of the pre-selection phase.
The candidates who have been preselected will be invited for an interview by a selection panel. The panel will recommend a shortlist of candidates for a final decision by the Authority Authorised to Conclude Contracts of Employment. The Authority may decide to interview the candidates on the final shortlist before taking this decision.
It is recalled, that if the interest of the service so requires, the selection procedures can be terminated at any stage in the interest of the service.
1 Staff Regulations of Officials (SR) and the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants of the European Union (CEOS). For reference, see https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?qid=1570023902133&uri=CELEX:01962R0031-20190101
2 Your personal data will be processed in accordance with Regulation (EU) 2018/1725, as implemented by ADMIN(2019)8 Decision of the High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy. The privacy statement is available on the Europa website: (https://www.eeas.europa.eu/eeas/eeas-privacy-statement-data-protection-notice-purpose-processing-personal-data-related-public_en ) and on the EEAS Intranet: (https://intranet.eeas.europa.eu/page/eeas-work/data-protection/privacy-statements).